Old 12-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon,

I thought that you sounded familiar. I didn't realize that you were affiliated with The Carburetor Shop. I had spoken to you in the past regarding the date coding of my 7029270 RA IV Auto carb. You did say that in your opinion the date code within one week of the build date of the car was not unreasonable for this car. By the way, thanks for the primary metering rods that you cut for me. They work great.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SlowGTO (there aren't any slow '64 to '74 GTO's) - 7040567 is another unusual carb; however it may not be as rare as a buyer. This fits a California only 1970 455 HO manual transmission. If possible, I would like to see this carburetor to take some notes. We have never had one in our shop. Someone was looking for a California only 1970 Q-Jet a few months ago on these forums, but I don't recall which one. If you wish to sell it, post it for sale and maybe the interested party will see it.

Blkbrd - glad the parts did what you wished, always good to hear from a happy customer. I sincerely wish someone would reproduce ALL of the Rochester rods. I really dislike cutting them, but can when necessary. There are several "The Carburetor Shops"; I own the one in Missouri. We often get confused for the one which used to be in Ontario, California; but no relation.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon,
I was looking for a replacement air horn for my 7040573 carb a couple of moneths back, but then you told me how to fix my accelerator pump fixture (though I'm still afraid of taking a drill bit to the air horn so it sits in a box).

I read in an earlier post that you never had a 7040573 in your shop either. I'd gladly send you mine to take some notes on if you would re-do the carb for me (of course I'd pay you for your services).

Old 12-22-2004, 06:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi guys,

Would anybody care to estimate what a NOS 7043270 carb would be worth? I've been thinking about Ebaying it, but I'd like an idea of what it might bring.

I also believe I have a 7028277 carb. That's 68 Firebird Ram I, right? About 20 years ago, I bought out the leftover parts from a guy who raced a 68 Firebird Ram I car and a 70 Formula with a Ram IV in the early 70s. The firebird was wrecked, which is why they went to the 70 Formula. I got neither car, but I got a like new 68 Firebird ram air pan, the "31" heads, a posi rear with steep gears (3.90s, I think). All of the other parts are gone, but I remember getting a bunch of Q-jet carbs in the deal.

Below is a photo of another 68 Firebird ex-IHRA race car I purchased several years back. This car was raced by a totally different guy. This car was running a 412 ci with Ram IV heads, Doug Nash dual quad intake, and a 4-spd. It was built for the IHRA B-modified production.

Mike

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68_bird_1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	22833  

Old 12-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ponchomike,

If you've got the 7028277 carb and want to sell, you've got a buyer. I'll send you an e-mail directly.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Racerboy - unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on ones point of view), our repair shop is backed past the forseeable future.

We are not currently accepting restoration work. Hopefully, this condition will change in the next couple of years.

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess I have been very lucky. I was looking for a good core to put on my 70 GTO 400 4 speed and had put the word out for any Pontiac carb of that era. A friend came back with the name of an acquaintance with a correct # 7040263 in a NAPA rebuilt box. I made in offer of $200 and became the proud owner of this carb. Although not as rare as the carbs above, I still was happy to get this carb. I only had to re-color it.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon,

Can you make a guess on what the NOS 7043270 carb might bring on EBAY? I'm thinking about picking up a 2002 WS6 T/A convertible and plan to start Ebaying some of my more expensive items early next year.

As for the other 68 carb, I'm not sure what all I have. I took apart GTO, GP, and Firebirds for years, typically saving the top ends. I've got plastic storage crates full of Q-jets that haven't been opened since I moved away twelve years ago.

I think I checked and the date code on the NOS carb is the same date as the one on my 73 SD. It is not an over-the-counter.

Mike

Old 12-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I'm gonna spend 2K on a carb I want an increase of 150HP, 25 MPG, a smooth 500RPM idle and easy start up. I addition, I'd also like a few other things that I can't mention on this website, but ... $2,000 for a carburetor???

Old 12-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike - I started to email you, but see you are on earthlink. Give me a call during normal business hours, and I can offer some information.

Jon.

Old 12-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike,

If you don't mind looking into the '68 7028277, I'd appreciate it. I'll take whatever you've got if it is a correct carb. It doesn't need to be complete. If you've just got the main body, that will work.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon,

You can also email me at poncho_mike@yahoo.com

I don't have your phone number. I think I've spoken to you a few years ago when we were looking for a 69 Ram IV carb for a friend's Ram IV GTO.

It's a darn good thing he bought one five years ago. He paid about $600 for an original 7029273 with correct dates for his car, and I thought that was unreal. I almost didn't pay $400 for a 74 SD auto carb.

Mike

Old 12-23-2004, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jon,

I was looking for a 7040568 (1970 455 GTO, California w/auto) carburetor awhile ago. I bought a rebuilt carb. from NAPA (17054908 replacement number, 1178 date code) and have seen a couple date codes since (2259 and 2739 (this one is almost too close in date, but probably most correct)). Still looking for correct rebuilder.