Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-16-2023, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hagerty insurance

As my policy is getting ready for renewal I was looking around and I wanted to take inventory of some of you guy’s experience. I have Hagerty at 65k. When this project first started I had a break in and had a lot of my parts stolen (some with no receipts) and they paid promptly no hesitation. Now I am reading on BBB and others that they got bought by a company called Essentia and have gone in the toilet. I need someone who is gonna cover me and let me drive it. Not as a daily driver, I won’t be exceeding Hagerty requested 7500 miles but it will get driven a lot. I have my car, my truck, and my wife’s new Equinox so showing other regular drivers isn’t a problem. Who are you using or even better what’s your experience with Hagerty for a car claim?

Old 07-16-2023, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm waiting to hear. I noticed on my Hagerty insurance card name change.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:31 AM
Senior Chief

I just went to JCTaylor. I shopped and around found it to be almost 1/2 the rate for a little better coverage. I went through the independent broker I have my house and other cars with. I had one very small claim with Hagerty, they covered it without issue. The price just kept increasing every year.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve had American Collectors and now Grundy, but no claims experience with either other than towing. Grundy is significantly less expensive than American Collectors and literally 50% less than Hagerty based on a recent quote for same level of coverage. This is in Maryland, not sure if it’s different anywhere else.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 07-16-2023, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard Grundy was very strict on mileage

Old 07-16-2023, 10:00 AM

Just compared a quote from Grundy against my current Haggerty coverage. Haggerty was six dollars less annually than Grundy for the same coverage.

The Following User Says Thank You to quizkid32 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
As my policy is getting ready for renewal I was looking around and I wanted to take inventory of some of you guy’s experience. I have Hagerty at 65k. When this project first started I had a break in and had a lot of my parts stolen (some with no receipts) and they paid promptly no hesitation. Now I am reading on BBB and others that they got bought by a company called Essentia and have gone in the toilet. I need someone who is gonna cover me and let me drive it. Not as a daily driver, I won’t be exceeding Hagerty requested 7500 miles but it will get driven a lot. I have my car, my truck, and my wife’s new Equinox so showing other regular drivers isn’t a problem. Who are you using or even better what’s your experience with Hagerty for a car claim?
Don't think Hagerty got bought out by Essentia. Essentia writes policies for them but you can go to the Hagerty website and buy your policy direct just as you always did. Hagerty recently merged with ALD Financial and went public and as part of this merger there was a 704 million investment by State Farm and Markel Corporation and other parties. It's confusing but bottom line is that Hagerty is still in the same business but is now part of a conglomerate.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I heard Grundy was very strict on mileage
You’ll have to call and see - I know in my case 3k miles a year is allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizkid32 View Post
Just compared a quote from Grundy against my current Haggerty coverage. Haggerty was six dollars less annually than Grundy for the same coverage.
Probably based on the state of residence. I have 50k on the bird and 45k coverage on the Lemans - Grundy is $650 a year for both, Hagerty was nearly $1300.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 07-16-2023, 10:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had Grundy for a while until I found out that they do not have a towing plan in Virginia. I have my 68 GTO with an agreed value of $55,000, upgraded towing and I keep the car if it's ever in an accident and deemed "totaled". I pay $475 a year. What have you heard about Hagerty that gives you the impression that it's in the toilet? I don't know if these other classic car insurance companies will allow you to keep the car if it ever gets totaled but I know I have a lot of money invested in my motor and trans, no way would I want to give that up.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I have a stated value policy through State Farm. No mileage or usage limits. Road side, no deductible glass etc. it’s functionally like my modern vehicle policies, just with a stated value.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a friend that has had two REALLY bad accidents with Hagerty.One was a 61 Ventura bought at BJ for big bucks and the other a resto mod B body Olds.Both were caused by someone running a red.Huge damage to both.Hagerty took care of them being done too the same condition before the wrecks.No question of how good their coverage was.FWIW,Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 11:09 AM
Senior Chief

I've had JC Taylor now for over 25 years! Excellent and I needed my windshield at one point replaced which is a properly date coded unit. They covered it without any issues. I pay about $1200 a year for an agreed value of 190K. I might have to bump that up a bit with recent values climbing after all the Barrett Jackson auctions. Grundy, Hagerty, etc. I've heard are all very good, but my Independant insurance agent recommended JC Taylor years ago, so I've stayed with them. If I were you, I would contact all the companies mentioned and talk with them about what you want. Then make a decision. I would stay away from the large insurance companies like State Farm, Allstate, American Family, etc. because most of them only offer "stated value" policies as someone mentioned. Many horror stories about "stated value polices" so avoid them and look for "agreed policy" collector insurance companies. Be prepared to get an appraisal on your car as well. Good luck!!

