67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Spectre front spoilers - Camaro vs. Firebird

So I'm on the hunt for the awesome aluminum lower front spoiler that Spectre used to make for the Camaro in 2 different versions; 67-68 and 69 only.

My question is for those members here who have enough experience to tell me:

Which version I would have an easier time making work with my 69 Firebird?

I know the lower front valance on the Firebird and Camaro differ a fair bit. But if someone could tell me which *might* fit better to start with, I would really appreciate it!

Here is a picture of the 69 Camaro version:
https://www.pepboys.com/spectre-fron...duct/20060342#

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not Firebird worthy. If you want a Camaro buy one.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

You want the 69 version. It is slightly wider than the 67-68 version.

You'd be surprised how similar the mounting points are between the Camaro and Firebird. Yes you'll have to do a bit of drilling, but most it it matches up pretty well.

Considering it looks like you already have a camaro chin spoiler on the car, you may not need to do much else with the Spectre spoiler.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

Have you considered Spoilers By Randy? https://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/69-firebird

2016 Mustang GT - GT with the Performance Pack, beats my former 12 Boss around the track.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyman View Post
Have you considered Spoilers By Randy? https://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/69-firebird

Yes, I currently have his 69 Firebird spoiler. I'm looking for something more effective for aero though.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
You want the 69 version. It is slightly wider than the 67-68 version.

You'd be surprised how similar the mounting points are between the Camaro and Firebird. Yes you'll have to do a bit of drilling, but most it it matches up pretty well.

Considering it looks like you already have a camaro chin spoiler on the car, you may not need to do much else with the Spectre spoiler.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Old 07-30-2019, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
Yes, I currently have his 69 Firebird spoiler. I'm looking for something more effective for aero though.
If this is what you're after, Copy what Big Red Camaro is doing.

The factory style chin spoiler is functional and the first gen F-Body in general was one of the first cars GM developed with a nod to aerodynamics.

What you don't want on these cars is the rear spoiler without the front chin spoiler. That's a bad combination at high speed.

What BRC is doing is utilizing the basic design of the camaro style spoiler and putting it on steroids.

You probably want to find one of these as either an aluminum reproduction, or carbon fiber. Just something that has a bit more strength to it than the flimsy plastic that they typically come in.

From there you want a protruding splitter to the tune of about an inch and a half, attached to the lower portion of the spoiler. This is also an area that you can use for turnbuckle bracing. The factory mounting points are adequate for the stock type spoiler, but adding significantly more downforce, you want more attachment points as nothing down there is "structural."

That splitter you want to carry back as flat as possible, as far back as possible.

After that, you want to close out the sides and fill the space up to the fenders, towards the wheel arches. All of this helps direct the airflow to make the best use of that chin spoiler's design.

The pictures you find around of big red currently show those close outs as being pretty flat. They've recently changed them though as their wind tunnel testing showed that having a compound curve outward, then back in towards the fender produced better aerodynamics.

There's a bit of fabrication going on there, but nothing too crazy if you know how to transfer cardboard templates to aluminum and have access to a sheer. I'd cherry rivet the whole thing.

If you want to go further, extend out the splitter to include gurney flaps on the leading edge of the wheel wells.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
So does the Randy's spoiler not provide sufficient downforce or does it create aero problems? Also where can you fine the Spectra front spoilers as I thought they were discontinued.

2016 Mustang GT - GT with the Performance Pack, beats my former 12 Boss around the track.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure they've been discontinued, but you can probably find them second hand. If it's the one with the wrap-around portion, I would bet there would still be some significant amount of modification necessary to get it to fit a bird.

That being the case, I'd really follow the template that Big Red has basically already laid out for everyone to see. That car has been 250+mph, it's aero works.

One other thing to mention, if you're doing this specifically for aero considerations and not just because it looks cool, ditch the TA wing for the duckbill spoiler and add an adjustable wicker bill to it. While the TA spoiler did prove to be functional, it provided only a small amount of downforce at high speeds. The duckbill spoiler and especially if you add a wicker bill will function better at more realistic speeds.