Old 08-17-2019, 10:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to Buford T. JuSStice
Default Fun factor predictions - The "If I won the lotto" car build

Without getting into the fine details, this is what I'd build if I suddenly came into more money than I knew what to do with.

1984 Trans Am
Pontiac V8 out of a 1973 Catalina - 400 block
428 Stroker kit - 10.5:1 compression ratio
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI w/ Edelbrock Aluminum RPM heads
"Old Faithful" Cam from SD Performance
Roller Rockers 1.52 intake, 1.6 exhaust ratio
TCI 6X 4L80E based Six Speed Transmission w/ paddle shift
Heidts F-Body Independent Rear Suspension Bolt-In Kit
Coil over front suspension
Subframe Connectors, Roll Cage, Strut Tower Brace, Recaro race buckets, six-point harnesses, back seat chucked in the garbage
Year One 17x9" Cast "Snowflake" Rims w/ 245/45R17 Z-Rated tires
Carbon Fiber "Turbo Bulge" hood
Made to look as stock as humanly possible, with the deepest blackest paint job I could get.
T-Tops off, Wind in my hair, sunglasses glaring in the sun, 80's music blasting

Basically, not looking to build a drag racer. This would be a road course car built for carving up the corners and keeping up with modern muscle.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Boost Engineer

I would buy a repop of a 1967 Mustang fastback.

Similar to a 1968 Bullet Mustang but without the ugly side marker lights.

I went to college with a road race guy who had a 1967 Mustang fastback with a Holman and Moody 427 engine in the car. (His family had lots of money vs I had little).

It had a 1967 style NASCAR cage in the vehicle but you could get into the car, not like a Dukes of Hazzard Charger.

We used to "road race" from town to town on the "country roads". I was the navigator.

So If I had the Money, I would do a similar vehicle (as the metal for the cars is being reproduced and licensed by Ford again).
I would have the engine built with aluminum parts (available today) but with the same design specs as the Le Mans that won Le Mans in 1966, 67, 68, and 69. Engine would live forever. But 200 mph capability on the Texas Mile. It would be boosted.

I had a 78 Trans Am at one time, the TA and the Mustangs are totally different in the way they ride on long trips.
TAs are cool vehicles but not for me in 2019.

Tom V.

That 1967 Mustang was probably the safest vehicle I ever rode in in the 60s.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 08-17-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would probably do a gnarley kit car. I really like the Factory Five Daytona’s. With a 427 FE.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I would probably do a gnarley kit car. I really like the Factory Five Daytona’s. With a 427 FE.
I used to joke with a friend of mine from work that I wanted to build a Factory Five Roadster, but I'd put a Turbo Buick V6 in it with a TH200-4R just to make the Ford guys angry at me.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Boost Engineer

The Pontiac Guys have their own PURISTS too but I am sure that your Turbo Buick engine in that Factory Five Roadster would be a blast to drive.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Seek to fit "Freevalve" technology to an aftermarket Pontiac V8 head - freevalve.com.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The Pontiac Guys have their own PURISTS too but I am sure that your Turbo Buick engine in that Factory Five Roadster would be a blast to drive.

Tom V.
I mean... consider how fast it was in the Grand National... Heck yeah it would be a blast to drive! I bet it'd probably give plenty of Coyotes a run for their money too

But my plan was to put a Pontiac V8 into a Third Gen because I'm one of those purists. I wanted to take the Pontiac Engine and try and update with some modern tech, and then do the same to the Firebird chassis I've got. I've already got the block and the car I wanna put it in, I just need to start saving money to do it.

To be fair though, I put a SBC into my Buick Wagon because that was just easier, and way cheaper than building a Buick V6 or V8.

*EDIT*
Checking out the FFR forums, apparently the Turbo V6, Cobra Roadster combo has been done before, and it runs 11's in the quarter mile

Last edited by Buford T. JuSStice; 08-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastry_chef View Post
Seek to fit "Freevalve" technology to an aftermarket Pontiac V8 head - freevalve.com.
I'm almost curious when Kauffman is gonna come out with GDI heads that supports Solenoid actuated valves. Of course, those would also probably be a couple of grand a piece lol

Old 08-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T. JuSStice View Post
I'm almost curious when Kauffman is gonna come out with GDI heads that supports Solenoid actuated valves. Of course, those would also probably be a couple of grand a piece lol
It's WAY too early to be hopping on the GDI wagon. Eco-boost had direct injection, it now has dual injection. Christian von Koenigsegg mentions port vs direct in the Freevalve video.

https://youtu.be/S3cFfM3r510

And as long as we're talking lottery money, you gotta start with an aluminum block.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I had stupid money, I'd do a stupid build...

1970 Chevrolet El Camino.
GTO front end, doors and sculpted rear.
RA IV, 4 speed and HD 10 bolt or 455, TH400 and 12 bolt.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aluminum Pontiac block in a winged 410 sprint car and all the attendant aluminum top end parts. N/A on methanol it would need to make around 950 HP to be competitive today. It may also require a short deck block to be competitive.

