Old 08-18-2012, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rally cage harness question

I am ready to hook up my rally gauges that were already in my car. I'm also considering replacing the wiring harness in the engine compartment. My question is do non-rally gauge harnesses have the blue wire for the oil sending unit and the green wire for the temperature sending unit? I ask this because my harness is pretty cobbled up but I do have a blue and green wire cut way back where wires come out of their respective wraps.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine did...I have rally gauges now as well.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, green for temp sender & blue for oil sender is the same.
Non Rally gauge harness had the Green wire going to the Ign switch also to light the Temp light while cranking. If left connected, this grounds the Temp Gauge every time car is cranked and in short order ruins the meter movement. It must be cut.

Schematic of my wiring mods below.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rally Guages & HEI-Engine Running.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	294789  

Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 PM

Ouch! I hate to cut wires! Just extract the end of the green wire from the harness connector using a very small blade screwdriver to depress the detent. Then tape it off.

Just a personal preference.

By the way, the "green wire check circuit" knowledge has been around Pontiac for years and years. I discovered when I converted my '68 Olds 442 from idiot lights to gauges that no one really seemed to know about the green wire check circuit and the temp gauges on converted Oldsmobiles countrywide were pinning when they started their cars. Thanks to Pontiac, that knowledge is now out there for the Olds people as well!

Randy C.