Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, then is it safe to say the first cars that had this Air Dam was the 1973 SD Trans AM's?
The regular TA's didn't come with it that year let alone all the SD's.
But what was its true function, cooling I suppose?
I never noticed these on late second generation cars before and Im glad I asked.
Thanks, and HO-HO-HO to all.
Brewster

Old 12-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Why did you change your unusual Avatar? You don't need to throw a hissy fit just because the chin spoiler "thingamabob" is not exclusive to your precious 73 cars. LOL

For the record, I do not have that piece on my car yet. I will keep my eye out for one though so that I can be cool just like you.

Yes it is for cooling. It is supposed to keep air from going under the car and help direct it up through the cooling module.

2012 SRT8 Charger - 12.70 @ 111mph
Old 12-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ho-Ho-Ho to you too BOB!

I happen to know of a few stashed away and just sold one to a fellow Yacker this month. You know him and his car cause you where recently picking it apart.
Does Dick have them on his 74 cars, even the Z?
So your telling me the 70, 71, or 72's cars didn't have them from all that sarcasm.
Thanks Bob and HO-HO-HO.

Last edited by Brewster; 12-21-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

interestingly enough, my chassis and body parts catalog "all models thru 75--effective apr. 83" shows part number 484146 (i think that's the number on schneid's 1974 assembly manual page) under group 1.272 "baffle-deflector-gusset, radiator," listing for '73 All F/455SD with description of "baffle supt. lwr. air" when crossin to the same series illustration catalog, it is not shown in either the radiator grille pages under section 1 or in any of the front end illustrations under section 8.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at the press photo of the white SD car it's not visible either. I also have an original photo of the buyer of my SD with his car in '73 and it's not apparant there as well, but it is a pretty poor quality photo.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Brew,

"Does Dick have them on his 74 cars, even the Z?"

I have it (the baffle or spoiler or thingy) on the "project" car, it was with the car when I got it although a bit scrapped up. I cleaned it up best I could and put it on anyway. As I said earlier, the parts car I bought had one too. I have it and hope to fix it up a little and put it on T/A one. The Z never had such a device on it. The front spoiler does however extend further inward so maybe the Camaros didn't need it? 350's may not have needed as much air through the radiator as 455's either (Chevy vs Pontiac).

I bet Greg's car would look good under your tree Monday don't ya think? Like the new avatar much better too!

Happy Holidays!

1970 RAIV GTO 4-speed
1974 Original owner Z-28 4-speed
2008 SRT10 Viper Very Orange (was SD TA!)
2015 Challenger Hellcat 6spd (was SD TA!)
Old 12-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, I was thinking the same thing about Brewster's Christmas tree!

I even tried to make it easy on him by letting him include his Navahoe Formula in partial trade. This way his garage is flush with Brewster Green, and I could end up with a nice car in my alma-mata's (UT, still barely the national champs) colors.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, that would be cool (a Brewster for Christmas).
Bottom line is these cars are getting to crazy and I cant handle another big dollar item. However the garage couldnt look any nicer then with a flush in house.

Bob, you where not picking anyones car apart and Im sorry for the comment above.

Dick thanks for the reply to my questions and comp on Avatar.
Have a great Christmas to all,
Brewster

Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 PM

New to this thread, but if Longhorns are present, it can't be all bad!

Hook 'em Horns and Merry Christmas to all SD owners!

Mark

Old 12-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well Santa was good with a new Coffee cup with a picture of a Brewster SD on it, and I even received a SD disease hat, but I couldnt find that new car. Oh well, maybe next year?
Lumarkhood, welcome to the thread and Happy Holidays back at yahhhhhhhhhhh.

Muncie Trans question: What are the correct numbers for a 1973 M20 Muncie tag number? I have looked and came up with 332558 UA? could someone help me out on this one please, thank you!
Happy New Year to all you Pontiac Fans.
Brewster

Old 12-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

UA is the code for a wide ratio Muncie.

Yours has a tag on the tranny?
The partial VIN is stamped on the passenger side of the tranny back by the tailhousing.
The other side I think has the tranny ID codes. Something like P3D22A

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

lumarkhood, Hook'em back at you, and welcome to the Super Duty Forum!

Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Senior Chief

Brew - I've only seen one tag before myself. It's on my GTO and it is original to the car. In my case it has "478173 DL". The "DL" stands for M21 close ratio (with 3:90 or 4.33 gears). I suspect that the "478173" is the sequence number at Muncie and doesn't really mean anything other than how many transmissions were built that model year to that point. My GTO was a May 1970 build so with Muncie supplying transmissions to all of GM (3 speeds and 4 speeds) you can imagine that could add up to a big number in 1970. I would guess there were far less Muncie's in 1973 so the number would ultimately be smaller. Again, just my guess, maybe someone else knows for sure.

UA is listed as the early ID code for the M20 in 1973. WD is listed as the late ID code in my books (although WD sounds like the Borg Warner trans to me) and the code would also be painted on top of the case.

Go Blue!! (as opposed to Go Brew)

1970 RAIV GTO 4-speed
1974 Original owner Z-28 4-speed
2008 SRT10 Viper Very Orange (was SD TA!)
2015 Challenger Hellcat 6spd (was SD TA!)
Old 12-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeap, I got the correct tranny # matching in the car however the mfg tag on the driver side is missing. Im looking to replace it with the correct tag if possible.
I came up with the part number for 1973 Muncie M20 as 332558 and wide ratio gear code as a UA for the same year.

Need to confirm this would be on the tag similar to your 70 gto tag for the m21.

Any help to confirm my search is appreciated.
Thanks, Brew

Old 12-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

165th has his car on Epay and its almost to six figures.
Keep an eye on that one.
Im thinking it brings +140k but maybe more. Nice car even though it has alot of miles her, she still has all the boys looking.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6097&rd=1&rd=1

Old 12-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

Dick is correct on the trans codes for the 73 M20 Muncie 4-speed. The UA was the early (pre-emission change) code. WD was the late (post emission change) code.

The only difference is the location of the TCS switch, it is on the 1-2 shift shaft on the UA and the 3-4 shift shaft on the WD. The early emission system added vacuum advance on the 1-2 shift, the late system added advance on the 3-4 shift.

As has been discussed before, all 73 SD cars came with the wide ratio M-20 Muncie trans, and all were built after the emission change. So the correct trans code for a 73 SD car is WD.

I know of only one exception to this, I have seen a 73 SD TA with an M-21 trans. It has the vin stamping and appears to be authentic. I believe it to be an assembly line error.

I think only a few cars came with the tag on the left side of the trans. I have not seen one in place on some very original 73 cars. Brewster, your green 73 doesn't have a tag does it?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

toomanybirds,

NO my car M20 does not have the tag and Im trying to find out what to look for since its one of the few things left not finished.
Its the correct number match tran however it did not have the tag on it so I figured I should find one.
Any help would be great, thanks.
Brewster

Old 01-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Build Sheet

I have purchased my uncles 1973 Brewster Green Super Duty... He is the original owner, I would like to find the build sheet. I contacting him and he say's he has never attempted to look for it. I have checked the basic spots. Has anybody found there Build Sheet in a wierd area?

Old 01-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congratulations. Post some pics when you get a chance and tell us about it a bit more about it. And don't forget to register it in the registery. I think there's a link a little earlier in this thread. Have you checked under the carpet, behind the door panel, above the glove box?

Last edited by SD73; 01-14-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:37 PM

This was my Uncles Dream car he wanted to buy when he was younger. He wanted a Brewster Green Super Duty. He finally found exactly what he was looking for up in Canada. This is a Canadian Equipment Super Duty, but has been in Michigan its whole life. 71,000 original miles, Auto, A/C car. My Uncle Registered the car back in 1986 in the original Registry. Its the first Green/White S.D. on the list. It looks like there is only one other Green/White S.D. on the list. I was a young boy when I first fell in love with the car. It was two Christmas's ago when I over heard him say he was thinking bout selling it. My cousin(his son) is not a car guy. I am the only car guy in the entire family, and he wanted to keep it in the family. I bought it and after a bunch of research, have dicovered how rare the car actually is. I am on a mission to find the build sheet. The places I have checked so far are, on top of the gas tank, behind the glove box, under all seats, behind the back seat with no results. I have attemped to look in the door panels but that looks like a job all in itself. The pictures are from the first day I picked it up, and the first car show.........Thanks for any other help in advance, Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sd1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	79127   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	79128   Click image for larger version

Name:	sd3.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	79129  

Last edited by 73brewstersd; 01-14-2007 at 04:45 PM.