Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Woodward Ave, Silver Bullit vs Blackbird

I thought this might be an interesting topic. I've been to the Woodward Dream Cruise 3 times and am a buff for the history of street racing around Detroit especially Royal Bobcat cars. I just love reading about this kind of stuff. Anyway, for those who don't know there was a 67 GTX back in the day called the Silver Bullet driven by a guy named Jimmy Addison who hung out on Woodward Ave. The car still exists today and has been restored by its current owner who displays it at the Cruise every year. His claim is that this car has never been beaten in a street race and was considered the king of Woodward Ave. A few months ago I was reading a thread on some forums (can't remember which one) where a few people posted seeing a race between the Silver Bullet and a black 68 Firebird in the early 70's. One poster said it may have been Jim Wanger's car that was called the Blackbird. One guy remembers that the Blackbird won the race, the other said that the race was too close to call. I was just wondering if anyone who grew up in the Detroit area remembers these cars and if the stories are true. A friend of mine has a 67 GTX and constantly goes on about the Silver Bullet being unbeaten. I would love to have some proof that it was in fact beaten and by a Pontiac!

Old 12-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

This kind of stuff is interesting and fun. Hopefully someone out there has some info.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I'm glad all this great information has been brought to light about the Blackbird. It is definitely a piece of Pontiac history as well as a legend of street racing. In the early 70's this car could run in the 10's when a real fast street racer was considered a 12 sec car. It was able to beat a factory engineer "tricked up" Hemi car which shows a well prepared Pontiac could beat anything. Thanks to the efforts of Dr. Schiffer the legend of the Blackbird lives.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is the silver bullet the car that was specially built by the engineering department to go out street racing and had 4-3" exhaust pipes coming out the back?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Is the silver bullet the car that was specially built by the engineering department to go out street racing and had 4-3" exhaust pipes coming out the back?
Yes, thats the car. After the Chrysler engineers were done with the car they sold it to Jimmy Addison for $1. They continued to supply him with parts out the back door to make the car faster. The body had been acid dipped and was about 500lbs less than a stock GTX. By the late 60's-early 70's the car could run in the 10's.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:46 PM

I remember the GTX. There was at least one article in the car mags about it. It was a factory car and was supposed to be a 9 sec. street car. When I came back from Viet Nam, I was looking for a 67 GTX. I saw a 66 GTO at the Pontiac dealer and bought it instead. The rest is history.

1966 GTO - 11.31@119 (3478 lbs) in 1979

1967 Firebird - 9.73@138 (2940 lbs) in 1986
400 cu in / 295-298 cfm RAIV / Lunati Cam 278/283 - .704 lift/5.13 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Eiler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Blackbird is currently under the care of PY member Dr Eric Schiffer.

I'll see if I can get him to chime in.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In August 08 I learned I was losing my vision. In the Spring of 09 we made plans to attend Woodward as my team of doctors recommended to my wife and I that we try to see and do as much as possible because I would eventually loose my remaining vision.

When the doctors told of this they asked what is the one thing I'd like to see that I had never seen before. The rattled off a list of things, such as Statue of Liberty, Grand Canyon etc. My immediate response was "Woodward". They looked at me and asked "where is that". I went on to explain the Woodward Dream Cruise but they didn't "get it".

So with all this in mind we planned our trip to Woodward Dream Cruise 09. As the trip was getting closer we realized we would not be able to make the trip financially so we cancelled our hotel stays and let our friends know that we would not be making the trip. Well, unknown to me, they all jumped into action and were selling raffle tickets, 50/50 drawings etc. all to raise funds for us to make our Woodward trip. In fact, even our old car club where we used to live in Buffalo helped out.

As it turned out our car friends raised enough money for gas for our trip up and back as we were trailering our 68 Firebird 400/4-speed from FL to MI. Our locar McDonalds down here sponsored us and covered all of our meals up and back at any McDonalds that we stopped at along the way. There were several local businesses here in our hometown who also sponsored the trip.

We first went to the Ames Performance show in OH then on to MI for the Dream Cruise. We had a terrific time. The highlight of the Ames show was that Don Keffe and my friend Mike arrainged with the owner of the track to allow me to take the final pass on the track with my Firebird. Don took pictures of that event (maybe he will post one here). It was simply awesome.

