Old 08-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Senior Chief

Default lifter bore hone wanted to rent

anyone have a bhj or sunnen lifter bore hone I could rent this fall for a weekend? thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you do not have to remove anything but high spots from scratches then a brake cylinder Hone will work.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default Hone

Needed to hone a new set of bronze inserts in an ia2 block to final size.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well you really want a shop to do that as each Bore being Honded needs to be constantly flushed with lube/ coolant that's filtered , then recirculated just like when boring a cylinder.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Well you really want a shop to do that as each Bore being Honded needs to be constantly flushed with lube/ coolant that's filtered , then recirculated just like when boring a cylinder.
Agree with this 100%. I have the BHJ kit. Nothing personal against BHJ, but this is not the best made, easiest to use tool out there. Mine has a U-joint issue I am still trying to resolve. It is much tighter in one plane than the other. That's one reason I didn't offer it up right away. The stones clog up right away unless you are using it in a cylinder hone. Where are you located? I could possibly do it here for you after I get the hone fixed. The BHJ bushings are really hard. It takes about 3 hours to hone a set of 16 to size of your not reaming them first. I used to ream them and then hone, but that was even more work. I just hone all the way now.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:55 AM
Senior Chief

Default hone

I have a set up to lube the hone and filter and recycle the lube/coolant. I am in western va and the closest shop to me that can do the honing is about a 4 hour drive each way. I would have no issue honing them I just cant justify buying the tool to do one set of bushings. This will be the first set ive had to hone in over 25 years of machining and engine building. I had a guy local who could do them but he is 73 years old and is no longer working in his shop.