Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

Default Any A/C Guys here?

I was wondering if there are any A/C techs here that could clear up some questions for me.

The A/C in the 94 Corvette my wife and I just bought doesn't work.I hooked my gauges up and there was no pressure so either someone had the system open or there is a leak. I connected my vacuum pump and got it down to about 25" and stopped. I was suspecting a leak but with the manifold valves closed for the past 72 hours and still holding at 25" I've ruled out an obvious leak and now assume that it has just leaked out over the past 26 years or someone had the system open. Regardless, it's not leaking now.

Now it's been quite some time since I did any real A/C servicing. In fact it was back in the R12 days when things were for the most part unregulated and back then I would just connect the R12 tank and recharge the system. My problem today is that due to regulations(yes I'm in Canada) I can't buy a tank of R134a. I can still however buy cans of refrigerant that is supposed to be R12/R134a compatible. My questions is, are any of these "top-up" refrigerants okay to use for a full recharge? Are some better than others? Can they really be mixed with R134a?

My concern is that I don't want to damage the A/C system with some low grade refrigerant. My concern comes from a top-up kit that I used on a 91 VW about 10 years ago. It worked well but then the compressor seized about two months later. A friend from work also tried the same kit on his 95 Chev 1500 and two months later his compressor also seized. The product we used was Dura Cool and we didn't use a manifold gauge set, just the low px gauge that was supplied with the kit. I don't see it around anymore but I'm still a bit apprehensive to use something other than pure R134a.

What do you guys think? Will these top up kits work for a full recharge or should I be concerned about using them?

Old 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are cans also illegal? Just reading an ad today (7-6-20) for Rural King and they have 12 oz. 134a cans on sale for $2.99 with a limit of 12 cans. If you can't get it, have it shipped to a friends house in the U.S. and take necessary steps from there.

http://enews.ruralking.com/q/qHcX-5A...ga_CQmkQApdY_E

Old 07-08-2020, 09:47 PM
Senior Chief

Cans dont appear to be illegal so I ordered some off of Amazon. I guess I'll know when or if it shows up.

That Rural King is awesome and made be chuckle. You guys have so many cool places is the US. I mean where else can you buy a light fixture, coffee and an AR or M1 all at a one stop shop!

Old 07-09-2020, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They had a Gatling gun for sale for $60,000 dollars recently.

Rural King started in my hometown in Illinois. Awesome company.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-09-2020, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had 3 cans all leak out in storage. I got rid of all the cans, I’m trying a large tank now.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