Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-17-2024, 11:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tri power install

Hi folks I'm finally going to be doing my long-awaited tri power swap. I am removing the four-barrel intake. It's an aluminum TP intake mating to 16 heads. Can anyone recommend intake gasket kit for the swap? Also any tips on install. Thanks, in advance.

Old 03-20-2024, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any brand name gasket set should be fine. I don't think any come with carb gaskets. Just buy them separately. Tips, make a list of everything you need and make sure you have it all before you start.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check gaskets to intake ports for alignment as most repo Tripower intakes are no good , have seen the parting line between ports into the opposing etc.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A tip would be to start all the the mounting bolts just snug between the heads and intake manifold. About 5-10 ft. lbs. Then use the long pull bolt in the timing case to pull the rubber doughnut tight to the timing case to avoid this common leak area. I would recommend going ahead and getting your intake gaskets from Butler Performance. This is because their rubber doughnut is thicker than Fel-pro and other typical gasket sets. Or if you don't want to go that route, coat the doughnut both sides with a small, thin film of RTV sealer.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:13 AM
Senior Chief

I decided to purchase gaskets with heat crossover block offs. Now is the time to think about this. Good Luck.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before doing any gasket install and bolting up set the intake on the motor with the valley pan installed and confirm that the intake does not rock side to side which would indicate that it’s lower flange area is hitting the valley pan.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks folks all the tips are appreciated. And will be exercised. I already ordered the felpro gaskets So I will use the RTV sealer on the O-ring. I'm not a mechanic but can do quite a bit. But would rather do it once with the tips than 2x without!

Thanks again

Old 03-21-2024, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always use RTV on the donut seal and never had a leak.