Then, off to Woodward we went. It would take me hours to detail all the amazing events that took place during our week on Woodward Ave. The local News picked up on our story and covered the entire story airing parts of the story each night on their evening news. The local news papers also picked up on the story. So many people from the area would stop us and wish us luck, wanted to know more about my vision loss etc. People were so kind I can not stop thinking about that trip each and every day since.

The best event happened on Weds before the Dream Cruise. My wife and I and our then 10 y/o son were riding along in our Firebird on Woodward Ave heading towards Detroit. Once I realized we were heading into the City I decided to make a U-turn. Just as I did so, we noticed an orange Judge city at the light heading in the direction that we were about to be going. Just as I made my U-turn I happened to snap a picture in the rearview mirror of our Firebird. Here is that pic. I would have NEVER imagined in a million years the events that followed. What I like to call "Woodward, Dream Come True Cruise".

A couple of pics of Mr. Wangers at a Pontiac show in FL in Feb 08.

One sad twist to the story. After we returned home from that trip, in Dec of 09 our 68 Firebird was rear ended at 45mph (we were sitting still waiting for a draw bridge to reopen) as we were coming home from our car club Christmas dinner. A sad end to a car that my wife and I and three kids spent 10 years restoring was gone in a split second due to an "Undocumented visitor" formerlly known as an illegal alien who was texting on her cell phone at the time of impact.

Thank God my wife nor son were injured. I on the other hand have 5 ruptured discs in my lower back along with a torn spinal cord cavity. However, I'll gladly take the pain knowing that my wife and son were uninjured!

That is my "Woodward" story. I only hope that Dave and Mr. Wangers know how much their kindness has meant to my wife and I and our son. Although that trip took place almost 2 years ago, we discuss that trip daily! Honestly, that trip was the greatest thing that has ever happened to me aside from meeting and marrying the greatest women on the earth. The women who now helps me 24/7, goes with me everywhere I go. We married at the age of 18, had three wonderful kids and now 25 years later we are still together and I thank God for her every day of my life.

As a side note, the air cleaner lid, gas filler door and MEAN BRD license plate are soon to be in a shadow box (currently being made) hanging on the wall in our shop.

I hope you enjoyed my Woodward story. I've told it a million times now and it never gets old. The way it happened, the people that were involved in making it happen, the entire story was truly a dream come true...

Last edited by 67 LeMans 326; 02-05-2011 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 67 LeMans 326 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I recently spoke with a friend of mine who is a Mopar guy. He told me there are links to this thread on some of the Mopar forums. Ofcourse they deny that the Blackbird ever beat the Silver Bullit, but we know different.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
I recently spoke with a friend of mine who is a Mopar guy. He told me there are links to this thread on some of the Mopar forums. Ofcourse they deny that the Blackbird ever beat the Silver Bullit, but we know different.
I guess in their world the late Jimmy Addison was never beat. Whether he was running 11.89, (Car Craft January 1970) or "his wishing for 10.60's....with a goal of 10.40's" (Car Craft Septmeber 1971). LOL

Didn't the Royal Bobcats, Firebird 350 HO run that 11 second Et and several 1968 and 1969 Royal Bobcat GTO's run in the high 11's back then? ( ex: July 1969 Super Stock with the bogus Ram Air V, really a D-port motor 11. 86) Just to name one. Humm... Addison did those number two years later. John Politzer felt the 1968 GTO Ram Air II GTO was a lot stronger then the 1969 GTO Judge when he drove them.

I guess the PMD, Chevy and Ford guys never improved on their game. Only Addison and the Chrysler guys. LOL I'm sure we all seen the 1969 Nationals Super Stock finals with some "Rat Pack" green Camaro driven by Wally Booth hole shot and beat Ronnie Sox. Ooops Does that mean Sox and Martin didn't always win with their Hemi?Wasn't GM out of racing as of winter 1963 when Chrysler began winning?

I'm sure all of those nay sayers lived in Detroit and "where there". LOL

Back then Jim Wangers and the Royal guys would hit Woodward with a couple cars at the same time. If you beat one of the Royal cars Jim would throw a faster car at you.

