Old 05-01-2019, 09:51 PM

Is it normal to run a spacer with a fan clutch?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not in my experience.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-01-2019, 11:00 PM

now I'm beginning to wonder if I have the correct fan clutch..... The distance from the fan mounting flange on the pulley side to the fan mount face is only 1 5/8"

Old 05-02-2019, 06:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
How about doing a test with a Cold Case radiator and then report back to everyone here? I bet CC can get you down under 200 on the highway and under 185 idling without changing anything else.
I am in for a test cold case vs. champion 66/67 tall .

Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you checked with a laser thermometer to make sure your temp gauge is accurate?

When I bought my car, it had a 4 blade fan and no shroud. Ran nice and cool on the highway, would hit (by the gauge) 245 in traffic. I put on dual electric fans, and now it runs cool in town and heats up on the freeway. (As has been mentioned, less airflow through the radiator.)

I bought a laser thermometer, and discovered my gauge is accurate from 185-210, then not so much - a gauge reading of 255 is really a temp of 225, which I’ll see on the highway on 90 degree days out here.

One of these days, I’m going to add a bigger radiator for more cooling capacity, but I don’t feel any real urgency.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 AM

I do have a laser thermometer. I will check gauge accuracy.

So I did some fan clutch research to see why my fan is not inside the shroud. Looks like my clutch is a 2747. This clutch has the fan mount 1.6” away from the water pump. After searching this forum, I found that guys run the longer 2731 clutch which puts the fan 2.25” away from the pump. This will push the fan into the shroud more. I ordered the 2731 from Oreillys last night. Should have some more info on the changes next week.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see that you said you have an 8" waterpump pulley...I believe they make a 7.25" and also a 6.5" pulley. Both of these would increase flow which should help with cooling.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
I am in for a test cold case vs. champion 66/67 tall .
Retract message as my friend had just returned one that the neck blew a mess and made some major damage to hood pad ,engine ,etc.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got any photos?

Old 05-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Retract message as my friend had just returned one that the neck blew a mess and made some major damage to hood pad ,engine ,etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Got any photos?
Still curious if you have any photos or other supporting info that may shed light on this.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Still curious if you have any photos or other supporting info that may shed light on this.
What light does he need shed? He got a defective radiator. The process of creating a radiator is not perfect. Out of thousands produced, once in a while, one fails. There's literally dozens and dozens of Cold Case radiators in PY Forums members cars that are fine. Ames, NPD, OPG, Classic Industries and Butler Performance have sold hundreds of Cold Case radiators to Pontiac owners that are successfully cooling various Pontiac motors.

For those very unlucky individuals that get a bad one, Cold Case has a non pro-rated lifetime warranty.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What light does he need shed? He got a defective radiator. The process of creating a radiator is not perfect. Out of thousands produced, once in a while, one fails. There's literally dozens and dozens of Cold Case radiators in PY Forums members cars that are fine. Ames, NPD, OPG, Classic Industries and Butler Performance have sold hundreds of Cold Case radiators to Pontiac owners that are successfully cooling various Pontiac motors.

For those very unlucky individuals that get a bad one, Cold Case has a non pro-rated lifetime warranty.
When a part fails, I'm usually curious to get the how & why. Often there is more to the story, but not always.

FWIW, my brother and I are both very pleased with the Cold Case radiators in our GTOs, and wouldn't hesitate to the recommend them to others.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
When a part fails, I'm usually curious to get the how & why. Often there is more to the story, but not always.

FWIW, my brother and I are both very pleased with the Cold Case radiators in our GTOs, and wouldn't hesitate to the recommend them to others.
That's great that you are both satisfied users. I agree It's fine to be curious and members should be kept up to date. However, Cold Case has put a lot of effort into creating a high quality reliable product and unfortunately forums communities seem to want to focus in and almost POUNCE on a problem. Then casual readers get spooked and get the wrong impression.

I now see that was not your intention but it would have been nice for you to mention that you were successfully running a CC radiator in that same inquiry. Then it would have truly looked like curiosity as apposed to the wagons circling.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's great that you are both satisfied users. I agree It's fine to be curious and members should be kept up to date. However, Cold Case has put a lot of effort into creating a high quality reliable product and unfortunately forums communities seem to want to focus in and almost POUNCE on a problem. Then casual readers get spooked and get the wrong impression.

I now see that was not your intention but it would have been nice for you to mention that you were successfully running a CC radiator in that same inquiry. Then it would have truly looked like curiosity as apposed to the wagons circling.

Oh, my apologies for the confusion. My inquiry was actually the opposite of what you suspected. I've been in the car game long enough to have discovered that when parts fail, a large percentage of the time there is a confounding variable that is not mentioned. In other words, the user installed incorrectly or something further upstream caused the issue. Then people go online and say "my part XYZ broke, what a piece of junk!", when the failure was actually caused by something else. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case here, but I was just curious for more info since the individual basically said it failed and didn't provide any other info.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 67 GTO, 462ci, E-heads, CC305 cam, 3:73 rear, TH400, 3000 stall. stock water pump. solution is this. Car is no slug. runs 10.8

1. $189.00 Universal Aluminum radiator from SummitRacing
2. $80. 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII Electric Fan
3. 2 75Amp Relays in parallel, cost around $40.00 wired them myself.
4. Temp probe thru radiator with rheostat adjusted to come on at around 185 degrees.

Car runs between 180-185 no matter what the weather,. I was just in OC and was in traffic for hours , never ever got over 180. ever.

On the highway at speed around 185 tops.

There is a ton of info on installing that fan in any car.

www.musclecarsgalore.com
www.nikivee.com
[www.reverbnation.com/nikivee

1967 Pontiac GTO
1967 Pontiac Grand Prix
1972 Pontiac Lemans Sport Convertible
2015 Dodge Challenger ScatPack 392, 6 speed
2017 Ford Explorer AWD
Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickv View Post
I have a 67 GTO, 462ci, E-heads, CC305 cam, 3:73 rear, TH400, 3000 stall. stock water pump. solution is this. Car is no slug. runs 10.8

4. Temp probe thru radiator with rheostat adjusted to come on at around 185 degrees.

Car runs between 180-185 no matter what the weather,. I was just in OC and was in traffic for hours , never ever got over 180. ever.

That’s awesome! I’m jealous. Got any pics of your setup? What water pump are you running?

Old 05-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickv View Post

That is a nice find. I have heard of many owners finding OEM fans and adapting them to our vehicles. However, you are still a lucky man! You are in the minority. Most Pontiac owners with that combination with that big of a Pontiac motor would be looking for a tree limb to throw the rope over.

What alternator are you using? Any other electrical issues with the 1996 Ford fan kit that needed to be dealt with?

Next show, if you could swing by the Cold Case booth, I'd love to put a cfm meter on that fan kit. Very curious how much air it pulls. I'll bet it's very good.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That is a nice find. I have heard of many owners finding OEM fans and adapting them to our vehicles. However, you are still a lucky man! You are in the minority. Most Pontiac owners with that combination with that big of a Pontiac motor would be looking for a tree limb to throw the rope over.

What alternator are you using? Any other electrical issues with the 1996 Ford fan kit that needed to be dealt with?

Next show, if you could swing by the Cold Case booth, I'd love to put a cfm meter on that fan kit. Very curious how much air it pulls. I'll bet it's very good.
Thumbs up to that. I tried the electric fan thing once, and it didn't work out. Scientific data rules all. I've been curious what cfm air moves through an electric fan/shroud combo at highway speed, vs a factory style mechanical fan.