THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Not to hijack this thread but everyone talking about Hagerty's keeps mentioning the magazine. I have been with them since I bought my 67 in 2005 and have never received a magazine. I guess I will have to contact them about it.
To receive the magazine, you must be enrolled in the Hagerty Drivers Club (roadside assistance) program. Most policyholders check this box because it starts at $45/yr (and goes up from there). With the magazine included, which is seriously one of the nicer automotive magazines you will find (way better than the usual rags), it becomes even more appealing.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 06-26-2020, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
It's hard to imagine that playing a very big factor with classic auto insurers, though. Companies like Hagerty and American Collectors likely base their premiums mostly on market value and total loss figures, and not so much risk assessment associated with horsepower or engine displacement.

I could see the larger displacement cars having a higher market value and thus impacting premiums that way. But since classic cars are typically a very low risk item to insure, power/displacement alone seems like it would be less of a factor. Whether you have a 400 or 455, these cars are pretty much only used for getting ice cream on Sundays regardless of engine size. This is just my hunch, but it seems most likely.

Engine size absolutely does matter if we're talking about traditional auto insurers and modern daily use vehicles, though.
I asked Hagerty the cost to insure a NOM car with a 400 vs a 455HO engine
260 vs 335 hp.. 75 bucks, same 25k+ car value.
Its just an observation, BUT I am guessing the mustang boys are making the HP a bigger issue in recent years .

Old 06-26-2020, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I asked Hagerty the cost to insure a NOM car with a 400 vs a 455HO engine
260 vs 335 hp.. 75 bucks, same 25k+ car value.
Its just an observation, BUT I am guessing the mustang boys are making the HP a bigger issue in recent years .
Was it because of the horsepower or maybe a 455 would be a little more costly to replace than a 400?

Old 06-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said I have American Collectors and in 30 years they have never asked what HP the cars are. The GTO is just short of 600.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Was it because of the horsepower or maybe a 455 would be a little more costly to replace than a 400?
No, its higher HP. The same applies to regular car insurance
2 Identical cars. One has a Turbocharger.
NOT talking about Comprehensive here, Just liability
Turbo car is more expensive, even with a clean license driver in his/ her 60's.
I do not know why the higher performance = higher costs is such a hard concept to understand.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check with Heacock. It’s usually half. Grundy, and Hagetry being the highest.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Check with Heacock. It’s usually half. Grundy, and Hagetry being the highest.
I mentioned that earlier but the overzealous Mod Police deleted it because it was supposedly OT.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had American Classic since 2008 when I bought my GTO. Cost has been 259.00 for the last 3 years. Was 250.00 when I started out. The only claim I've had was for a busted windshield. Road assist is included at no extra charge. I didn't really have to but I've used it once for a 15 mile rice home. All taken care of by the insurance.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Hagerty and have always been treated very well, but here's two things I've learned:

1. When you fill out your application for a quote it defaults to higher mileage. You have to go in and adjust it to a lower mileage level and the premium falls quite a bit. Hagerty has never asked for any mileage readings on any of my cars so let your conscience be your guide on miles driven. I've had friends that wanted to switch but the higher quote scared them off until they went in and adjusted their estimated yearly mileage.

2. How Hagerty handles engines is interesting but understandable when you see where they are coming from. I made the mistake of listing the value of the modified engine and the premium for that car doubled in price. I called and talked to a rep and he said it was amazing how many terribly expensive engines were stolen out of insured cars and they were stuck for the replacement cost. Hagerty charges a hefty price for covering exotic engine parts. The rep went on that without the extended modified engine coverage they simply covered the cost of a stock engine regardless of what was under the hood. This was fine with me and they lowered the premium back down. They didn't care about horsepower or type of engine or add-ons, they simply didn't want a big claim filed for a stolen gold-plated engine. I keep the agreed value towards the top of the range so the engine and parts are pretty much covered anyway if the car is stolen or destroyed.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Hagerty and had opportunity to actually use their services a few years ago.
No issues with them. The initial claim was promptly paid as were the 3 supplements that followed over the next year plus. No questions asked.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:46 PM

I to have no complaints about hagerty, an also get the magazine