Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 AM

'67 GTO hardtop, bought it in 1986 for $150 running. Had left front fender and bumper damage but no frame damage. damage did not get into the hood, just fender/bumper. Overall a good car and was all there and original.

I bought it for the engine and trans to put into the '66 GTO project I was working on at the time. Should have found another engine and got the '67 back together too but I was a kid on a budget.

A buddy ran a salvage yard, he towed it to the yard where I stripped what I could off it, hood, body parts etc. then turned what was left into crusher bait.
Always figured if I needed another goat or parts would be easy enough to find. Wow, things have changed.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '72 GP. Found HUGH amounts of rust in the trunk floors and quarter panels. No one made aftermarket trunk floor repair panels back in 1996, so I parted her out. BAD CHOICE!!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

63 star cheif
67 cougar
68 chevelle 4 dr
69 gto
69 firebird
71 lemans x2
71 lemans sport
72 lux lemans
72 skylark
74 firebird
75 t/a
77 se t/a
78 t/a
79 formula
79 t/a 4 sp
79 t/a x2

Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68 Firebird convertible(Sweet car really but was getting all the signs that the previous resto wasnt done well.) All things considered I did well. Drove it for 4 years and more than doubled all money I ever put in it outside gas/oil and lightbulbs. A 66 Tempest bondo and tin patch special was a ton of fun and pretty quick(11.78/114 best with a 440/t400 combo) despite being way overweight for only having power steering and junkyard Impala bucket seats(3700+). Weak rusty frame got to point of doors not wanting to open after a hard pass thru the gears. Should have kept the motor. Some guy in the Air Force bought it. (cheap) Dont know what became of it. My 59 Cat was a cool car but needed far too much to move it south with me. My 55 Starcheif Custom Catalina (my wife is still mad I sold it) needed body and paint resto but it would have only needed fresh tires to make the trip south. Ran great. 51000 original mile granny car. Leather interior was near perfect. Possibly no one ever sat in rear seats? Front seat had a small puncture only visible with door open. Only idea how it could have got there is maybe a snowbrush? I sold it for what I had into it... someone got themselves a nice project car.

Three other cars I wish I kept or could have kept.
A 56 Plymouth Belvedere 2dr hdtp with a 62 318 in it. Fixed it up sweet, went to register it and turned out to be a stolen vehicle! I was almost 17 and learned a costly lesson.

A 62 Corvair Spyder(factory turbo) (pretty quick when I upgraded the turbo). Newly married and in the mid/late 70's when it looked like muscle cars and racing were going to fade away due to emission regs, insurance, and fuel costs I sold it(cheap). I had all the original pieces too. Fair collector value these days nothing to take a year off work on though.

My 73 Hornet hatchback(Levi package). I ditched the boring pale blue exterior for 73 Lincoln Continental medium blue metallic. Interior looked good but not particularly something you would be comfortable sitting in after a few hours. 258 6 ran good. It had posi 2.78 rear yet still easily spun the tires. Sort of quick(for a factory 6) to about 30 mph then pretty boring from there. Car rode harsh handled awkward and manual steering was slow. Car liked to use up idler arms(3 in two years). But... I just really like the lines to the 73 hatchbacks. (The 74 got the rear "crash" bumper and from that point fwd they just didnt look as good.) I had no plans to sell it at the time but someone else wanted it and offered me way over max bluebook. I called him later that night and said $100 more...cash and its yours. Car was gone an hour later. Never saw it again. Being such a light vehicle I think it would make a neat drag car. Try finding a restorable one these days.

Cars I might want to have... Well besides 64/65 GTO's and 1st gen Firebirds. Another 59 Catalina 2 dr hdtp is high on the list as are 61 Ventura/Catalina 2dr bubble top. I think a 61 or 62 Tempest would be extra neat if modded to use a 60-64 corvair bubble top. The 67 Catalina/Ventura fastbacks are pretty cool too. Always liked the 76/77 Olds Starfire hatchback lines. The Buick equivalent Skyhawk behind that. Try finding one. Pontiac could have done better and didnt offer the hatch till too late. Monza's front styling was just too boring. A 32 Austin Bantam altered could make for a neat impractical street rod.

