Old 05-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirebirdm@n View Post
Thanks for the mention. I'm active here on PY (now Ames?? lol) although I go on lengthy absences from time to time doing my own projects. That section is one of may favorite on the site. Ppl have continued to send me pics of more Machos over the years but sadly technology outpaced my capabilities to continue developing the website. Nowadays you almost have to be able to write code to buildout a nice web page. Its on my todo list to revamp the website. Pictures of Firebirds are everywhere on the net so that novelty is gone. I plan to convert the site to one that offers information, as much as I can find and post. I plan to keep the Macho section as it has been fun to keep track of which cars have survived etc... and hopefully someone finds the information valuable. I am sure most of the owners listed have changed and I spotted a few mistakes I need to correct, lol.

Sadly I ran into a few guys over the years, like Rob, that had a lot of real insight or real information on these cars and none ever wanted to collaborate with me to get more information out to the Pontiac community. That has always frustrated me. Its good to hear he's helping some people out individually. One owner had 3 or 4 restored Machos and didn't want anything associated with the cars posted on the site. Understandable I guess but a loss to the overall community.

So I am glad to see these posts from time to time. It seems the Macho community is even more alive and well than ever before. Hell I didn't know there was reunion planned. I may have to make plans to attend personally.

Also glad to hear another one has been found and will be restored. Can't wait to see the pics. Did #113 survive or did it go to its grave? I keep a list of known dead Machos in addition to the lots showing all the ones that have survived.
Great to hear from you Jimmy...and please don't despair RE your excellent website as - time keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping, into the future... (Sorry for the Steve Miller "Fly Like An Eagle" rabbit trail ) but it IS era correct...

Point is, personally I still refer to your Macho and other content for reference to the way it really was...cause we all know how sometimes history gets re-written, and most all cars now are presented at about 1,000% more detailed, aligned, perfected, etc. than when they rolled off "The General's" production line and onward to the niche tuners like Mecham, HO-Racing, Nunzi,...etc.

It IS great to see them survive and flourish, after how many years?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Macho View Post
Well with the discovery of #180, the list is complete! All of this information is confirmed by Rob Thomas, who has all of the DKM records from Dennis Mecham. In some cases, not all of the information was kept in the original records.

1. #100, White/Gold, tan interior, Hurst T-tops, 4 spd, 1st (HR 7/78, MT 6/78) NY.
2. #108, White/Red, red interior, hardtop, 4 spd, H-O Racing demo car.
3. #69, Blue/Gold, tan interior, Hurst T-tops, 4 spd, (CD 1/79) conversion.
4. #178, Red/White, white/red interior, Fisher T-tops, 4 spd, IL.
5. #179, Black/Red, ? interior, ? top, 4 spd.
6. #180, Gold/Brown, tan interior, Fisher T-tops, 4 spd, non A/C, WI/WY.
7. #199, Red/Black, black interior, hardtop, auto, (now black/gold) UT.
8. #202, Black/Gold, tan interior, Fisher T-tops, 4 spd, last, MO.

Car #204 was a customer car that was converted in September of 1979:
Gold/?, tan interior, Fisher T-tops, auto, OR.

Jim
Thought this community might find this interesting. I sent this to the firebird gallery page webmaster: Hello I've found some information on DKM 1978 #108. I visited today with Craig Hendrickson (from H-O Performance Specialties) and he confirmed that he purchased a 78 Turbo Macho from Dennis Mecham but told Dennis not to install the turbo. Dennis shipped him the "Turbo #108" car with the kit not installed. Craig said he had his guys in the H-O shop pull the 400 out, install a 455 and then H-O also installed the turbo. So they had a 455 Turbo Macho! How cool is that?
I asked Craig whatever happened to that car, and he said since he purchased the car in H-O's name, the car went to Ken Crocie when he sold him the company. When the company went bankrupt in the early 80's the car went away with all the company assets. Craig said Ken doesn't know where the car ended up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108 side.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	420925   Click image for larger version

Name:	108 rear.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	420926  

Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho 27 View Post
Thought this community might find this interesting. I sent this to the firebird gallery page webmaster: Hello I've found some information on DKM 1978 #108. I visited today with Craig Hendrickson (from H-O Performance Specialties) and he confirmed that he purchased a 78 Turbo Macho from Dennis Mecham but told Dennis not to install the turbo. Dennis shipped him the "Turbo #108" car with the kit not installed. Craig said he had his guys in the H-O shop pull the 400 out, install a 455 and then H-O also installed the turbo. So they had a 455 Turbo Macho! How cool is that?
I asked Craig whatever happened to that car, and he said since he purchased the car in H-O's name, the car went to Ken Crocie when he sold him the company. When the company went bankrupt in the early 80's the car went away with all the company assets. Craig said Ken doesn't know where the car ended up.
Fantastic info, thx for sharing. Any possibility of VIN # to assist attempted tracking?