Old 02-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On transamcountry.com, Jeremy posted a weight of 27 lbs ea.
I'm waiting on info to see if they'll clear a C5 brake setup...

Old 02-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

Same info I posted on TAC (Jeremy). 27 pounds for the 17 YO snowflake, 27.5 for my 17 x 8.5 Rondells they replaced, and 21 pounds for a 15 x 7 factory snowflake.

I mounted mine with factory lugs and caps with no problems.

Given the weight is less than a slightly smaller cast wheel in the Rondells, I am very pleased with the weight for a cast wheel.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm curious if there might be a metric lugnut that'll work for these... I have C5 brakes on mine, so my front studs are 12mm.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455 View Post
I'm curious if there might be a metric lugnut that'll work for these... I have C5 brakes on mine, so my front studs are 12mm.
I've seen 12mm snowflake lugnuts for sale on ebay.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool... I really like that the 17" versions look like a scaled up version of the original, vs. the big "honeycombs" that look nothing like the originals.

Now we need them to pull the same trick with honeycombs...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post

That's for SURE!

I would have thought that an ALLOY copy (knock off) of the 15 x 7" Honeycomb should have been the FIRST one to bring to the market,but it's the same old story.

The guys that have the $$$ to make the parts we want,really have NO understanding/concept of what the market really wants/needs. (and they keep proving it,over & over again)

Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Question Clear Coat?

The wheels look great.

Those that have recieved yours: Is there a clear coat?

R They Urethaned, Powder Coat, or other?

Thxs

Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Cool... I really like that the 17" versions look like a scaled up version of the original, vs. the big "honeycombs" that look nothing like the originals.

I have had conversations with someone there about this very subject. They do not have enough feedback from the public to warrant these parts. I countered with the fact they were used on more models than just F-bodys and they still didn't feel it was worth the effort and that the snowflake would outsell the Honeycomb....

I must say they were very willing to listen to my concerns and answered back and forth a number of times. They care about what they make. Just haven't heard the feedback they need. I would be first in line for a cast set. I want them to drive on as I have Welds to race on...

It would stand to reason enough input for these would lead to production.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Default 17" snowflakes arrived

My 17" gold snowflakes arrived. They are very nice. The packaging was real nice. Individual wheel boxes packed in two's in two larger boxes. I have enough boxes to ship two sets of used wheels. I have pictured them with some of my other Year One Burt Reynolds components mocked up on my BRE TA in progress.

My source for the BRE conversion is Year One and the Year One Bandit Forum. I am just a hobbyist, not an expert, so I respectfully defer all questions about the BRE conversion to these sources.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00323.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	158746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00324.JPG
Views:	3146
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	158747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00276.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	158748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00325.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	158749  

Last edited by Zirconia; 02-20-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 PM

I am very curious of the detail in them. I have what I would call 2 pair in my set of 4 WS6 snowflakes, taken off a WS6 80 T/A. The outer edge, the corner from the shiney flat part to the edge where the weights go on 2 have a sharper edge, and 2 smoother. Indicating that either they are 2 production houses or 2 lots and quality control was poor.

Mine all came off 1 car, believed strongly to be the originals from the owner of the car.

Resurfacing Wisconsin highways 2 long black strips at a time...

LS6 Injectors, Factory 3.42's (temp 9C1 3.08's and a G80 posi....), 9C1 air deflectors, 9C1 wipers, 9C1 body bushings, "YH" Caprice Wagon springs, ZQ8 Bumpstops, Wingspan Mod, polyurethane end links, factory RPO V4P, FE2, V08, GU6...
Veteran: US Army, 1986-1996 Firefinder Radar Technician 39CX5/35M
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 PM

Anyone figure out if they clear c5 brakes yet?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM

Default Honeycombs

Has anyone else voiced there interest in a cast honecomb wheel to Year One? I spoke with a person very far up the chain that said they didn't get enough feedback to warrant the cast pieces. The more buzz they hear the more they will consider doing these.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 AM

Discoquik, , which person would we need to talk to at YO about the honeycombs. I thought about buying the snowflakes to put on my 73 formula, but I don't belive they would look right. Now if they hod the honeycombs and the rims cleared the c5 brakes I would be all over them.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot72rod View Post
Discoquik, , which person would we need to talk to at YO about the honeycombs. I thought about buying the snowflakes to put on my 73 formula, but I don't belive they would look right. Now if they hod the honeycombs and the rims cleared the c5 brakes I would be all over them.
I can't recall his name at the moment. I will have to check at work. Intially, I sent an email through normal channels and wound up with this individual we are talking about. I will PM you his name tomorrow. It will take more than two of us to get this off the ground. Maybe the GTO guys would be interested in helping the cause.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot72rod View Post

You have a PM with contact info.....

Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Question 14 or 15" honeycombs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoquik View Post
I can't recall his name at the moment. I will have to check at work. Intially, I sent an email through normal channels and wound up with this individual we are talking about. I will PM you his name tomorrow. It will take more than two of us to get this off the ground. Maybe the GTO guys would be interested in helping the cause.
Please refresh my memory (at the office - no reference material handy here).
Didn't the early 2nd gen GTO's use 14" Wheels? Or was that on the Grand Prix's? I seem to remember that 2nd gen Firebird Trans Ams used 15" Wheels. Our 1973 Grand Am came equipped with 15". Would like to be able to purchase a set of cast honeycombs.

IMHO: The down side for me on the originals (honeycombs) has always been the "polycast" material molded onto the steel rims = Heavy wheels subject to polycast cracking etc. I'll never forget witnessing an original HO TA competing in a Gymkana slalom and pulling into the "pits" and seeing, hearing and smelling the "Snap, Crackle & Pop" of the polcast melting from the lugs/studs outward due to the disc brake heat transfer to the wheel.

Love the look of the wheels and would purchase new forged etc. honeycombs.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM

I honestly, don't know. I would think we should put together a petition of sorts or a poll that would combine the yeas or nays for "X"by"X" wheel dimensions and A-D pick your choice of sizes. Forward the results to Year One for them to gauge interest. What does everyone think?

Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Honeycombs

Quote:
I honestly, don't know. I would think we should put together a petition of sorts or a poll that would combine the yeas or nays for "X"by"X" wheel dimensions and A-D pick your choice of sizes. Forward the results to Year One for them to gauge interest. What does everyone think?

Sounds perfect. FWIW: 15 x 8" would be my personal interest.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of 17x9.5

Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Has anyone else voiced there interest in a cast honecomb wheel to Year One? I spoke with a person very far up the chain that said they didn't get enough feedback to warrant the cast pieces. The more buzz they hear the more they will consider doing these.

I asked Yearone about the possibility of reproducing honecombs when I was ordering my 17X9 snowflakes back in January and they said it might just happen. I also see now the price has gone up on the showflakes, luckily i bought them when they were cheaper and with a coupon code ($660)!! The quality and packaging on these wheels are first-class.