Meanwhile I like my 84 GP and have a 53 Stude Commander 2dr hdtp that needs lots and lots of love.(Thinking Pontiac power with a mix of Bonneville and modern drag race appearance.)

Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Suspended

I'm standing mute on this one...

Old 03-22-2012, 02:56 AM
Suspended

....although I will share my story of the 70 T/A.
Back in Mi a guy had two 70 T/As for sale, one was what he called restored and the other was his parts car.
I took one look under the restored car and knew he made a major mistake, it was nothing more than a pretty turd.
The parts car was from AZ and rock solid, I couldn't believe he was using it for parts.
I bought the parts car and sold it to a guy that did professional restorations, it turned out beautiful, show quality.
I myself felt like I did the car justice and spared it from what could have been an ugly demise, I'm also sure the guy that sold the car to me most likely regrets it.
Such is life.

Last edited by Garry Sr; 03-22-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to james47

when i was in high school i had a 1967 ss chevell had a 68 427 vette motor in it with a 4 speed an a 4:11 posi i had it jacked up with big 50s under the ass end was the fastest car in school an got alot of girls because of it well 1 day i was leaveing school in the rain took off nice an easy in first an was going into second just as a buddie was going aound me in his z28 so i grabed second gear an stomped it to the floor caught a telephone pole just behind the passenger dorr witch bent the frame bounced away from that hit a parked car an ended up up side down in a ditch on the opisite side of the road i was laying against the winshiel when i came to with 65 percent of my school standing around looking at me an my beautiful car. had it towed home an t sat there for a couple years under a tarp an a guy stoped by an ask if he could loo at it to buy i told him some about the car an he offered me a nice sum so i took it i miss that car everyday

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I didnt part it out but i regret selling the Convertible 67GTO that was the topless twin to my race car.Just didnt have the space or $$$ to work on both back then.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

back in 1982 I already had a 69 judge raIV, I heard about a 69 gto in chanute ks just sitting. bought it for $150 bucks only missing the motor. it was silver with black interior, black vinyl top, 4 speed, 3.55 posi, sport wood factory steering wheel. i was young, was no sense of rarity yet, and i dis-assembled the car for fun and to learn how every nut bolt went together then parted it out and remaining carcass went to the salvage yard for 20 bucks! oh my.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was given a former 62 Catalina sedan drag car formerly known as the Squaw Chaser. The car was in rough shape, so I pulled all the parts I could use, including the 3:90 posi that was in it, then gave to my buddy for scrap. Instead of scrapping it, he took it to Carlisle to sell and it was then that we both discovered how popular the car was. It drew a huge crowd of folks that knoew what it was. He ended up selling it to one of the people. As far as I know now, it's somewhere down in southern Virginia hopefully, getting restored. Should have held on to that car. D'oh!!!

I also used to own a 62 Bonneville. I cracked the block, so I found a 63 Grand Prix and pulled the motor, rebuilt it and stuck it in the Bonneville. Left the GP at my buddy's house out in the country. He got tired of it and sold it off. I eventually sold the Bonneville. I kick myself for selling the Bonneville AND for leaving the 63 GP at my buddy's place. Both were good cars.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Senior Chief

I had a 62 Grand Prix that I bought from the original owner that had 36000 miles on it. I drove it for 3 years and sold it for $100.00 less than I bought it for. I got pressure to sell the car everywhere I went. It was amazing. I sure miss that car.