In the 1970'- 1980's if you beat the '74 Red T/A then you went up against the Silver '77 T/A. If you beat he '77 T/A then Jim's all out '75 Monza went after you. The Monza was calculated as being an 8 Second car (probably just a low 9 second car). Then in the 1990's. If you beat the '87 Pontee Carlo (10second now a 8 second car). Jim would throw the Red '74 T/A, mid 9 second) at you. This was not to mention Jim's two slower 1987 Grand Nationals that ran mid 12 seconds.

As one of the original "High End" guys Joe Riggirello, with his Ford's built by Wayne Gapp and Jack Roush, would ask, "what's it going to take to beat you Wangers?". " More!" See Joe's Mustang II in earlier post with the Oct. 1976 Car and Driver article "Back to the Streets Mother" by Brock Yates.

Isn't Fantasy Bench Racing Fun?

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 01-07-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Senior Chief

You ain't kidding that 1969 lime light GTO got a work out in the magazines in 1969. Here are three pages taken from the January 1969 Car & Driver road test that put 6 econo-racers from Detroit up against each other. All the cars tested had automatics and a rear axle ratio close to 3.50 except for the Cyclone that had a 3.91. The six cars tested were a Chevelle SS396 (325hp version), a Dodge Super Bee with a 383, a Ford Cobra Torino with a 428CJ, a Mercury Cyclone with the same mill but with the deeper gears, A Hemi Road Runner and our favoite 69 lime light GTO that is now wearing Judge colors. Based off the information you posted from the other magazine tests, the close ratio 4 speed and 3.91 gears were swapped out for an Turbo 400 and 3.55 rear gears for this road test. Car and Driver DNQ the Judge for several reasons: The engine identification numbers stamped on the block indicated a 1968 manual trans Ram Air engine. The engine ran cooler than 190 degrees (190 degree thromstats were standard to aid emission controls). They found a pluged vacuum hoses that contol ignition timing. The Judge wasn't happay on even the best Sunoco fuel and did not pass exhaust emission standards. Last but not least, the Judge was sporting 7" wheels and the stock 6" wheels. Car & Driver did not publish any of the times for the Judge but they did pubish the performance graph. Based off this graph, the Judge was pretty even, maybe a tic slower, than the first place Hemi Road Runner. The Hemi ran a 13.54 at 105.14 in the 1/4 mile. The other cars were right around the 14 second mark at 100 mph plus or minus a few hundreds. The SS396 was the slowest at 14.4 1/4 mile run. Car and Driver did allow the Judge to compete in driver control section where it tied for first with the Super Bee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	judge cd_0001.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	269858   Click image for larger version

Name:	judge cd_0002.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	269859   Click image for larger version

Name:	judge cd_0003.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	269860  

Old 01-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUST01 View Post
You ain't kidding that 1969 lime light GTO got a work out in the magazines in 1969. Here are three pages taken from the January 1969 Car & Driver road test that put 6 econo-racers from Detroit up against each other. All the cars tested had automatics and a rear axle ratio close to 3.50 except for the Cyclone that had a 3.91. The six cars tested were a Chevelle SS396 (325hp version), a Dodge Super Bee with a 383, a Ford Cobra Torino with a 428CJ, a Mercury Cyclone with the same mill but with the deeper gears, A Hemi Road Runner and our favoite 69 lime light GTO that is now wearing Judge colors. Based off the information you posted from the other magazine tests, the close ratio 4 speed and 3.91 gears were swapped out for an Turbo 400 and 3.55 rear gears for this road test. Car and Driver DNQ the Judge for several reasons: The engine identification numbers stamped on the block indicated a 1968 manual trans Ram Air engine. The engine ran cooler than 190 degrees (190 degree thromstats were standard to aid emission controls). They found a pluged vacuum hoses that contol ignition timing. The Judge wasn't happay on even the best Sunoco fuel and did not pass exhaust emission standards. Last but not least, the Judge was sporting 7" wheels and the stock 6" wheels. Car & Driver did not publish any of the times for the Judge but they did pubish the performance graph. Based off this graph, the Judge was pretty even, maybe a tic slower, than the first place Hemi Road Runner. The Hemi ran a 13.54 at 105.14 in the 1/4 mile. The other cars were right around the 14 second mark at 100 mph plus or minus a few hundreds. The SS396 was the slowest at 14.4 1/4 mile run. Car and Driver did allow the Judge to compete in driver control section where it tied for first with the Super Bee.
I'm glad you found the article. Car and Driver republished this article amoung their "best" in a book I mentioned earlier, "Car and Drive American Road Warriors Classic Muscle Cars" published by filipacchi Publishing in 2008.

Two other must have books are: "Muscle Car Confidential, Confessions of a Muscle Car Test Driver" by Joe Oldham. Along with the old tests Joe prints many pictures and his thoughts taken from his notes about each car test. You'll find many Pontiac tests including the '69 Lime Green GTO made into a Judge in its early white stripe and an automatic 400 Ram Air. Not as a Ram Air IV.

The other book is " "Motion, Tales of A Muscle Car Builder" by Martyn L. Shorr. Martyn talks about his experinace with one of the white and black vinyl top 1967 Royal Pontiac's GTO's. How he took it back to NY. I'm not going to spoil it. But he and Joel Rosen wish they could find that car again.

Happy hunting

Old 12-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I want to hear the Blackbird story!!!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

In a story I read about the Blackbird, it mentions beating a Super Stock Hemi (that ran 10.70's) by several car lengths. Factory RA I with column auto originally too.
PE Sept/Oct 2006 Boss if you want to save time searching for it. Nice four page article and on the cover as well.

I don't know if that S/S Hemi mentioned is/was the Silver Bullet.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM

This thread is useless without PICTURES!

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Chief

Well the Mopar is ez to find....

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/the-r...odward-cruise/

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/woodw...et-last-words/

http://www.silverbulletgtx.com/index.html

http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehi...gtx/index.html

Here's mentions of the Blackbird. Several photos in the first link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wHA...ckbird&f=false

http://motownmotorsports.com/history.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Woodward-Avenu...ews/193249491X
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbird 1.jpg
Views:	1519
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	228457   Click image for larger version

Name:	black2.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	228458   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackBird05-milan_t.jpg
Views:	1340
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	228459  

Old 12-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok...So you want to know all about Jim Wangers' 1968 Firebird Ram Air I AKA the Blackbird which I own. First let me state that in Detroit during the height of the street racing there where many very fast cars. Some got press others did not. Most these guys had direct factory connections to engineering parts.

The difference of Addison's GTX and every one else is that every one else kept their mouth shut. If Ford, GM, Chrysler, AMC top brass or even the news papers got wind of this things would hit the fan. In fact it did hit the Detroit papers when some reporter came around the Howard Johnson's on Northwestern Hwy for our "High End" gatherings one Thursday night in 1968. The head lines talked about the Illegal Street Racing being supported by the factories.

On any given night there was a new "FASTEST" car. Everyone was always improved the cars. The "big races" were never on Woodward. They could be on I-96, I-75, M-59 or some industral park off Telegraph Rd and Plymouth Rds.

The late Jimmy Addson's car, '67 GTX AKA the Silver Bullet, is getting alot of press now a days because his current owner Harold Sullivan is very influential in the Mopar world with his nice Mopar collection. It has been Harold who has been pumping this "King Of Woodward" and never been beat story. This was such puffery! Prompted by Harold Sullivan. Harold even commission a poster called "Woodward Kights" under the title in small print it says, "The Silver Bullet "King of Woodward" Leads the Charge. It is a very nice poster that shows Woodward ave north bound in front of the Sunoco station that Addison worked out of with Addison's silver GTX, Jim Wangers' Black Bird, Speadhar's 440 6- pack Super Bee and a '67 BB Vette. Great print.

As the saying goes " A LIE WILL MAKE IT AROUND THE WORLD BEFORE THE TRUTH CAN GET IT'S BOOTS ON".

Jimmy Addison did an interview in the May 1989 "High Performance MOPAR" magazine, article titled "The Legend of the Silver Bullet" page 26 and 27. On page 27 Addison admits lossing to Mike McGauri on different occasions. "Perhaps Addison's stiffest compettion came from the Chevy racing group headed by Wally Booth abd Dick Arons'. A guy by the name of Mike McGauri ran a Camaro with a 460-inch big block Chevy. He beat me, and I beat him," recalls Addison. That was the only car to ever beat the Bullet."

Mike McGauri's '69 Camaro was featured in a short in November 1971 "Popular Hot Rodding" page 50. You'll note the L88 style hood with a Grumpy Jenkin's style pro-stock hood scoop to accomadate the Tunnel Ram. You will also note the front tow hooks that most of the guys had to flat tow to the race. The car was an original white COPO car with Rally Sport head lights that Steve Mair eventually bought from Mike and restored it to original and sold it. (possibly to Reggie Jackson)

Racing out of Booth and Arons' was their top engine builder Dwayne Head. Dwayne's Chevelle was just as fast as Mike's '69 Camaro. Dwayne was known as the "Hill Billy". The Chevelle fell to the Blackbird in those early years.
You had Andy Manerino and his "Wap's Rat" Camaro. Andy beat the Black bird than Fankie beat him on a later date with the Blackbird.

There where some Ford Engineers that beat Addison with a well prepaired Mustang.
A straight axle 'Vette with an Ohio plate lined up as a blocker next to Keith Wilson, who Detroit Area Pontiac guy's know, behind Addison as he was going to run another car. When Addison and the other guy took off there was enough of a hole for the Vette to fit through. The Vette drove on by Addison. After the race Addison said I wasn't racing the Vette, he never beat me. This was typical Addison. He would race anything he thought may be faster....or he'd hit the brakes if the other car began reelling him in and was going to pass him. On the other hand it was no unusual for Addison to keep on cranking after the finish line as the other guy coasted after winning. Basiclly, Addison extended the finish line, or shortened it to fit his needs.

Addison wouldn't race very fast '56 and '57 Corvettes coming out of Midwest Auto Supply owner Ron Reader had a George Delorean built Pontiac under the hood. Later a Big block Chevy built by his neighbor Booth and Arons. Than you had the Mike Fons plum '57 Corvette later bought by Steve Maynard with a 440 CID Big Block Chevy. This Vette was featured in the September 1971 "Car Craft" magizine page 39. The same issue that featured Addison's car on page 40. The magazine even mentioned that this Vette could eat up Addison's GTX.

Addison's "Bullet was beaten twice on Woodward just North of 9 Mile Rd by the Ben Harrison Jr, son of Ben Harrison, Pontiac Motor's cost manager. Ben Sr. is responsible for bringing you the '69 Grand Prix and for getting the '77 Can Am through GM management

Another car that beat the "Bullett" was a 1970 Chevelle big block owned by Steve Mair who's dad was General Motors VP Alex Mair. Steve's Chevelle was prepared by Chevrolet engineering. Very light weight car. Like most Detroit cars they had been acid dipped, no inner wheel wells etc. It beat the Addison's Bullet by train lengths.

Steve's Chevelle and the Blackbird did line up one night on M-59. The cars would do several burn outs to heat the tires. The race drew too big a crowd that Jim Wangers called it off before the police showed up. Jim felt that would have been the best race of the Black bird if it had taken place.

Rick McKinney who's dad was a tire one supplier to the industry race with the big boys in his gold 1973 LS7 Camaro. Rick ran Mike McGauri in his '69 Tunnel Ram Camaro and stayed neck and neck until over 120 MPH when the Tunnel Ram took over.

Now to Jim Wangers 1968 Firebird RA I column shift automatic was originally ordered by Tony Knieper, the parts Mgr for Stan Long Pontiac as a race car. Tony was a Pontiac racing with factory connections to engineering. Toney was great with suspension set ups. (side note K&L on the sale panel of the original '63 421 SD Stan Antlocher/ Stan Long Tempest stands for Kneiper and Long)The car had RA II heads later. When Tony and his brother Mike got killed while trailing their '67 Firebird from one track to another late one night. The family wanted out of racing.

Jim Wangers' driver, John Ploitzer aka "The Cheater" and the '66 Geeto Mystery Tiger, was good freind with the Knieper family. John made the deal the have Jim Wangers buy the '68 black Firebird. Politzer was the subjacet of Brock Yates Car and Driver article in fall of 1967 "Street Racing".

