Old 03-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have the sub-frame and suspension pieces Chrome Plated
razzle dazzle bling bling

Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Have the sub-frame and suspension pieces Chrome Plated razzle dazzle bling bling
…already going with chrome plated wheel wells, faux fur zebra stripes, and a Purple Superbird wing installed backwards…adding chrome suspension pieces would just make it look tacky

actually, the plan is to forego bling altogether. I'm not a car show kind of guy. Just want a really well done Carousel Red Formula that I can blast around in…a factory looking car is perfectly fine with me as long as it's reliable and capable of shortening the trip up to Colorado for skiing with the Mrs…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF 70 FORMULA.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	358510  

Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
and capable of shortening the trip up to Colorado for skiing with the Mrs…
Got a chuckle out of that...

Reminded me of the time in the 80s when me, my GF and buddies piled into my '67 Firebird 400 (with suspension that was pretty "aggressive" in those days, and Gatorback tires), and headed for the mountains of WV to go skiing at Snowshoe. Awesome roads in that part of the world. But they had snow on them that day... so not such a great car choice - it was pretty helpless!

BTW, love that Fitz & Van image of the CR bird.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The frame shop owner worked on my car as a side project, and he's finally finished. Didn't require a ton of work. Gaps were good to begin with and are now even better.

So far, I know we'll be replacing the tail panel, inner tail panel, patching the lower LH quarter, and replacing a section of the RH quarter just above the crease from the wheel to the tail panel (I have an original used quarter section for this). The trunk, drops, and everything else looks good. Next week she'll be headed to the media blaster for stripping--so we'll see what other issues are lurking. Given the lack of rust, I'm hopeful the work will be minimal and that we'll just have to deal with typical dings that have accumulated over the last 4 decades.

Most of the engine parts are in. The pile includes a new Allpontic aluminum block and a 4.5" forged crank--yes, I committed to 535ci. The heads and intake also turned out great.

I had to start making decisions about how faithful I'm going to be with the build sheet, and for that matter, '70 specific parts. I know I'll need to make changes in the interest of functionality and cost, but I'd like the car to maintain a '70 identity, and even more important, I don't want it to turn out looking cheesy or a hodgepodge.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, 4 months have passed and not much new to report. However, I just moved the car to another shop and now things are back on track. Hope to make steady progress from here on out.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I mentioned earlier, the car is virtually rust free. Unfortunately, there was some very old collision damage to both quarters that wasn't repaired correctly, at least not to today's standards for these cars. We decided it would be best to replace both quarters (along with tail panel) rather than trying to save the originals. The new full quarters (and tail panel) look so good it's kind of a no brainer.

Anyway, the tubs turned out great, and Randy has moved onto the Quadra Link installation. There's a ton of cutting and welding involved--much more than both of us expected--but the outcome should be well worth it in the end. This part of the project should be finished next week, and then it's off to the blaster again.

I still feel a bit of angst about cutting up a cool Formula to do this sort of build (never mind the expense), but I will enjoy the heck out of this car once it's done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	formula 1.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	381310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula 2.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	381311   Click image for larger version

Name:	formula 3 tubs.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	381312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula 4.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	381313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Formula 5.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	381314  

Old 11-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The majority of the cutting, welding, grinding, etc. for the rear suspension is done. Just a few pieces left. Although things will be tidied up and finished underneath the car, I asked Randy not to take it too far beyond how it would have looked had it been built at the factory with these parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RH QL1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	381949   Click image for larger version

Name:	LH QL2.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	381950   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH QL E1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	381951  

Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you find a build sheet on top of the gas tank?

Old 11-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Did you find a build sheet on top of the gas tank?
I did not find a build sheet.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Randy spent some time fitting the front sheet metal. Rather than repairing (grafting in the vent sections) of my 70 hood, I decided to use a really nice 71 hood I picked up locally last year. I'm pretty happy with how the gaps are looking at this point.

To prevent twisting of the body from the torque the 535 we need to install a roll bar…I really didn't want to have to do it, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The plan is to make it as unobtrusive as practically possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LF Gap.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	383497   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF Gaps.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	383498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood gaps.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	383499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood gaps1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	383500  

Old 12-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Things are moving right along. Bumper is stripped and fits well with the hood and fenders, which fit well with the doors.

Valence is in great shape.

Will be using the Firebird and Formula 400 fender emblems so Randy had to drill some new holes in the replacement RH fender That's the only work that fender needed besides filling body side moulding holes.

Last edited by Gator67; 12-09-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Progress slowed over the holiday, but it's full steam ahead now.

The hood, bumper, valence, fender and door gaps look great at this point. I'm particularly happy that the hood is straight and free of cracks. About ready to be disassembled so the car can go back to the media blaster.

The car has been on Randy's jig for months now. It will go back on when it comes back from media blasting so that quarters, tail panel, subframe and connectors are dead nuts perfect. The car is being built to drive and the last thing I want is a weird vibration.

We'll also need to mock up the engine to make sure everything fits under the formula hood. The engine will sit back an inch (due to the DSE subframe), and although the FI unit is shorter than a q-jet, we're planning on using a slightly taller intake (looks like short Super Victor)...I'm not sure how this is all going to work out.

Test fitted the quarters…they look really good.

Randy welded in the 4-point roll bar yesterday--I seriously considered going with a completely blind set-up that Albert mentioned, but I'm sticking to the cap I set on the jack I'm willing to dump into this deal. I may still add short diagonal pieces from the main hoop to the subframe connectors (behind the front seat) for added rigidity. It's not like my wife will ever let my kids get in the back seat so easy access is moot at this point.

Last edited by Gator67; 01-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car just arrived from media blasting, still in bare metal.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are some amazing shots.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In epoxy now. Randy reassembled the front clip again so he could begin body work. The car is straight as can be already without any filler. I can't imagine how good it's going to look when he's done. He also started to fit the quarters and tail section. Nice pieces.

We'll be out of garage space when this car is finished so we decided to list our house and look for another or build. Of course, we had to paint the exterior first and get some landscaping done to spruce things up. Talk about a snowballing project! It would be much easier to sell one of the cars…anyone want a 70 TA?

Old 03-14-2015, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

truly amazing stuff

Old 03-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

X2!!!

Old 03-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
We'll be out of garage space when this car is finished so we decided to list our house and look for another or build. Of course, we had to paint the exterior first and get some landscaping done to spruce things up. Talk about a snowballing project! It would be much easier to sell one of the cars…anyone want a 70 TA?
This is exactly my dilemma. Too many cars to garage at the house, and not possible to expand the garage due to property size. But I don't want to move, and I don't want to get rid of any cars! Ugh.

Your Formula's coming along nicely - going to be a killer car!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Last couple days have been spent trying to get all the gaps right in the tail. I don't plan to install a spoiler, so gaps have to be spot on, especially the trunk lid/quarter lips to the upper part of the outer tail panel/tail lights. We're almost there I think.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Damn. I'm not sure what else to say...

Looks so good. You're a busy man. Yeah, why don't you just go ahead and sell your house and build a new one right in the middle of this chaos. I love a guy that likes to stay busy. I look forward to watching your progress.