1969 GTO
1967 Bonneville 4 Dr Brougham 428
1967 Bonneville 2 dr
1959 Buick LeSabre 2dr
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 AM

I regret parting out my 80 gp LJ T-TOP. IT HAD a raIII 400 WITH A Ra-4 cam
Th 350 and a gn rear....that car was a blast.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Drove a 79 Grand Prix , T tops, factory Spoke wheels , leather buckets, no rust into the ground in 2003. Try finding one today

Old 07-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just before I got my driver's license in 1986, my uncle picked up a 67 SS427 Impala from a guy down the street. 427, 4 speed, buckets, console, gauges....The guy down the street had pulled the original 427 to put in his truck (which he never did), and my uncle took the 4 speed for his Chevelle. I was just about to get my license, and my dad had been telling me he wouldn't sell me the 66 GTO convertible in the garage, so I told him I was going to buy the Impala from my uncle for $150 and just drop a 396/4 speed in it and drive it. Well, when my dad heard that, he said, "Aren't you going to buy the GTO?" I said, "You said you weren't going to sell it to me." When he (finally) told me he would sell me the GTO for $1,000, the Impala was immediately forgotten. My uncle sold it to a wrecking yard that specialized in Chevys, and the rumor I heard was they put it back on the road...

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 07-29-2016, 09:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got two that I can't believe I cut up. The first was a 68 Firebird 400 coupe 4 speed. I bought it to cut the quarters off of and use on my convertible (yes you can do that). The car should have been restored, but at the time, I was just looking for original GM quarters and the weren't making full repops yet.

The second car was a 69 Bird that I got for free off of Craigslist. The guy who owned it was at the end of his lease on his apartment (as in last day) and he had to get rid of it. He said he would give it away to the first person that could be there to trailer it out of there. It even had a clean title. He was going to make a mad max car out of it and had welded an exhaust pipe to the deck lid just to make it look stupid. The interior was covered in fake fur and fuzzy velvet. I managed to borrow a trailer and got some help from a buddy. When we got there, we asked the guy who had it if it ran. He said he thought it would if we threw a battery in it. We tossed a battery in it, but it didn't even turn over. Since we were out of time, we just trailered it to my friends house. We were just about to start parting it out when I noticed a push button under the steering column.

It started and ran right away when I pushed the magic button. I shut it down and got out. It was starting to snow outside. To my surprise, my buddy hopped in and did doughnuts all over the road in front of his house, then brought it back into the garage.

I can remember taking an air chisel to get the windshield out and sawzalling the roof off and then cutting the entire rear section off and flipping it over to get the rearend out of it. We had people coming over all night to buy parts as we took them off. Since we were part of large Firebird car club, we posted an email to our club list about our find, so there was no lack of interest. I can even remember telling some folks that we wouldn't get to removing some parts that night, so they tore them off themselves. There was very little on that car that went unsold or unused by us.

Had I examined the car more closely before starting, I would have realized that it had a very solid shell that would have needed little work to restore it. In the end, I think my friend and I got about $2K for all of the parts and we also kept some. It even had good doors and fenders. But hey, it was a heck of a lot of fun.

OJ

Old 07-29-2016, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a 1969 Baldwin Motion Camaro. rusted bad, it had a jl8 disc brake rear I wanted. Motor was gone already, took the 4 speed, the rear and interior, junked the body, what a mistake. It was not worth big money back in the day!

Old 08-02-2016, 03:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. My crimes against car-manity are but a single teardrop when juxtaposed with this ocean of destruction and regret.

Just a 1980 T/A car-b-que. I bought it for the Cragar SS's now on my 67 FB. I parted out enough to make my money back. I wish I would've kept it as a race car shell since it was already "gutted" by the fire, but space was limited and it smelled like Hell.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Had a 1969 Baldwin Motion Camaro. rusted bad, it had a jl8 disc brake rear I wanted. Motor was gone already, took the 4 speed, the rear and interior, junked the body, what a mistake. It was not worth big money back in the day!
Ouch!

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 05-14-2022, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a 1970 RAIV Trans Am , Blue with a blue deluxe interior , four-speed power windows ? Definitely one I should’ve kept !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7C55112-B8D0-4339-A626-F92C56E092DB.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	590826  

Old 05-16-2022, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you really part that car Matt? Say it ain't so!

He said parting out, not parting with.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978