Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vin number

Just wondering is there a way of telling if your car came with a auto or stick by the vin code, without going thru the phs stuff...........just curious

Was checking up on collector insurance, gave them my vin...........they sent me some stuff about the car and it said auto.............when i bought it , it had a 4 speed in it..............now its a 5 speed, just wondering if someone converted to a stick.

Looking on the web, not sure how accurate this is, they said between your 4th and 8th letter..................mine is 176P3.................anyone with a auto have something like this...........

Thanks

Rich

Old 01-15-2024, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What year and car?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-16-2024, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Just wondering is there a way of telling if your car came with a auto or stick by the vin code, without going thru the phs stuff...........just curious

Was checking up on collector insurance, gave them my vin...........they sent me some stuff about the car and it said auto.............when i bought it , it had a 4 speed in it..............now its a 5 speed, just wondering if someone converted to a stick.

Looking on the web, not sure how accurate this is, they said between your 4th and 8th letter..................mine is 176P3.................anyone with a auto have something like this...........

Thanks

Rich
No.

Trans is not coded in the VIN.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-16-2024, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was wondering if the company used the VIN and had it checked with GM (or other companies) to see what options it came with?
(not strictly from the VIN breakdown)

With a newer vehicle I can get options that it came with.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-16-2024, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Weren't certain engine codes available with certain transmissions? The 72 and after VIN would indicate that.
For example;
1972 VIN engine code Y - 455 (L75) Coded YC with automatic only

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-16-2024, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 'Y' code wouldn't be for a 'YC' engine. Just for a 455.
Now some 455's only had automatics like the 455 Judges in 1970. (but 70 didn't have the engine code in VIN)
Technically the 455's could have either manual trans or automatics.
In 72, the 'X' would be for 455HO not plain jane 455.
Now if it was a Bonneville, a 455 may have been only automatic, would have to check references though.

Still think the company submitted the VIN somewhere and they got a list of options etc the car came with, like PHS.

Old 01-16-2024, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The 'Y' code wouldn't be for a 'YC' engine. Just for a 455.
Now some 455's only had automatics like the 455 Judges in 1970. (but 70 didn't have the engine code in VIN)
Technically the 455's could have either manual trans or automatics.
In 72, the 'X' would be for 455HO not plain jane 455.
Now if it was a Bonneville, a 455 may have been only automatic, would have to check references though.

Still think the company submitted the VIN somewhere and they got a list of options etc the car came with, like PHS.

Thanks Jonta............the car is a 66 gto..............this was thru a hagerty agent, i"ll check with him again .............maybe he just wrote it down wrong............although i have no idea on what trans came with the car in 66..........been a stick car the last 25 years ive had it.

Rich

Old 01-16-2024, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely 1966 didn't have a trans info in VIN. Only the build sheet or BHC would have the tranny id. (PHS)

Old 01-16-2024, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have the original engine? If so, what is the block code?

Old 01-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Definitely 1966 didn't have a trans info in VIN. Only the build sheet or BHC would have the tranny id. (PHS)

Thanks for that info............lol, as usual i had it screwed up, ask the agent about the trans being auto................he said not the trans, its for a auto............oh boy.

I think im gonna get that PHS.............just to see.

Steve................original motor long gone.

Thanks again guys

Rich