Old 01-04-2020, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ‘65 Trunk Pan fix

Can a 3 piece kit be used to repair this easier than a 1 piece?
Are the repro 3pc kits an exact match for the factory pans?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8F9E690E-2EF9-4128-8E9F-3608578CCD53.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	528184  

Old 01-04-2020, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine was repaired by the previous owner with a 3 piece. It is not an exact match, It is different that that front center plug. Had i done it i would have gone 1 piece for sure.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As Cardo said, I believe the new pans are 66-67. Will work fine but some physical difference..

"Bill"!

Old 01-05-2020, 01:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We used the Goodmark three piece on mine. It came out nice but clearly not an exact match. I probably have a couple of photos if that would help.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:06 AM

The original trunk pan has a small diamond shape raised every few rows. The repros don't. The lip around the drain plugs is also different. If you need to replace so much where you need all 3 pieces might as well go for the one piece. It serms Goodmark makes the pan for most of the suppliers and it is made in Taiwan. I ordered the trunk pan from different manufacturers and they all had the Goodmark sticker with the different manufacturers sicker right on top.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:09 AM

My pans were in about the same shape as yours. I ordered the Goodmark 3 piece pans and then grafted in the "64/65" conversion kit. I'll post some pictures later. I have only epoxied and urethane primered them so the final coat is not on, but I think they came out nice.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:35 AM

Here they are. I still need to to do some more work, sand the primer, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	528212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	528213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	528214  

Old 01-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They do look nice. You still need to punch the drain hole by the left inner fender. I wish the people making repop parts would make them "correct" for us. I would pay the extra gladly.

"Bill"!

Old 01-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks good.

Do you need to lift the body off the frame with a 3 piece kit?

Does the 3 piece kit go all the way to the wheelwell seams and to the covered holes?

I think cutting out a patch would be easier than replacing all the way to the seams all around.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:36 PM

Should not need to raise body with kit. I did as I used the opportunity to change rubber body mounts all around. The three piece kits I purchased covered to ww seams and up the trunk front but the brand purchased did not have any holes (round or oval) cut out. You may find that cutting a large piece/patch from a one piece trunk floor would work for you. Us old people, with joint replacements, found that securing the left section, and then the right ; while standing on the garage floor thru the yet to be secured middle of the trunk...worked fair. Still had to crawl in (after bracing up to floor bottom-between frame rails) but did not seem so bad.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used the 3 piece in my car. Its not the greatest.Fit was great , but the 2 seams that join the 3 pieces is a pain to make look right.If I used another 3 piece , I would have joined the three sections (2 seams) with SEM panel adhesive as you would be able to lay it flat and have a very small edge to cover insted of a long weld , or row of spot welds.

I wish I had known that a 1 piece was available.
If I had to do it over I would try the one piece.I think it will be tight , but you should be able to squeeze/ wiggle it into the trunk through the trunk opening.

The 3 piece did fit well in all the edges.

Its your choice.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always wondered since now they often use adhesive to put a quarter panel on if some panel adhesive would work on floors/trunks.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 01-06-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
They do look nice. You still need to punch the drain hole by the left inner fender. I wish the people making repop parts would make them "correct" for us. I would pay the extra gladly.

"Bill"!
Interesting, never noticed that. Do you happen to know what size that hole is?

My biggest gripe with the panels was all the prep work I had to do before hand around the wheel wells. I'll bet I placed and pulled each side 20 times to get that part right. Perhaps the one piece panels are better in that regard.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.dannypascoemetalshaping....-quarter..html

Found this link to a repair job.
Looks like a lot of spot welds to drill out if using a 1 piece pan.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
I have always wondered since now they often use adhesive to put a quarter panel on if some panel adhesive would work on floors/trunks.
Oh yeah. Stuff works great.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, never had a reason to measure and car is put up for the winter. Order one from our host so you can measure yourself. That way you can be sure.Good luck.

"Bill"!

Old 01-07-2020, 12:07 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
Are the repro 3pc kits an exact match for the factory pans?
elefantfinder,

For 1964

I don't believe there is much difference between the 1964 and 1965 panels, except for the surface coating.
If you are looking to present a concourse or original appearing panel, the greatest discrepancy you may wish to address is the front center drain hole area in the lower panel. The picture you show in Post No. 1 shows the proper cross with the 1" dia. drain hole centered within the cross. There are several pictures in the Pasco Link in Post No. 14 that shows the incorrect oval indentation, rather than the cross. It is my experience that this is what you will receive when ordering a replacement panel. Nothing beats the original panels for fit and appearance, so if you can patch the original, I have always felt that is the way to go. If not,.hopefully, you can save the cross area from your original panel and weld it into place within your replacement panel.

The original floor pans were spot welded to under-floor braces. These spot welds along the two braces above the fuel tank typically ran in pairs 3.5 - 4" apart side-to-side with 2.25 - 3.25" separating each pair of welds running front to back. Other areas of the trunk floor also were provided with spot welds with differing gaps and spacing. In total, you had over 100 weld marks visible in the floor panel. The underside bracing would have also received reciprocating weld marks. Your replacement panels and bracing kits will be void of these weld marks. Depending upon how serious you want to get, a 1/4" dia. punch and a heavy hammer can restore these marks to your replacement floor pan and braces. Of course, this needs to done prior to the application of the surface coating. Depending upon the application levels of the speckle coating on your '65, this may not be as critical as it is for us '64 owners that use only a coating of lower body color paint. Care should be taken not to over-prime the floor panel as this will tend to erase the weld marks. The trunk mat will not cover all of these weld marks. The underside bracing would still be visible for both years.

I am not familiar with all the various vendors that stamp these trunk floor panels, but also suspect that one or two vendors supply most of the hobby. It is critical that you save your original panel so as to compare against the replacement panels for any variations. A good body man can return the various markings to these panels.

Hokie1984

All trunk floor pan drain holes are 1'" dia. and filled with a rubber plug.

Last edited by JAKE 64; 01-07-2020 at 12:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAKE 64 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The car also has some through rust on the driver side fender support rail, probably due to the battery acid.
Have never seen that before. Usually the inner fender under the battery rusts before the fender.

Other than that, rust free.
These cars sometimes rust in the strangest places.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is why the trunk pan got shot. Window channel under vinyl top is rusted. Has anyone repaired the channel before? Does it require a donor chann el? Is the vinyl top pattern still available?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6A5A8899-9BC1-40C3-8511-995DB0CCEC6F.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	529958  

Old 01-25-2020, 08:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I replaced mine.

They call it a tulip panel (at least that is what I bought)

This here is one.
Pretty easy fix
I even used lead at the side seams like the factory

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1965-C...UAAOSwWdZZZjuK

The Following User Says Thank You to LATECH For This Useful Post: