Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default W-72 Performance improvement

I am looking to make my 1979 TATA run a little better. I just had a new dual exhaust system installed with 2 1/4 inch pipes all the way back through Dynomax turbo mufflers with an H pipe. The engine is otherwise stock with about 50k miles on it. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all reasonably new. The carb has been overhauled and the heads were also cleaned up. What have any of you done to get your W-72's to run harder? I am looking mostly for just changing the distributor timing curve and carb rejetting. I do not want to change cams or anything else, just want to maximize what the factory gave me.
The butt dyno tells me that the new dual exhaust did not seem to make much difference in performance, I am actually disappointed so far......

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 07-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i loaned my manual out, but if you can find an old HO Racing catalog, they sell tech flyers. all kinds of neat articles, but one was where they took a stock 77-or 78 and did a super tune on it. they detailed how they redid the carb, distributer, and added 1.65 rockers and the difference it made.
myself, i had a 78 that i worked on. we rejetted the carb, recurved the distributer, added the 1.65 rockers, gutted the converter, added a 3,000 stall converter, and the car felt like it went from a 350 2bbl to a true 400 4bbl. this was too long ago to remember the the exact changes, but there is a big change done right, if i can find the link i will post it for you.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:49 AM
Suspended

If 71 bird was realy true he'd have said it made SOME difference but no matter what you do to the car without changeing partd i.e. heads, headers, intake, rear gears, torque converter, or add to it i.e. supercharger, turbo, You will only get minor changes, that engine was built with just so much hp that you can't make any vast improvements without makeing big changes. It will respond to the fine tuneing a little but it may be as big as 2 10th's or as little 1 10th in the quarter mile but don't expect any huge amounts. Hopefully you will understand this & not exoect to much & then be disappointed with the results , plus be mad at the person who tried to help.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
If 71 bird was realy true he'd have said it made SOME difference but no matter what you do to the car without changeing partd i.e. heads, headers, intake, rear gears, torque converter, or add to it i.e. supercharger, turbo, You will only get minor changes, that engine was built with just so much hp that you can't make any vast improvements without makeing big changes. It will respond to the fine tuneing a little but it may be as big as 2 10th's or as little 1 10th in the quarter mile but don't expect any huge amounts. Hopefully you will understand this & not exoect to much & then be disappointed with the results , plus be mad at the person who tried to help.
While I'd agree not to expect miracles from tuning, that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to be gained. Look at engines like GM's 8100 Vortech. With the same internal parts, it was sold as everything from a 325 hp to a 550 hp engine - all it took was a calibration change to wake it up.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you installed the exhaust did you change the exhaust manifolds too?
Change the manifolds to Ram Air or headders, to really open up the exhaust.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No change to the exhaust manifolds. I want the car to look stock yet.

I guess I need to be a bit more clear about what I am looking for. I am not expecting to add 100 horsepower, just better throttle response and slightly stronger feel throughout the entire range. I used to have a '76 455 4-speed car that was bone stock with 76k miles when I bought it. It still had the factory cat on it. I pulled the heads to repair some broken exhaust bolts. While the heads were off, I hot tanked them and did a valve job. The car then got true dual exhaust. I replaced the plugs, cap, rotor and wires. I also overhauled the carb and changed the springs for the centrifigal advance. The engine was entirely stock but it felt like I added 50 hp after just those items. It ran so much better and had incredible throttle response. I have already done those same things to my W72 and I can't tell any difference. So, there either has to be something else wrong yet or the carb needs some jetting changes. It runs as if something is holding it back under part throttle.

1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
2006 GTO
Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

can't give exact beginning numbers, but after the changes it ran several 15.0's in the quarter spinning thru 1st gear. if i had known how to drive back then would have been mid to upper 14's easy, which isn't too bad for a 180 hp rated 400 that still had the original exhaust with only the converter gutted.

adding the 1.65 rockers is like doing a small cam change. while they say you need to open up the push rod holes before installing the rockers, i have done it several times on the stock cammed 77-78's. i would never do it on one that has an aftermarket cam already added without doing the mod first.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave your stock exhaust manifolds on........the Ram Air manifolds look COOL but really don't add much,if ANY performance....There are guys running 12's through the log style manifolds.

Beyond carb tuning & dist. recurve for MAX performance,I'd toss in a 068 factory grind cam. (455 HO) It will support an A/C compressor at idle & will wake that engine RIGHT UP.

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Suspended

In reguards to mzb & the reference to the chevy engine your talking about it's not just a computer upgrade to make them run better or have more hp. You have to look at the cam change , the injector change , the intake change & the throttle body change to get that extra hp. A comp. upgrade will not give you a change from 325hp to 550 hp. If you did every one would be doing it & there wouldn't be any use for any aftermarket support for them. A comp. upgrade will give some increase but will NEVER gain 225hp from it by itself.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Suspended

3tas4me , you may want to change the cam if you don't want to change the basic look of the car. as it won't show then, but by just changeing to 1.65 rockers you need to do nothing to the push rod area as it doesn't affect the area at all. If you change the push rods you will have to open up the guides because they are a different diameter. The difference in the rockers is in the placement of the hole in the rocker where the push rod sits, it closer to the piviot point of the rocker so it doesn't affect the push rod area. The reason you would affect the push rod guide is the RA IV push rods are bigger around & longer then the stock push rods ou have at present. You can also add some lift by installing some of the new melling HD (raceing) push rods that are 9.130 long & that will increase the lift without affecting the duration which will give you the extra you might be looking for. That along with the o68 cam will really wake up the car. Don't forget you have to change the lifters with ANY cam change or you will wipe out the cam & lifter in a very short time, & don't forget to use the ZZDP additive when you do this because with out it the cam will go away while your trying to break it in, our new oil is JUNK.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I appreciate the replies, but as I stated originally, I do not want to get into changing the cam at this time. I am looking to maximize what the factory gave me with simple timing and jetting changes. HO Racing used to offer a kit for these cars that consisted of carb jets and distributor weights/springs. As Warbird said, if someone could find the HO article and post it that would help.

