WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Long range opinions

I bought my 2004 GTO in August of 2004 and it currently has 42k miles. Now, I know people will say that 42k miles is nothing these days, but the car has been dead nuts reliable with nothing more than routine services. Mechanically, the car has fared VERY well. The ONLY thing I've had to replace is the tires and a tierod. The A/C still blows as cold as day one, there are no squeaks and rattles and the car is still as tight as day one.

There are some things, however, that haven't fared as well. First, the overall paint on the car is still flawless, however, the plastic panel on the trunk lid has peeling paint. Not a big deal as the panel can be separated and painted individually. Also, the leather seats, while still in excellent condition, have the seams separating with the threads breaking at the seams. The leather itself is fine, just the threads holding the panels together are letting go.

There are some items that, if you are not gentle, will break easily and most of the interior requires a gentle touch. I haven't replaced any suspension part (other than the tierod), that people complain about. However, I did find (while replacing the tierod), that there were some incorrectly installed parts, and that may have contributed to some complaints that led to premature replacement of parts.

Overall, I have to say that this car is a GREAT car PERIOD! I also have a 2006 that only has 4k on it so I can't really comment on it long term. It is also garaged so it hasn't suffered the leather seam deterioration.

The powertrains of both have been exceptional, requiring NO repairs, and no oil additions between changes. The seals have held up and there are NO leaks on either of them.

I'll finalize by saying that I still prefer the cable throttle vs the dbw, and the sound of the stock ls1 is more intoxicating than the dbw (drive by wire). After driving all the modern muscle cars, I still haven't found one that I'd give up my "New" GTO's for. The '14 Vette looks promising, though.