Many years ago there was a non winged sprint car/super modified out of PA that ran an injected 389. I saw it at the local speedway in Erie PA, and have never forgotten it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-17-2019, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1963 Lemans roadracer.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If I won the lottery, I’d search out a 1986 DeTomaso Pantera GTS - the one with the steel / smooth molded fender flares. 20 yrs ago, I saw a beautiful Red ‘86 GTS listed in DuPont Registry for a whopping $49,000.00. There’s one on eBay right now (first one I’ve seen listed in a few years) for $250,000.00. Makes me wish I’d have maxed out 4-5 credit cards 20 yrs ago...

Old 08-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 62 Catalina, 4.350 bore 4"stroke twin turbo, with one of Marcella's beautiful intakes on top... Its fun to dream every now and then...

Old 08-17-2019, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll assume I win one of the big ones, giving me 100 million or more cash left to spend.

I'd build up a fleet of street & race Pontiacs. 2 of the street cars would be a '65 & a '69 GTO, both with HD Muncie 4-speed trans.

The race cars would include several Stockers & Super Stockers. The SS cars would run the legal alum head 428.

Would also have several bracket racers, since that's what our local tracks run. With plenty of $$$, there would be no reason not to run all alum big cube Pontiac engines. Would probably have 1st, 2nd & 3rd gen Bird bodies, set up with SS type, big tire suspension.

Would pay all expenses for several other Pontiac guys to race with me(at least 4 cars at every race).

Obviously, I'd need to have motor homes, enclosed trailers, & golf carts, for all.

I'd invest in some of the Pontiac parts repro possibilities that have been mentioned, including iron heads, cheaper iron blocks, parts to make building nice 350 engines cheaper(to make good use of all the 350 blocks out there), and other stuff to help the Pontiac community.

There have been LOTS of other great American made cars, thru the years, including Ford, Mopar, & other GM models, from the Musclecar era. I could have bought one of those, back in '69, when I bought my 1st car. But, I wanted a Pontiac GTO. And I've never regretted that choice.

I'm a Pontiac freek ! And, at my age, not likely to change. So, even with unlimited funds, I'd still choose Pontiacs, with Pontiac power, over all other brands. Not the quickest, not the most expensive, but still my choice.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Eco-boost had direct injection, it now has dual injection. Christian von Koenigsegg mentions port vs direct in the Freevalve video.

https://youtu.be/S3cFfM3r510
If you did a search on Ford DI fuel injection and Port Injection, you would never see it mentioned that way in the Ford Information.

We have had Dual Systems since 2016 on some of the Ford ECOBOOST Engines.
The Le Mans Cars being one of the first systems with the dual systems.

The later Trucks now have the Dual Systems if you look closely at a engine "cut-away".
Ford calls their stuff "DIRECT INJECTION" and INDIRECT INJECTION" (not PORT INJECTION).
We run on the INDIRECT INJECTION most of the time as it keeps the Ports and valves cleaner.
The DI stuff comes on at higher boost levels.

Tom V.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d finish the car I’m already doing I’d just hurry up and do it

Old 08-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I’d finish the car I’m already doing I’d just hurry up and do it
Excellent idea!!!

I understand (maybe) where Tom V. Is coming from on not really wanting a 2nd gen Trans Am, these days. They don't ride all that great, those huge heavy doors are not user friendly. I'd like to go for a ride in the TA that Chip Foose did, for his last TV show build it was a 78. I think they installed a 4 link and a complete Detroit Speed sub frame. There were a few things about that build that I did not like, the "extra" flares that go behind the wheels. Used to see those advertise all the time.

I will finish my TA. I bought it new as a senior in high school. Would like to have an all aluminum Pontiac in it, that could happen..right now focus is on a huge pile of 400 and 455 parts.

I have a 67 and 68 Chevy pickups the 68 is Gold. GM painted some good that year to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Chevrolet pickup. I did not know that. The gold pickups could be had with all available options. Mine would likely be considered one of the more desirable "Goldens". It was a 396/Th400/PS/PB/AC equipped model. I am chiseling away towards its finished state also...
The 67 C10 is plain Jane, although came to itch factory AC also, which is uncommon for 67. It has a SBC 400/TH400 waiting for it, right now. Will be an awesome fun driver!

These dreams of mine are not big, but I am ready for them to happen!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

Where to start:

1st= 1967 Corvette
2nd=1965 GTO
3rd=1964 Catalina
4th=1969 GTO

Probably all of them would have all the modern conveniences like rack & pinion steering, new suspension, A/C, cruise, Pwr windows and locks, fuel injected, and boost. Anything else to make it an enjoyable daily driver.

Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 AM

It would take all that $$ to fix the 69 firebird I have now. I'd just call up Ames and say "send me one of everything!"