Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:58 AM

Default PV117 Max Car Cover: Surprisingly poor fit

In May, I ordered a PV117 for my '63 Bonneville convertible, fully expecting to use it at the POCI convention this year. As luck would have it, the car wasn't ready to go, so only tonight did I have an opportunity to try it out (it is actually a Budge NeverWet, which is a pretty good cover).

Although it's a Budge size 5, setting aside the semi-custom fit vs full custom fit, the cover is simply way too small for the '63 (it might make it end to end on a '61 Bonneville or even a '63 Catalina, but I can't get it all the way down around the bumpers, and as a result, the sides ride up above the rockers. As expected from a semi-custom fit cover, it is baggy at the windshield and rear window.

I'm not looking for an adjustment at this point as I realize that I should have test fit the thing when it first arrived. I just wasn't expecting such a poor fit from a Budge cover. I think it would be good to add some type of disclaimer to the catalog listing, however.

I'm also somewhat spoiled, in that I recently had to procure two California Car Covers for my pair of '56 Safari wagons. They were considerably more expensive, but fit absolutely perfectly (and yes, of course, they are truly custom covers).

'63 Bonneville Convertible
'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 11-14-2023, 04:59 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelsdad View Post
In May, I ordered a PV117 for my '63 Bonneville convertible, fully expecting to use it at the POCI convention this year. As luck would have it, the car wasn't ready to go, so only tonight did I have an opportunity to try it out (it is actually a Budge NeverWet, which is a pretty good cover).

Although it's a Budge size 5, setting aside the semi-custom fit vs full custom fit, the cover is simply way too small for the '63 (it might make it end to end on a '61 Bonneville or even a '63 Catalina, but I can't get it all the way down around the bumpers, and as a result, the sides ride up above the rockers. As expected from a semi-custom fit cover, it is baggy at the windshield and rear window.

I'm not looking for an adjustment at this point as I realize that I should have test fit the thing when it first arrived. I just wasn't expecting such a poor fit from a Budge cover. I think it would be good to add some type of disclaimer to the catalog listing, however.

I'm also somewhat spoiled, in that I recently had to procure two California Car Covers for my pair of '56 Safari wagons. They were considerably more expensive, but fit absolutely perfectly (and yes, of course, they are truly custom covers).
Rachelsdad, I apologize for the delay! Can you please send over some pictures and your information to myself? If we need to adjust how we have these listed or look for a replacement, we absolutely will. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!
Kyler @ Ames
(800)421-2637
kyler@amesperf.com

Old 11-14-2023, 06:50 PM

Done!

Thanks for following up.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
Old 01-18-2024, 12:31 PM

Just a quick public note of thanks to you, Kyler, and the rest of the gang at Ames for staying on this situation and working with me to something of a resolution. I could not be happier with the customer service you've provided. I wish it were not so uncommon today, but there it is.

Thanks again for everything.

'56 Safari
'82 Firebird SE
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachelsdad For This Useful Post: