WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 Interior Tech

93-02 Interior Tech OK, so who's door panels Aren't cracked?!

Old 02-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Dyeing Seat Belts

Can it be done. I have a perfectly good set of seatbelts that are green and want to dye black. I tried the spray dye for vinyl and carpet, but only made them look darker green. I tried Rit fabric dye, and got the same results.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 AM
Suspended

When you used the rit dye did you soak the belts in the dye in a bucket for about 3 hours in HOT water??? If you use the dye & soak it in a bucket they will come out looking black the way your trying to get them. I've dyed a few belts before but it needs to be done that way. It will work that way.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks. I cross posted this on a chevelle site, as these are actually for a 66 SS396 vert. Dye instructions said 1/2 jar for 3 gallons of water for an hour. I used 1/2 jar for 2 gallons in 130 degree water. didn't work. Chevelle site recommended full jar for 6 quarts 180 degree water for an hour. I added the rest of the dye to my 2 gallons, heated on the stove to 180, left the belts, buckles and all in for an hour, and they came out perfect. I was not concerned about the numbers, so I dyed the label and all. You can remove the labels and re-sew if in matters to you.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:40 AM
Suspended

I did the same when I tried to dye mine. I was trying to be cheap & only put in 1 box in a big 5 gal bucket of hot water & then ended up using I think 2 or 21/2 box's of the dye in the 5 gal. bucket & then with more hot water with a bit about 2 cups of vinegar in the water because my grandmother told to use the vinegar so the color will stay longer. I don't know why vinegar but it made them look brighter to, but had to rinse them longer to get the smell out, but it did work as she said & it's been since 1986 since I redied them & they still look good.