67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rack and Pinion

I know this topic has been covered before, but I wanted to see if there was anything new or better out there for a '67 Firebird with a Pontiac engine.

The Smith Racecraft kit https://smithracecraft.com/instructi...ack-pinion-kit looks like it would work okay. All of the others I've looked at say they only work with Chevy engines.

Opinions?

BTW, I'm considering R&P because my Doug's headers have rubbed on my gearbox enough that I had to weld them once already and now the gearbox has started leaking.
I'm also hoping for a better turn radius. Right now my bird has the same turning radius (maybe worse) as my '91 Suburban.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 04-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Beuller?

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 04-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem I recall from R&P was the geometry was horrible to try and retrofit it and caused terrible bump steer. Aftermarket frames fix the issue if your running LS or Chevy but I assume that is not an option.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...steering-boxes

I would look at a smaller steering box assuming your still using a 800 style box. I would think it would give you some extra room and keep your geometry from getting messed with.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

rohrt is pretty spot on with any retrofit kit that doesn't involve serious cutting of the factory frame. The geometry just simply sucks in most cases.

There's some good information on R&P here that STEELCITYFIREBIRD shared with me a while ago.

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/

He mentioned a good way to go about it would be to try and find a used unit from a dirt track late model. If your calculated rack length is in the 18.25 to 19.5" range, there's a good change you can pick up a quality used unit. The link above in the tech section discusses how to measure for correct geometry with a rack and how to choose it's length.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So my old gearbox started leaking and when I replace it, I discovered that the Global west lowers have a stop cast onto them. I ground the stops down and now my turn radius is MUCH improved.

There is no try. - Yoda

Old 07-26-2019, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at rack for the TA but ran this:

these guys may still have some:

http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/