Old 07-03-2022, 06:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question ACC CODE LIST; FILL IN THE BLANKS...

... I have an accumulation of 64-67 ACC codes as I'm sure most of us do.

On this list there are a few shared and/or different applications used from factory to factory for the same codes. As well some missing.

My question is for Group 4 Code H, I have never heard of any option for this and until just recently have never seen a tag with a 4H code.
Several of the online decoder sites don't even have this??

Anyone know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACC CODES.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	593625   Click image for larger version

Name:	4H.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	593628  

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 07-03-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the BHC for this Tempest?
Might be able to deduce something from the options on it.

Is it a 6 cylinder engine car?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-03-2022, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is a OHC 6 with Sports Package "SPRINT" no known paperwork with it.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would wonder if Fisher body would mark the cowl tag for the 6 cyl. because they would need different frame mounts?

Have any other cowl tags from Sprint Tempests?

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-03-2022, 04:28 PM

Just for curiosity I did some checking including the GTOAA archives and didn't find anything on the "H" code in accessory group 4. I read that the GTO identification guide (Eric White) book has a lot of codes but I don't have the book.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only way to know if it was built with a 6 is in the Vin.
Trim tags offer nothing on that.

I too have checked all the know resources with the same results but
somewhere in the past I found an H designation for group 4 but again zero information.
That's why this '66 has be looking again

Old 07-03-2022, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I read that the GTO identification guide (Eric White) book has a lot of codes but I don't have the book.
This car isn't a GTO, so it may have codes that may never show up on a GTO tag. (such as the 'H'?)

I still bet that the code would apply to something that pertains to the Tempest style and not the GTO.

Old 07-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old thread showed 4H coded on the Trim Manifest from a '66 GTO built at Baltimore (codes weren't regurgitated on the Data Plate at Baltimore).

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com....php?p=5775222

Just a wild guess. Head Restraints were an option in '66 for the first time. They were very rare that year. Any chance this Sprint included the Head Restraint option?

Old 07-04-2022, 06:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea I've looked back on several of those old post, all with the same result.

This '66 has the Punch-out in the tag denoting Shoulder Belt Provisions but there are many cars with this and no 4H code,
as well I've observed some with shoulder belts and also no 4H code.

I've been trying to drag more details out of the seller in hopes to figure it out.
It is a first for me and I'm amazed that in all these years no one has pinned it down.

Old 07-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I would wonder if Fisher body would mark the cowl tag for the 6 cyl. because they would need different frame mounts?
:
No - at the point in which the frame mounts were installed on the chassis line the body would still be in a totally different part of the building.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-04-2022, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post

I've been trying to drag more details out of the seller in hopes to figure it out.
It is a first for me and I'm amazed that in all these years no one has pinned it down.
Sometimes the passage of time makes it harder, rather than easier, to figure out.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-04-2022, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Keith.
Didn't think of that.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, I'm not sure you understood my suggestion since you commented about the Shoulder Belt provision.

I was referring to the '66 Option Sales Code 571, Headrests.

Is the Billing History Card available? It would be easy to determine if the car was equipped with Headrests from the BHC.

AFAIK, 5 Group code 4H did not exist prior to '66. We have evidence that it was optioned on a '66 GTO and a '66 Lemans Sprint, so not specific to either.

The Headrest option was very rare. Consider that they could be missing from the Sprint today because somebody "had" to have them for a GTO and swapped them out. Would need to check the BHC to know for sure in that case.

Pretty certain 4H was assigned for the first time for '66 and available on many if not all models.

Headrests would be one such new for '66 factory option that also would have involved Fisher Body I believe. It also was sorta common for the assigned code to use an alpha character related to the option name, in this case an H for Headrests.

If not Headrests, look for some other new for '66 factory option that involved Fisher Body.

Seat belt stuff was always coded in Group 5 and that was apparently true for the '67 Shoulder Harness option. Don't know the 5 Group code for them in '66 but I would expect a Group 5 code was assigned.

Old 07-04-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would add to Keith's thought about the passage of time that it is especially hard when codes don't apply to the GTO.

The "lesser" models are not the darlings of the hobby. When I unraveled the 4G code for '64, I had very few Tempest and Tempest Custom records from which to glean information. I eventually tied the 4G to the Decor Moldings which were standard on the Tempest Custom but seemingly coded on the Data Plate despite them being standard content for that Model Series. They were available on the Tempest as part of the Decor Group option (not available as an individual option). IIRC, I never found a Tempest record with the Decor Group option or if I did, it was not from a Pontiac Plant or KC Plant build (only plants that regurgitated the 5 Group codes on the Data Plate). So my conclusion is still subject to revision even to the present time. But little chance that the hobby will ever find a better explanation since the 4G has no relevance to the '64 Lemans with or without the GTO option. Not many '64 Tempests or Tempest Customs in the hands of collectors that might be interested in the study of their Data Plates.

Very difficult to interpret for rare options. If your build is the only one in evidence with a particular 5 Group code, few hobbyists are interested in researching it. There is always the chance that a particular code was embossed erroneously. Trying to sort that will drive one to insanity!

Old 07-04-2022, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the one from my '66 Tempest Custom. I always believed that the 4G was for the unique chrome strip running down the side, but could never figure out the 4H. No headrests by the way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66 Tempest Custom DP.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	593697  

Old 07-04-2022, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the BHC for yours?

I just looked again at the Baltimore GTO Trim Manifest from the earlier thread and see that it also includes 4F, 4G, and 4H.

It is entirely possible that 4G took on a new meaning for '66 and perhaps it and the 4H point to moldings that were used for the entire A body line-up and not optional per se.

I'd be interested in studying a few '66 BHCs to see if anything jumps out.

Somebody that is familiar with the '66 moldings for each A body Model Series might be able to make a connection.

Bummer that my Headrest hypothesis didn't pan out.

Old 07-04-2022, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, I notice that the 2 Model Series 35 Tempest Customs noted in this thread plus the GTO in the earlier thread are all Body Style 17 2 dr. Hardtops. I don't know if that is significant.

It may be that the 4G and 4H were coded by Fisher Body on the Trim Manifests for a GTO (and maybe the Lemans also) but were considered standard content for those Model Series so left off the Data Plate but on the Model Series 35 Tempest Custom (and maybe the Model Series 33 Tempest also) it was coded on those Data Plates and not considered by Fisher Body as standard content even though whatever it indicated may have been standard content as far as PMD was concerned.

This would be about the same idea as what I concluded about the use of the 4G code appearing on the Data Plate of the '64 Tempest Custom Data Plates.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found a '66 Tempest Custom on eBay.

Body Style 07 Sport Coupe.

Has the 4G on the Data Plate but not the 4H.

Wonder if anybody here knows the molding differences between a 3517 and a 3507?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	593715  

Old 07-04-2022, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here’s the card from mine. Order sheet as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Do you have the BHC for yours?

I just looked again at the Baltimore GTO Trim Manifest from the earlier thread and see that it also includes 4F, 4G, and 4H.

It is entirely possible that 4G took on a new meaning for '66 and perhaps it and the 4H point to moldings that were used for the entire A body line-up and not optional per se.

I'd be interested in studying a few '66 BHCs to see if anything jumps out.

Somebody that is familiar with the '66 moldings for each A body Model Series might be able to make a connection.

Bummer that my Headrest hypothesis didn't pan out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	818AD6BE-84F3-4F53-9EF3-05A64796F39A.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	593740   Click image for larger version

Name:	71669854-FD4C-4D20-A07E-8998B73599F3.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	593741  

Old 07-05-2022, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea John, I definitely missed that.

As already confirmed this '66 Tempest Custom with its medium blue bench seat interior has no headrest.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temp cust.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	593746   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 ACCESSORIE CATALOG (23).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	593747   Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 ACCESSORIE CATALOG (24).jpg
Views:	65