Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 PM

Default 68 Quadrajet

I have a 68 Quadrajet with the divorced choke. Someone previously messed with the choke bracket. Choke will not close all the way when closed because someone bent part of the assembly. Went on www.carburetion.com and they have the bracket assembly. looks like there is a shaft on backside that appears to go into carb. Wondering if anyone has ever installed one of these brackets and is it a fairly simple job?

Old 12-05-2019, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pictures?

Old 12-05-2019, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think he's talking about the choke shaft that enters the right side of the carb and connects to the choke flapper rod behind the vacuum break bracket.

It's not advanced work ... but it's tedious to get that shaft attached to the lever that is inside the carb. The shaft goes into a keyed lever inside the carb which is attached to rod ... which goes up to the flapper.

Inside the carb is a piece that looks like this:

The shaft on the back of the vacuum break bracket goes through the hole in the carb body and into the squared off hole of this lever. The small holes are what the rod connects to that goes up to the flapper.

This piece is just kind of flopping around in the bottom of that cavity still connected to the rod that goes up to the flapper. You have to kind of move the flapper around and try to get the choke shaft through the body of the carb and into that squared off hole at the same time.

Link to a picture of the part if you can. I did it on the bench and found it tedious, should be able to be done without removing the top of the carb. If the carb in on the car you might end up with a sore back.

Before you buy anything, see if you can just bend something back in place, some parts were meant to be bent for "adjustment" Also realize that the choke won't close all the way when cold with out moving the throttle open, then it may snap shut.

Hopefully someone that knows more than me will post.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The choke rod is one of those things that were made for adjustment

Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 PM

here is a pic. Someone bent the crap out of the lever. Will take carb off as it would be easier. Thanks dataway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	526058  

Old 12-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you draw an arrow on the part in question? the rod & lever Data is refereeing to is inside the carb. Well, sorta...... But hidden until you remove the choke assembly from the side of the carb with the flat blade screw. I just had this apart on my carb to clean & lubricate the fast idle cam as it was hanging up. I'll check if I took any pictures, but I don't think I did....

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-05-2019, 09:42 PM

Had a hard enough time posting the picture, lol. I was talking about the choke pull off bracket. I had seen a place that sells the whole bracket assembly that has a piece on the backside that goes into the carb. If u look at the choke pull off rod, the cam arm in front of it should be straight not bent. Because of the bend in it choke does not fully close. Might try removing carb and see what I can do.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm having a hard time following... Is it a lever or a bracket that you are talking about. Nothing obvious in the pic?

Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my 704 carb ... not exactly the same as a 68 702 but still a divorced choke model.

You can see the difference in the levers, although I gotta say, without the carb in front of me I couldn't tell you how that would effect choke flap position.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carb-7041264-4.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	526064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carb-Question.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	526065  

Old 12-06-2019, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This?

If so, I think it is intended to be bent for adjustment.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1554979135737.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	526066  

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
This?

If so, I think it is intended to be bent for adjustment.
I believe thats what we are wondering, except that's just for opening the choke a bit after start up & shouldn't impede a full closure at all. In the picture it sure looks fine.

with the throttle held open slightly, the choke should snap all the way shut, but seeing there is no thermo spring or linkage from the missing part, I'm guessing that might be the whole problem & we've all just overlooked that.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-06-2019, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could be. Without the spring you would have to put pressure on it with your finger to see how everything operates together with the throttle position.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I believe thats what we are wondering, except that's just for opening the choke a bit after start up & shouldn't impede a full closure at all. In the picture it sure looks fine.

with the throttle held open slightly, the choke should snap all the way shut, but seeing there is no thermo spring or linkage from the missing part, I'm guessing that might be the whole problem & we've all just overlooked that.
!!!!!!

Old 12-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a great picture I found with google. You can see where the adjustable linkage is between the temp coil and carb.
I can just make out the hole on your linkage where that should be attached

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
The Following User Says Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I assumed the OP knew he was missing the choke coil ... but I could be wrong in that assumption.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Shiny has the part in question circled. The pic I posted was when I got car in October and Thermo spring and rod were missing. I did order a thermo spring and rod from Ames and installed but have not taken a new photo of it. Choke still does not work properly and I saw the lever that Shiney circled on my carb pic, is bent so far forward that the choke plate will not close all the way even with opening the throttle. There is quite a difference between the lever on mine and the pics posted by Data and 68 Ragtop. Theirs are relatively straight but on mine someone bent it quite a bit. I was researching on a site and saw that they have this whole bracket assembly available. I did not realize that the backside of assembly went into the carb and attached to lever inside. I will take my carb off and try to straighten lever out so choke works properly or order the whole bracket assembly. Basically I wanted to know how much of a pain it was trying to install the assembly to lever in carb. Thanks for all the input.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep ... someone went hog wild on the bending on your carb If it will bend back without breaking ... no reason not to use the parts that you have.

By the way, my carb functions nicely with the part in question in the same position as shown in the photo without any noticeable bend.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That tang that is circled in the photo is made to be bent. It adjusts how tightly the choke flap can close. When high vacuum is applied to the dashpot (at idle) the kink in the rod hits the Tang and slightly opens the flap so it's not running too rich at startup. To set it- With vacuum applied to the dashpot, you measure the gap at the leading edge of the flap and set it according to a set measurement for the model number.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk