Old 10-20-2016, 03:47 PM

Default Trying to install a dual gate in a 67 GTO

I have the assembly manual but the pages are too faded to be useful so I was wondering if anyone could help me with measurements of exactly where the hurst dual gate bolts down. My car was originally a column mounted shifter car so I have nothing to go by. Please help, I'm soo close to getting this car on the road. It's been parked for 44 years.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the console connect the console to the shifter and locate the correct spot and mark your holes.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at the transmission hump and see if there are any dimples where the shifter should sit. Here are a few pics of my car taken during tear down to give you a general idea. There is a flat spot on the transmission hump where the rear of the shifter base sits.
My car was originally an automatic but someone before me put in a manual tranny. When I got the car it had been changed back over to the auto. That is why there is a patch on the tranny hump.
I even had measurements for the cable hole but lost them when my old computer crashed. There is a rubber grommet and metal retaining ring for it. The grommet comes installed on the new cable but the ring is not available. I had to make one for my car.
I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trans hump.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	439052   Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	439053   Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter 2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	439054   Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter 3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	439055  

Old 10-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure you have a 67 dual gate, otherwise it will not fit properly.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:53 PM

I guess I'll give it a shot and try to look for the dimples. I have dynamat all over the floor so that may not be that easy. Thanks everyone.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't forget; the 4 locations at the floor where the feet bolt down, underneath each one of those is a white plastic spacer.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
Don't forget; the 4 locations at the floor where the feet bolt down, underneath each one of those is a white plastic spacer.
Ah ha, I thought there should be something that goes under those feet.
I always wondered why my shifter didn't fit as well as I thought. It doesn't line up flush or square with the console top. Being plastic they probably disintegrated away after all these years.

Is there anyone that sells replacements? Does anyone have any measurements off an original spacer? Maybe I can find a substitute.
Thanks for the info Peter!

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
-----------------------------------
Old 10-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and make sure you have the dual gate shifter cable also

Old 08-03-2021, 01:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
Peter, is the white plastic spacer similar to the white spacers on a bucket seat apron?

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 08-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It might be, but I think the spacers that go in-between the shifter and the floor are made from a more durable material. As I recall they are a bit taller and thicker than the molded ivory nylon ones for the bucket seat metal trim.

They almost look like they were made from compressed wood or dense fiberboard to survive being tightened snug underneath the flange(s).

It's been a long time but I am pretty sure that a normal 2 speed automatic console shifter from a 66 or 67 Le Mans used those spacers as well.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not mount it until you have the console in place to make sure everything mounts up nicely before you drill any holes. I have a 67 LeMans and I modified the LeMans console and installed an after market 67 Dual Gate in it and it worked out great and looks factory. Finding a 67 GTO console in good shape would of been more money than I wanted to spend but the modified LeMans console works great. There is not much room for error so a fit check with the console in place is definitely in order. The spacers under the feet are needed to get the shifter to the right height and I believe the spacers may be available through Ames. If you can't find them you could use aluminum or another firm material of the same height to get the job done.