Once Jim Wangers had the car it sat for a while. When PMD cancelled there 1970 455 high compression Ram Air IV engine program Jim talked to Russ Gee about doing a what if that motor was put into the '68 Firebird and lets see what would happen on the Street. Tom Nell designed the cam shaft and went to General Kenetics and ahd it ground. The Heads went to Diamond Elkins along with the Trans Am program heads, Herb Adams, Tom Goad and Nell were doing. Then Carter throw in a Thermo Quad and Edelbrock a PB4 maniford and Doug some headers. An artcle was done on the car in the March 1971 issue of "Popular Hot Rodding" sating on page 30. It shows all the work done by Brain Ballish at Royal Automotive. John Politzer did the driving. By the Time this article hit the stands the car was already running a half second or n more faster. Jim Would not let Et's be published before the cars where at least a half to a full second faster. A second article was written about the car in January 1972 in "Super Stock and Drag Ill". Jim Would only admit to 11 flat at 127 mph. The car was a very low 10 second car by then.
Jim Wangers sold the car to his second driver, of this car, Frankie Ulbrick. It was actullay under Frankie's ownership that the now very tired BlackBird did battle with the "Silver Bullet". Jim Wangers had told Frankie on many occations that the engine need freshing up. However, Frankie leaped out on the Bullet, Frankie hit second and leaped out even further. As they hit highend Frankie saw Addison coming on but hit the finish line first. But in Addison fashion he just kept on cranking and extended the finish line. Rick Dyer, owner of C.A.R.S. inc., the Chevrolet reproduction company, was there and swears Frankie beat Addison. Soon after Frankie did braek the block. Frankie also used N.O.S. later.
The Black bird remained in the hands of a few racers and continued to win alot of races. The car eventually made it back to Frankie Ulbrick's cousin and was freshend up by George DeLorean. The cousin was going through a divorce so they called JIm Wangers. Jim bought the car and it sat for a few years as Jim had other interests and musch faster cars. A Monza low 9's, the '74 Red T/A a '77 Silver T/A a couple of Monte Carlo's and a couple of Grand Nationals.
Jim offered the '68 Bird to me about 15 or more years ago and have freshend it up again. It is more like it was for the first article. A streetable "Legal" car. However not leagal for the Strip....
The Bird is mentioned in: "Milt Schornak and the Royal Bobcat GTOS", "Factory Lightweights" by Charles R. Morris, cover of "Pontiac Enthusiast" ad artilce page 24 Sept/Oct 2006, "Pontiac Enthusiast" May/June 2009 page 72 and in "American Muscle Supercar" by David Newhart.
I hope this is enough info.....
Have a nice Holiday and New Years..
Eric

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-19-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW! Now that's what I call a history lesson! That's exactly what I wanted to know and more. Thanks for the great response Dr. Schiffer.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer View Post
Ok...So you want to know all about Jim Wangers' 1968 Firebird Ram Air I AKA the Blackbird which I own. First let me state that in Detroit during the height of the street racing there where many very fast cars. Some got press others did not. Most these guys had direct factory connections to engineering parts.

The difference of Addison's GTX and every one else is that every one else kept their mouth shut. If Ford, GM, Chrysler, AMC top brass or even the news papers got wind of this things would hit the fan. In fact it did hit the Detroit papers when some reporter came around the Howard Johnson's on Northwestern Hwy for our "High End" gatherings one Thursday night in 1968. The head lines talked about the Illegal Street Racing being supported by the factories.

On any given night there was a new "FASTEST" car. Everyone was always improved the cars. The "big races" were never on Woodward. They could be on I-96, I-75, M-59 or some industral park off Telegraph Rd and Plymouth Rds.

The late Jimmy Addson's car, '67 GTX AKA the Silver Bullet, is getting alot of press now a days because his current owner Harold Sullivan is very influential in the Mopar world with his nice Mopar collection. It has been Harold who has been pumping this "King Of Woodward" and never been beat story. This was such puffery! Prompted by Harold Sullivan. Harold even commission a poster called "Woodward Kights" under the title in small print it says, "The Silver Bullet "King of Woodward" Leads the Charge. It is a very nice poster that shows Woodward ave north bound in front of the Sunoco station that Addison worked out of with Addison's silver GTX, Jim Wangers' Black Bird, Speadhar's 440 6- pack Super Bee and a '67 BB Vette. Great print.

