THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default $10,000,00 a year taxes to look at this every day?

Almost $10.000,00 a year in property taxes to look out of my bedroom window and see this every morning.
Like they say you can fix up your house but not your neighbors.
Whats unreal is that when I put in for a zoning variance to add a third garage to my house these where the only people who showed up at the meeting, to claim that I would cause drainage problems. Note: the large hole in the roof at the chimney and no chimney cap. Drainage Problems?? been this way for over a year.

What a country!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-006F.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	349219  

The Following User Says Thank You to 1beautifuldaughter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Report it to the City. Turn about is fair play.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
The Following User Says Thank You to PMD1969 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

^ lol! I was thinking the same thing!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some neighbors are idiots. Have had a similar problem with one neighbor.
If code enforcement isn't doing anything you could take some pics & send them to his insurance company. That said I wouldn't take them from your bedroom window.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to deal with things like this when I lived "in town". It was a nice neighborhood but always 1 or 2 rental properties that looked like this. I complained to the alderman and the city and the owners got dogged till they fixed up their properties. One owner actually sold their rental and it was bought by a landlord who actually fixed it up.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
That's saying a lot when it comes down to that! Little relief for the straight shooter.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PMD1969 - I'm LMFAO!!!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Suspended

If they were the only one to complain about drainage , maybe you can ask for a study to be done for the drainage & if & when it comes back & says it drains ok then they will have no grounds to complain & you get your 3rd garage. Also can you pay like we do herre even if someone disagrees we can pay for the variance to be able to build anyway. ?? To a city or township money usually talks louder then small complaints. Here we can pay for the variance to go through. When I built my garage I just took the flat drawing to the city & said how much for the building permit, gave them the drawing & the cost to build & when she gave me the price I said how do I make the check out, & wrote it out as she was telling me how much so I didn't give her a chance to say NO. She stamped the drawing & I handed her the check & she gave me the permit. I'm now about 70% building on my property which if I would have asked if I could have built it , I'm sure they would have turned it down. But I didn't ask I just said how much for the permit & wrote the check which didn't give her a chance to think about it or turn it down. After I got the permit the guy next door complained but the girl at the city told him we gave him a permit theres nothing you can do now.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
That's saying a lot when it comes down to that! Little relief for the straight shooter.
Oh, that's rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beautifuldaughter View Post
Almost $10.000,00 a year in property taxes to look out of my bedroom window and see this every morning.
That's part of living around people. And that's a LOT of taxes to being paying to have houses so close together.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Suspended

Hopefully he got his garage despite their opposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
If they were the only one to complain about drainage , maybe you can ask for a study to be done for the drainage & if & when it comes back & says it drains ok then they will have no grounds to complain & you get your 3rd garage. Also can you pay like we do herre even if someone disagrees we can pay for the variance to be able to build anyway. ?? To a city or township money usually talks louder then small complaints. Here we can pay for the variance to go through. When I built my garage I just took the flat drawing to the city & said how much for the building permit, gave them the drawing & the cost to build & when she gave me the price I said how do I make the check out, & wrote it out as she was telling me how much so I didn't give her a chance to say NO. She stamped the drawing & I handed her the check & she gave me the permit. I'm now about 70% building on my property which if I would have asked if I could have built it , I'm sure they would have turned it down. But I didn't ask I just said how much for the permit & wrote the check which didn't give her a chance to think about it or turn it down. After I got the permit the guy next door complained but the girl at the city told him we gave him a permit theres nothing you can do now.
I attended a newly created HOA meeting in a "transitional neighborhood" where I own a property. An old man got up to complain that his neighbor "built a garage as big as his house" and it didn't have a window in it so he couldn't see what's going on in there.
(1) Bullcrap, the garage isn't half the size of the house which is mandated by codes. (2) The neighbor did the wise thing by not allowing some busy-body old man ability to snoop on him minding his own business.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
That was some years ago that I went for the variance, I actually won.
The funny thing is that when I turned around and said, "I'm trying to do the job tastefully for the good of the neighborhood, and not build the 1500 sq ft building I'm allowed to build without a variance that would be just 5 ft from your property right outside your back door".
They both shut up and sat down, and they passed my plan and I built my garage.

the way I figure it now is that they must have a pretty bad drainage problem right in the kitchen and bath area

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Was a regular bi level with two car garage,, The third one back with white caddy is the third one added with a bedroom above it. This was ten years ago when I built it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	349254  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1beautifuldaughter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Here you're allowed to build a fence and height is not controlled (within reason). I see a need for one.
Maybe a house shape one with green foliage?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice butts!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Was a regular bi level with two car garage,, The third one back with white caddy is the third one added with a bedroom above it. This was ten years ago when I built it.

Should of made your garage deeper!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Oh, that's rich!

That's part of living around people. And that's a LOT of taxes to being paying to have houses so close together.
you better believe it..thats water front taxes in michigan..jeez..for 10k a year i better be living on about 500 acres....i feel for ya..your neighbors are waayyy too close....

Old 01-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Here you're allowed to build a fence and height is not controlled (within reason). I see a need for one.
Maybe a house shape one with green foliage?
Here you can have a 6ft max hight fence from the front of the house back and 4 ft max hight from front of house forward,
For the good of an ascetically pleasing neighborhood of course,
I would need a 20 ft tall fence. which means another zoning variance

Old 01-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebo View Post
you better believe it..thats water front taxes in michigan..jeez..for 10k a year i better be living on about 500 acres....i feel for ya..your neighbors are waayyy too close....
We where considering moving but with the house next door looking like it does, we have to wait for some kind of improvements to happen next door or take a loss on the house,,, Not fair!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Lightbulb

Quote:
We where considering moving but with the house next door looking like it does, we have to wait for some kind of improvements to happen next door or take a loss on the house,,, Not fair!
How much do they want for the house next door? Check the address on Zillow.com and go from there. Maybe it's for sale, or would be for the right price.

ETA: One turn-down does not mean it's done forever. I would hire a local planner-ask a real estate salesperson or your attorney-to present it to the governing body (city council, planning commission, whatever) instead of doing the presentation yourself.

Make sure the planner knows the people on the planning commission or council-a local person will, that's why you're paying them.

When I was on city council I was always more likely to vote approval when a project was presented by someone I knew and had confidence in. For instance, the planner would have anticipated the almost standard complaints by neighbors (traffic, view, and drainage ALWAYS come up-it's ordinary) and would have had counterarguments or perhaps even studies ready to rebut the argument.

In my opinion, they're worth the money. Talk to one and see what it would cost.

Last edited by Bob Dillon; 01-13-2014 at 09:26 PM.