Last edited by Ram Air IV Jack; 07-16-2023 at 11:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ram Air IV Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 12:09 PM

I've had Hagerty for some time now. The right rear quarter panel on my Camaro got hit and needed to be replaced. The repair shop I use has a good working relationship with Hagerty. I dropped my car off with them, paid the deductible and got my car back 3 months later with all new metal and a paint job that perfectly matched and blended in.

The Following User Says Thank You to JLBIII For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
I have a stated value policy through State Farm. No mileage or usage limits. Road side, no deductible glass etc. it’s functionally like my modern vehicle policies, just with a stated value.
Same here, on all my cars. Hagerty was close to triple the price when I shopped with them and the person from Hagerty said I had a "very good policy" with State Farm.... Ironically my State Farm agent told me they just merged with Hagerty..... However I have never made a claim.

Another company I shopped with (the guys I have Home owners and shop insurance through) said State Farm has a very good "specialty car policy" and would be hard to compete with.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Same here.

When my hood latch failed on the highway and my hood folded up, they paid for everything right down to a new windshield which had a small scratch. I spoke with the adjuster regarding the rarity of a replacement hood and he told me that if I wanted to wait until I located an NOS one, they would keep the claim open indefinitely. They even covered the repair of the radiator core where it had rusted around the bushings and caused the nose to droop over the years and misalign with the latch.

I can't say enough good things about State Farm.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemans67 View Post
I just went to JCTaylor. I shopped and around found it to be almost 1/2 the rate for a little better coverage. I went through the independent broker I have my house and other cars with. I had one very small claim with Hagerty, they covered it without issue. The price just kept increasing every year.
I've had J.C.Taylor for my "collector" cars since 1983. Years ago I had a claim where all the extensive chrome trim from a late 50's Mopar got destroyed when the chrome shop in NC burned down and all his customers lost their chrome parts. J.C.Taylor had me acquire NOS parts that were either perfectly re-chromed or NOS. They had an adjuster come to town who looked at all the parts and my receipts. They promptly ;paid for all of it, no questions or problems. I don't know what their current mileage restrictions are but judging from the mileage I put on out 2nd car it won't be a problem.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 07-16-2023, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got a policy with Haggerty for my 68 GTO, $57k, non daily driver, $586 in NY.

I went to the Progressive website for a comparison before I bought the Haggerty ... the Progressive site sent me directly to the Haggerty website.

I have my house and drivers with State Farm, but my agent is annoying.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had Hagerty for about 10 years now. The rates DO go up every year and I have never had a claim. I had some difficulty getting over 25K of coverage with them on my 62 Catalina SD clone. I did my best to explain that 25K would probably not cover the trim replacement in a serious accident. So it became a back and forth negotiation to get enough coverage on it. I do like their "restoration" policy that covers a car not on the road but in restoration. High limits for very low premiums because the car is not being driven. Based on what I read here though, I am going to shop my policies next year and see if I am getting ripped off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2023, 08:00 PM
Senior Chief

Have not had to file a claim, but found the best rate with American Modern Insurance. Signed up through Mopar guy insurance agent that was local to me.

Check the link and you can search for nearby agents for a quote.

https://amig.com/insurance/collector-car/

Old 07-17-2023, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Stated value only determines how much your premium is. It has nothing to do with what you will be paid in the event of a claim.

"What is Stated Value?

Stated Value is coverage that reflects an amount that is “stated” at the onset of the policy. You tell your insurer what your car is worth (with proper documentation) and it is insured for that amount. The caveat here, however, is that the insurance company can choose to pay you either the Stated Value or the Actual Cash Value, whichever is less."

If you want to have a State Farm adjuster determine the value of your car, after an accident, stay with State Farm.

My personal experience with State Farm adjusters has not been good. They try to do everything but pay a claim properly.