As the saying goes " A LIE WILL MAKE IT AROUND THE WORLD BEFORE THE TRUTH CAN GET IT'S BOOTS ON".

Jimmy Addison did an interview in the May 1989 "High Performance MOPAR" magazine, article titled "The Legend of the Silver Bullet" page 26 and 27. On page 27 Addison admits lossing to Mike McGauri on different occasions. "Perhaps Addison's stiffest compettion came from the Chevy racing group headed by Wally Booth abd Dick Arons'. A guy by the name of Mike McGauri ran a Camaro with a 460-inch big block Chevy. He beat me, and I beat him," recalls Addison. That was the only car to ever beat the Bullet."

Mike McGauri's '69 Camaro was featured in a short in November 1971 "Popular Hot Rodding" page 50. You'll note the L88 style hood with a Grumpy Jenkin's style pro-stock hood scoop to accomadate the Tunnel Ram. You will also note the front tow hooks that most of the guys had to flat tow to the race. The car was an original white COPO car with Rally Sport head lights that Steve Mair eventually bought from Mike and restored it to original and sold it. (possibly to Reggie Jackson)

Racing out of Booth and Arons' was their top engine builder Dwayne Head. Dwayne's Chevelle was just as fast as Mike's '69 Camaro. Dwayne was known as the "Hill Billy". The Chevelle fell to the Blackbird in those early years.
You had Andy Manerino and his "Wap's Rat" Camaro. Andy beat the Black bird than Fankie beat him on a later date with the Blackbird.

There where some Ford Engineers that beat Addison with a well prepaired Mustang.
A straight axle 'Vette with an Ohio plate lined up as a blocker next to Keith Wilson, who Detroit Area Pontiac guy's know, behind Addison as he was going to run another car. When Addison and the other guy took off there was enough of a hole for the Vette to fit through. The Vette drove on by Addison. After the race Addison said I wasn't racing the Vette, he never beat me. This was typical Addison. He would race anything he thought may be faster....or he'd hit the brakes if the other car began reelling him in and was going to pass him. On the other hand it was no unusual for Addison to keep on cranking after the finish line as the other guy coasted after winning. Basiclly, Addison extended the finish line, or shortened it to fit his needs.

Addison wouldn't race very fast '56 and '57 Corvettes coming out of Midwest Auto Supply owner Ron Reader had a George Delorean built Pontiac under the hood. Later a Big block Chevy built by his neighbor Booth and Arons. Than you had the Mike Fons plum '57 Corvette later bought by Steve Maynard with a 440 CID Big Block Chevy. This Vette was featured in the September 1971 "Car Craft" magizine page 39. The same issue that featured Addison's car on page 40. The magazine even mentioned that this Vette could eat up Addison's GTX.

Addison's "Bullet was beaten twice on Woodward just North of 9 Mile Rd by the Ben Harrison Jr, son of Ben Harrison, Pontiac Motor's cost manager. Ben Sr. is responsible for bringing you the '69 Grand Prix and for getting the '77 Can Am through GM management

Another car that beat the "Bullett" was a 1970 Chevelle big block owned by Steve Mair who's dad was General Motors VP Alex Mair. Steve's Chevelle was prepared by Chevrolet engineering. Very light weight car. Like most Detroit cars they had been acid dipped, no inner wheel wells etc. It beat the Addison's Bullet by train lengths.

Steve's Chevelle and the Blackbird did line up one night on M-59. The cars would do several burn outs to heat the tires. The race drew too big a crowd that Jim Wangers called it off before the police showed up. Jim felt that would have been the best race of the Black bird if it had taken place.

Rick McKinney who's dad was a tire one supplier to the industry race with the big boys in his gold 1973 LS7 Camaro. Rick ran Mike McGauri in his '69 Tunnel Ram Camaro and stayed neck and neck until over 120 MPH when the Tunnel Ram took over.

