Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 AM

Default My Lost Atol Blue 1970 GTO in Northern Virginia 1985

In 1985, I was separated from my Atol Blue 1970 Pontiac GTO.

Was parked in the residential parking lot of a since demolished apartment house complex along South Glebe Street in the Arna Valley area (in Virginia southwest of Washington D.C. about a mile from Chrystal City.

Car's TH400 died on trip to Washington D.C., actually on Capitol Hill while dining at Hawks and Doves, limped to friend's apartment complex, where he resided.

Long story short: the car was towed about 3 or 4 weeks later by company that fails to notify registered owner, builds up a $1200 or so storage lien over next several months, and sells car to salvage yard.

Am able to purchase the engine back: a recently rebuilt 1970 WS code Pontiac 400 Ram Air III engine out of a 1970 Trans Am. Am told the car was crushed by a salvage yard employee masking his theft of the aluminum 1971 455HO intake manifold and Ram Air SR quadrajet.

The car was an original Atol Blue with white vinyl top 1970 Pontiac GTO with factory a/c, automatic transmission, and "YS" code standard 1970 GTO 400 engine. I paid $300 for the car in October or November 1982, with a blown - spun bearing - engine. The engine shop - decades gone - failed to check the deck, which had been warped and found with cracks between the center two cylinders upon teardown in the wake of head gasket failure weeks after first driving that rebuild.

If the story of it's mid 1985 crushing were untrue, and it ended up for sale in the Arlington-Alexandria-Woodbridge Virginia area subsequently, its a factory atol blue with white vinyl top std engine, automatic, a/c, p/s,p/b, crank windows 1970 GTO.

Facebook photo album:

https://www.facebook.com/douglas.wil...9469651&type=3

1972+ Lucerne Blue 4-door hardtop "what if" T-41 Le Mans Sport GT/Grand Am concepts. Equipped with future 3" journal "455 HO"/"what if" prototype "SD 455".
What if GM had continued production of the 1970-72 GM A body somewhere in the southern hemisphere?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

circa 1984 we bought a 70 Atol Blue GTO with rebuilt 400 WT for $400. had spare 3:90 posi in trunk.

Blue interior, no evidence of vinyl top ever, and 3-speed stick. PlainJane.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Willinger View Post
In 1985, I was separated from my Atol Blue 1970 Pontiac GTO.

Was parked in the residential parking lot of a since demolished apartment house complex along South Glebe Street in the Arna Valley area (in Virginia southwest of Washington D.C. about a mile from Chrystal City.

Car's TH400 died on trip to Washington D.C., actually on Capitol Hill while dining at Hawks and Doves, limped to friend's apartment complex, where he resided.

Long story short: the car was towed about 3 or 4 weeks later by company that fails to notify registered owner, builds up a $1200 or so storage lien over next several months, and sells car to salvage yard.

Am able to purchase the engine back: a recently rebuilt 1970 WS code Pontiac 400 Ram Air III engine out of a 1970 Trans Am. Am told the car was crushed by a salvage yard employee masking his theft of the aluminum 1971 455HO intake manifold and Ram Air SR quadrajet.

The car was an original Atol Blue with white vinyl top 1970 Pontiac GTO with factory a/c, automatic transmission, and "YS" code standard 1970 GTO 400 engine. I paid $300 for the car in October or November 1982, with a blown - spun bearing - engine. The engine shop - decades gone - failed to check the deck, which had been warped and found with cracks between the center two cylinders upon teardown in the wake of head gasket failure weeks after first driving that rebuild.

If the story of it's mid 1985 crushing were untrue, and it ended up for sale in the Arlington-Alexandria-Woodbridge Virginia area subsequently, its a factory atol blue with white vinyl top std engine, automatic, a/c, p/s,p/b, crank windows 1970 GTO.

Facebook photo album:

https://www.facebook.com/douglas.wil...9469651&type=3

There is one at gateway classics Detroit It’s a judge clone. Vin says its blue blue with white top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-05-2020, 03:38 PM
Senior Chief

Those are some great old pics in that Facebook photo album. someone didn’t particularly like the white vinyl top. No problem, just get a blue magic marker, lol! Hope you find your car, looks like it was practically part of the family for a while.

Old 11-07-2020, 08:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by will slow gto View Post
Those are some great old pics in that Facebook photo album.
Some pictures for all to see.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70 Atoll GTO D. Willinger.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	553246   Click image for larger version

Name:	70 Atoll GTO D. Willinger 2.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	553247