THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint for outside 2 post lift?

Having my house painted at this time and they are doing a great job. I asked the guy half joking what he would charge to paint my lift and he quoted me $300. which I think is very fair with me buying the paint. Since I know next to nothing about paint what kind should I use? I was thinking a primer/sealer then epoxy type paint?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-08-2021, 03:19 PM
Senior Chief

I would not pay $300!..anyway, go to Napa and talk to them

Old 08-08-2021, 06:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m not sure. I can see $300- that is a lot of cleaning and masking.

Are you going to paint it to match the house?

Old 08-08-2021, 09:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Two or three coats of SPI epoxy primer and call it done.

Old 08-08-2021, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In an outside location, I wouldn't use epoxy as a topcoat. SPI epoxy primer does have some UV protection but it's still only going to last a limited number of years if the sun hits it. A high quality automotive 2-part acrylic urethane is going to be the best topcoat for outdoors. But it's going to be expensive. Recommended primers will be higher as well.

It might make more sense to spray this on it:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...ective-enamel/

Prep and primer as they recommend.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For an outside lift, I assume youre just trying to clean it up and take car of rust and prevent it from getting any worse, I would use tried and true rustoleum. Or you can find tractor enamel at TSC in a multitude of colours. I wouldnt go crazy with high dollar paint. $300 for labor isnt too bad. About what I would charge for a couple of guys for half a day.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

+1 on the Rustoleum. I've been doing ornamental iron work for 30 years, overall Rustoleum is the most cost effective, easy to repair solution. Very affordable, readily available, simple to use, and durability per dollar the best solution. Every five years or so check it over, any places that need touch up just sand and respray. Use gloss and pick a color that is not widely known for fading like Red.

I've been using it for years on railings, well casings, outdoor equipment etc. Not saying it will hold up as well as 2K, $300/gal paint, but the cost benefit analysis and ease of refinish or repair make it a very good choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it's got any rust on it, you might want to have it blasted first. If you have got one of those dustless blasting companies close to you, that would be a quick and easy way to get it done. Then use the professional Rustoleum primer followed by their enamel that I gave you the link to.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO