Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Senior Chief

Default 70 LeMans Headliner?

I am getting ready to order a new headliner for my 70 LeMans. The original headliner is perforated cloth and I want to keep it OEM. I can get one in vinyl so did Pontiac offer a vinyl headliner back in 1970? Maybe as a upgrade?

Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were all cloth. I put a PUI vinyl replacement in my 70 and it basically was a POS. I also installed a Legendary one in another vehicle which also was vinyl. The stitching/craftsmanship on the legendary was much better than the PUI but they both were still vinyl material.
I was so unhappy with the quality and appearance of the vinyl repo's that I ordered and received a new headliner for my car from SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon who uses the original materials from GM and all the other manufacturers so you get the correct "fabric" headliner. It's was a little more than double the cost of the repo's but worth it.
I also used them for my vinyl top on the car and I'm seriously thinking about getting the original material for my seats including the correct comfort weave material because the PUI seat covers that my seats were done in are garbage. That kit came with my car when I bought it so I went ahead and used it.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the info. Here is the seller I am considering buying from on ebay: classicautotrimnv.
Since all the liners were cloth as you stated I will go with cloth. I want to keep it OEM.

BT

Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Senior Chief

Which `70 A-body cars had the cloth headliner?
My GTO has the original perforated vinyl headliner in it.

Håkan S

`70 GTO, 370 hp, 3:90, TH400.

Last edited by hakansan; 08-15-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beertracker View Post
Thanks for the info. Here is the seller I am considering buying from on ebay: classicautotrimnv.
Since all the liners were cloth as you stated I will go with cloth. I want to keep it OEM.

BT
If you want to stay OEM then you'll probably have to go with one made from SMS unless there is another vendor who has the original material and can make them. SMS' quality in workmanship is second to none in my opinion.
Not sure about your ebay vendor, you may want to contact them before purchasing if you truly want to stay OEM original. What color is your interior and headliner?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Senior Chief

interior and headliner are black. bt