Now to Jim Wangers 1968 Firebird RA I column shift automatic was originally ordered by Tony Knieper, the parts Mgr for Stan Long Pontiac as a race car. Tony was a Pontiac racing with factory connections to engineering. Toney was great with suspension set ups. (side note K&L on the sale panel of the original '63 421 SD Stan Antlocher/ Stan Long Tempest stands for Kneiper and Long)The car had RA II heads later. When Tony and his brother Mike got killed while trailing their '67 Firebird from one track to another late one night. The family wanted out of racing.

Jim Wangers' driver, John Ploitzer aka "The Cheater" and the '66 Geeto Mystery Tiger, was good freind with the Knieper family. John made the deal the have Jim Wangers buy the '68 black Firebird. Politzer was the subjacet of Brock Yates Car and Driver article in fall of 1967 "Street Racing".

Once Jim Wangers had the car it sat for a while. When PMD cancelled there 1970 455 high compression Ram Air IV engine program Jim talked to Russ Gee about doing a what if that motor was put into the '68 Firebird and lets see what would happen on the Street. Tom Nell designed the cam shaft and went to General Kenetics and ahd it ground. The Heads went to Diamond Elkins along with the Trans Am program heads, Herb Adams, Tom Goad and Nell were doing. Then Carter throw in a Thermo Quad and Edelbrock a PB4 maniford and Doug some headers. An artcle was done on the car in the March 1971 issue of "Popular Hot Rodding" sating on page 30. It shows all the work done by Brain Ballish at Royal Automotive. John Politzer did the driving. By the Time this article hit the stands the car was already running a half second or n more faster. Jim Would not let Et's be published before the cars where at least a half to a full second faster. A second article was written about the car in January 1972 in "Super Stock and Drag Ill". Jim Would only admit to 11 flat at 127 mph. The car was a very low 10 second car by then.
Jim Wangers sold the car to his second driver, of this car, Frankie Ulbrick. It was actullay under Frankie's ownership that the now very tired BlackBird did battle with the "Silver Bullet". Jim Wangers had told Frankie on many occations that the engine need freshing up. However, Frankie leaped out on the Bullet, Frankie hit second and leaped out even further. As they hit highend Frankie saw Addison coming on but hit the finish line first. But in Addison fashion he just kept on cranking and extended the finish line. Rick Dyer, owner of C.A.R.S. inc., the Chevrolet reproduction company, was there and swears Frankie beat Addison. Soon after Frankie did braek the block. Frankie also used N.O.S. later.
The Black bird remained in the hands of a few racers and continued to win alot of races. The car eventually made it back to Frankie Ulbrick's cousin and was freshend up by George DeLorean. The cousin was going through a divorce so they called JIm Wangers. Jim bought the car and it sat for a few years as Jim had other interests and musch faster cars. A Monza low 9's, the '74 Red T/A a '77 Silver T/A a couple of Monte Carlo's and a couple of Grand Nationals.
Jim offered the '68 Bird to me about 15 or more years ago and have freshend it up again. It is more like it was for the first article. A streetable "Legal" car. However not leagal for the Strip....
The Bird is mentioned in: "Milt Schornak and the Royal Bobcat GTOS", "Factory Lightweights" by Charles R. Morris, cover of "Pontiac Enthusiast" ad artilce page 24 Sept/Oct 2006, "Pontiac Enthusiast" May/June 2009 page 72 and in "American Muscle Supercar" by David Newhart.
I hope this is enough info.....
Have a nice Holiday and New Years..
Eric
Count me among the customers for your book, Eric!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Andya,
When Jim Wangers owned the Jim Wangers Chevrolet dealership in Wisconsin he had a customer that said Pontiacs can't run. Jim made the call to Frankie Ulbrick to bring the Black Bird to Wisconsin to take on a hot Chevelle there. The race was set up and Frankie brought the car. The Black Bird did it's usual "leap" out in front and won by alot. The other side protested and said Frankie left too soon. Since it was a very hostile crowd Wangers told Frankie not to beat him so bad this time. They ran again and Frankie did win and they got out of there in a hurry.. The Black Bird does have two windows, rear and passenger side quarter, that are scracthed up from the crowd as they throw glass bottles at the car. I left them there as a part of street racing history....