Old 01-21-2020, 12:04 PM

Default Tube headers or factory super duty

I now have on my car, factory reproduction super Duty headers that were used on the 62,63 super duty cars . Question, would using dougs tubular headers be an advantage performance wise over the factory exhaust manifolds? The motor is a 462 inch around 500 Hp. In a 62 Catalina, turbo 400 , 3:90 gear. Weight at 3660 lbs. also using a torque converter with a 3800 stall? Opinion also on the converter to high stall ?

Old 01-21-2020, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have the cast version factory exhaust?Not the factory tube headers made for 63 big car?If yours are cast alu there might not be a big advantage but if iron the weight alone is a advantage.I have only seen a couple sets of factory tube headers and all were 63.Tom

Old 01-31-2020, 08:04 AM

I know they are not factory tube headers. They are factory repro aluminum SD ON THE CAR NOW. I’m looking to install a pr of Doug tubular headers. If the tube type be better performance wise than the factory type SD headers

Old 01-31-2020, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Every SD guy I ever talked to about those factory aluminum manifolds said they all warped and leaked. I'm sure repops are no better. Also, as good as they may or may not be, they are antique technology. If it was my car and I was looking for performance, I would go with full tube headers.