1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
2006 GTO
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff,
have you tried changing out the secondary metering rods on the carb (to richer ones)? That is a quick, easy change I've done to wake up the car ('74 455/auto T/A). I'm sure you'll want to change the jets & primary rods, too, but this is an easy one to start with.
I have a couple of good Q-jet books if you want to borrow them.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the timing set at now on your motor? If it's around 8* intial it's going feel like a pig. I usually start at 10 and go up from there but also check your total advanced. What springs are in the distributor? The factory use heavy ones that didn't fully advance until 3000+ rpms. In my T/A 6.6 motor,i used 1.65 rocker on the exhaust side.
And your fuel pump,what type is it. It might be losing fuel pressure at higher rpms,buy a good fuel pump. A decent running T/A 6.6 Trans Am should be in the mid to low 14's if it's tuned right.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going off of memory, but I believe initial timing on a W72 is 16 degrees BTDC.

1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
2006 GTO
Old 07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought I read where HO Racing published a diagram that changed the vacuum hose routing. That is something I would also like to see if someone has it.

1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
2006 GTO
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Beyond carb tuning & dist. recurve for MAX performance,I'd toss in a 068 factory grind cam. (455 HO) It will support an A/C compressor at idle & will wake that engine RIGHT UP.
I essentially built an engine just like this. 400, 6X-4 heads, 068 cam (Melling SPC-7) well tuned distributor advance and carb. Engine is great fun to drive and will flat out fly.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:52 PM

Smile W-72 upgrade

I owned a 1978 TA with that engine combo: I put true duals(2.5 pipes with turbo mufflers) and opened the hood scoop. I then recurved the distributor with an over the counter weight kit, used the middle (gold) springs and brass limiter bushing(got an approximate 22 degree curve at the crank), which worked out to 11 degrees in the distributor and moved the timing around to where the engine liked it (generally 12-16 degrees initial running premium gas), all centrifical timing in by 3000 rpm (at the crank). Ign total timing ran between 34 to 36 degrees, remember these heads were an open chamber design and if I had used 39-42 degrees I would have caved the pistons in- That would have ruined my day. Used all new Accel ignition components as well as a hipo coil. Then richened up the carburator primary jets 2-3/000ths, did NOT change primary metering rods, used a set of pontiac over the counter secondary metering rods-I believe 031 short tip ram air 4 variety- allowing for headers in the future. Also, ground off 1/8th of an inch off the top of the accelerator pump rod so it will sit higher and give you a richer pump shot when you nail it. The 79 w-72 cam, part#10003402 only has .374 lift on the intake side vice the more normal .406 lift which reduces the breathing at midrange and top end so you need to use 1.65 rockers on the intakes to balance out the breathing. installed poly locks and ran the engine, backed off each till it clattered loudly, turned it in till noise went away, then turned it down another 1/4 of a turn and tightened the adjustment, this allowed me 6000rpm when I needed it and kept the engine stable under load at lower speeds. installed 160 degree thermostat, carter hipo mechical fuel pump and Hurst linkage. Car had 3:42 gears so I did't screw with those, rear was posi. Performance improved significantly, could easily light tires up in first, bark second and third. Also installed 65-68 full windage tray and ram air oil pump, H.D. pump driveshaft and was able to cobble 79 L-82 chev clutch fan hub(noticeably looser-alot of milling/ drilling on that one to make it fit). Oh, one final item, No air conditioning and manual windows-who ever ordered this TA wanted a machine-the car was quick from jump street-I just tweeked it!!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

RE: exhaust. Have to disagree with 2ManyTAs. Log manifolds are a definite hindrance in the midrange+. I hate headers myself, and the RAREs with 2.5" outlets work well! Would love to have long-branches.

I once had a dual exhaust made/put on by a "reputable shop," and I specified 2.5" all the way and even provided the straight pipe. Later, upon inspection, they had used some pathetically restricted bends, especially toward the front of the car: maybe as small as 1 3/4". By the time I went back, they were out of business. So you might want to have a look at yours on a lift.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Suspended

tryconcom , all the Pontiac heads from 1967 were & are open chamber heads. The only heads that were closed chamber heads were the 670's in 1967 for the RA III engine. All the heads after that are open chamber heads. Unless you go back farther with some of the 389 heads. But again all 400 heads are open chamber heads.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tas4me View Post
I am looking to make my 1979 TATA run a little better. I just had a new dual exhaust system installed with 2 1/4 inch pipes all the way back through Dynomax turbo mufflers with an H pipe. The engine is otherwise stock with about 50k miles on it. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all reasonably new. The carb has been overhauled and the heads were also cleaned up. What have any of you done to get your W-72's to run harder? I am looking mostly for just changing the distributor timing curve and carb rejetting. I do not want to change cams or anything else, just want to maximize what the factory gave me.
The butt dyno tells me that the new dual exhaust did not seem to make much difference in performance, I am actually disappointed so far......
FIRST things FIRST........you didn't say what GEARS you are running.

3: 23 is stock 70 W72...have they been changed out,because that will really affect your BUTT DYNO readings....

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!