WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 General Tech/Discussion

G8 General Tech/Discussion G8 general tech and discussion area.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Wheels & Tires on a 09 G8 GT

Hey guys,
I recently put different wheels and tires on my 09 G8 GT. I used the 20" wheels from the new Camaro. The tires are Hankook Ventus V12--fronts are 245/35ZR20 and rears are 275/30ZR20. I now have a problem with people sitting in the back seat. If two adults are sitting in there it makes the rear tires rub. When my kids sit back there, it's no problem. I was told that I can have the fenders rolled and it will eliminate this issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Will rolling the fenders fix it?

Thanks,
Alan
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redta View Post
Hey guys,
I recently put different wheels and tires on my 09 G8 GT. I used the 20" wheels from the new Camaro. The tires are Hankook Ventus V12--fronts are 245/35ZR20 and rears are 275/30ZR20. I now have a problem with people sitting in the back seat. If two adults are sitting in there it makes the rear tires rub. When my kids sit back there, it's no problem. I was told that I can have the fenders rolled and it will eliminate this issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Will rolling the fenders fix it?

Thanks,
Alan
Alan, I guess it would really depend on how much it is rubbing, and is it rubbing JUST on the outside lip? Rolling the lips would give you about a 1/2 more clearance on each side.

You might also look into a bump limiter on the rear suspension, it might help. If you could post some pics it would give people a better idea of what is going on.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 PM

I hope these pictures help. The rear tires only rub when I have adults in the backseat and hit a bump. Just cruising down the road they are fine. I have hit some dips in the highway at speed which have caused the rub also with no one else in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	2041
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	305863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear tire.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	305864  
Old 12-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of info on this swap on the G8board.
Here is a link to a thread that is all about Camaro SS wheel swaps/fit/sizes:

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showth...amaro+tire+rub

It appears that your issue is common (slight rub with 4 adults in the car), but some owners have gone even wider with rolled fenders.

You could go with a stiffer spring or travel limiter as suggested earlier.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a common problem with the 04-06 GTOs and 275-ish tires out back, or wheels with incorrect offsets. The simplest non-permanent solution is to run a set of drag bags in the rear springs and add just enough air to them to keep the fenders off the rear tires when traveling with passengers. You can also roll the rear fenders but you risk cracking or damaging the paint if its not done carefully and with the right amount of heat.

On my GTO, to fit 275s I trimmed the rear fender lips down to the welds and I run Pedders zero-drop springs and big bore shocks. Problem solved.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the link. After reading that, it appears I just need to get the rear fenders rolled. Easy enough!