Old 11-14-2000, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I posted this on the old board but I'll reiterate the story for you newer folks:

Quite a few years ago, my wife and I were visiting my sister & brother-in-law in San Diego & the four of us and another couple went up to Yosemite for the weekend. The six of us drove up there in the other couple's '70 (I think) LeMans.

On the way back, near Sun City Ca., the whole dash lit up red and the driver pulled over to the shoulder. Repeated starting attempts did nothing, but the engine did make a strange cranking sound that I've heard before.

I took a look at the odometer, it was just over 50K miles. In the previous year I came across several Pontiac V8's that broke off the nylon teeth on the timing gear right near 50K miles. Same sound.

I told the driver it was down for the count.

Along comes the CHP. He takes us in his criuser to Sun City; it was about 10:00 PM. The sidewalks were rolled up. No help anywhere. We go back in his cruiser and get on the freeway. The officer then noticed a '69 Firebird ahead of us that was weaving side to side in the lane. He pulled the Firebird over and proceeded to give him the DUI test.

It turned out the driver was heading back to the Naval base in San Diego and was getting sleepy. The officer convinced the driver that it would be a good idea for him to take all of us back to San Diego. We would get a ride and keep him awake at the same time.

Well, it was not the most pleasant drive back, seven of us in a Gen 1 Firebird Sprint listening to the sound of Uriah Heap, but at least we all made it back.

The Lemans needed a timing chain; cost the owner about $200 at the time, including towing.

Regards, George

Old 11-14-2000, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I posted this on the old board but I'll reiterate the story for you newer folks:

Quite a few years ago, my wife and I were visiting my sister & brother-in-law in San Diego & the four of us and another couple went up to Yosemite for the weekend. The six of us drove up there in the other couple's '70 (I think) LeMans.

On the way back, near Sun City Ca., the whole dash lit up red and the driver pulled over to the shoulder. Repeated starting attempts did nothing, but the engine did make a strange cranking sound that I've heard before.

I took a look at the odometer, it was just over 50K miles. In the previous year I came across several Pontiac V8's that broke off the nylon teeth on the timing gear right near 50K miles. Same sound.

I told the driver it was down for the count.

Along comes the CHP. He takes us in his criuser to Sun City; it was about 10:00 PM. The sidewalks were rolled up. No help anywhere. We go back in his cruiser and get on the freeway. The officer then noticed a '69 Firebird ahead of us that was weaving side to side in the lane. He pulled the Firebird over and proceeded to give him the DUI test.

It turned out the driver was heading back to the Naval base in San Diego and was getting sleepy. The officer convinced the driver that it would be a good idea for him to take all of us back to San Diego. We would get a ride and keep him awake at the same time.

Well, it was not the most pleasant drive back, seven of us in a Gen 1 Firebird Sprint listening to the sound of Uriah Heap, but at least we all made it back.

The Lemans needed a timing chain; cost the owner about $200 at the time, including towing.

Regards, George