Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 06-28-2018, 04:13 PM

Question tripower center carb

I have a 60 tripower with a center carb # 7008597. I know its not correct but its what the car came with. On this carb, above the each rear mounting stud, is a hole that goes just under each throttle plate. If I plug these holes I think I will get normal vacuum, its low, but will I affect any other functions? Also, can I close up the bowl vent on this carb, NM heat is vaporizing this bowl and making it tricky to start in the morning, will this affect anything?
Thanks for any help, later.
6-pack

Old 06-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Suspended

I believe that number is for a late 50's Chevy Tri-Power.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the info Chief on identifying the carb, can you help with my 2 questions?
thanks,
6-pack

Old 06-29-2018, 03:08 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Fuel in the bowl needs atmospheric pressure on it. I don't see how it could work with the bowl vent plugged. But I've often wondered if adding a small orifice to the vent would reduce fuel evaporation, but still allow correct pressure in the bowl?

Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The drilled holes is above throttle plates and are there to vent vapors for easier hot starts. Function is the same as the slotted bowl gasket used in non-Chevy units.
Since the holes/slots are above throttle plates they will not affect intake vacuum.

You may get by plugging the outer vent controlled by the pump lever since there is an inner vent, but the fuel will still evaporate.
With a mech fuel pump it might take 10 seconds or so for the pump to fill the carb in the morning, nature of the beast and described in Owners Manual, "Start Procedur". An electric fuel pump will solve this if needed.
HTH

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 06-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kenth is correct. Those holes above the throttle plates do not affect vacuum. They do help with hot starts to allow fuel vapors to leave the venturi area.

The outer vent is much smaller than the one inside the airhorn. The outer one is to allow atmospheric pressure to enter the bowl at idle. The one inside the airhorn is necessary to allow fuel to rise & fall in the float chamber. To slow down evaporation when the car is going to be parked a few days or more, I put a golf tee in the large vent in the airhorn. You need to remember to remove it when starting the car.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 06-30-2018, 06:15 PM

Default vented floabowl

In 1968, GM dropped the extra vent (the one activated at idle,) on the 2 barrel carbs.