Old 06-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy
Default Our Story...

My 72 Luxury LeMans which i bought off the original owner when i was 17. It was really rough, he owned apartments and basically used it for a work truck (literally) It he took the torsion rods out of the trunk and but a handle on the outside of the trunk so he could lay his ladder across the sideways and set the trunk lid down on it and bungy cord it shut.. My dad and I were building a 70 gto chassis car and had a couple different gto street car projects, so we bought the 72 basically as a parts car for the GTO's but i ended up driving it daily for the next 7 or 8 years. We paid $500 bucks for it and on the way home i had a blow out.. When the older gentleman we bought it from saw my dad several weeks later he asked how it was doing and my dad said good, but we had a little excitement on the way home. The guy out of the blue pulled out $200 and handed it to my dad and said "tell your boy to go get new tires." I never have forgotten that wonderful act of kindness. The gentleman's name was Engle B. Palmer, and he was quite the character. When the town decided to build a new public pool, Engleben matched the city's investment, plus a dollar just to get one up on them... thats how he was.. He has since passed on, but i always used to drive past his house, hoping he would catch a glimpse of it and know that it was being taken care of. In honor of him, everyone refers to the car as "engleben". Its funny how all the gto's have come and gone, and the one car that stuck in my heart, was the one i didn't care about when i got it.. I drove it to high school, and college. I was driving it on 9-11, i won my first non jr dragster track championship in it, my first wally, basically most of the good firsts of my life happened in that car. I hurt the motor in 2009 in september, the week before he was supposed to be in the Div 3 race of champions at indy, and as i was leading sportsman points and running 3rd in pro as the season wound down. I had other things to race, so i decided to tear engleben apart and do a bunch of things it needed... Well, as it goes a lot of the time, it has taken longer and cost more than i planned, but he is finally coming back together again and i look forward to cruising the old 72 on friday nights, and racing him in brackets or hopefully in the NMCA Nostalgia Muscle Car class or Open Comp class soon! It still has the from uncle to father to son hand me down 400 motor that it has had since the original 350 2bbl came out, and while its not the nicest or the fastest, i wouldnt trade it for anything. And that's our story

Mr palmer's new tires he bought for me. The car under the tarp was a 70 455 H.O grenada gold car. the drivetrain was long gone, and it had severe rust in the rear from a leaking back window.

my Dad, Scott and I at the track.. Probably 2001. the car still had the 350-2bbl and a lot of rust I was probably 18-19 at this time.

another of the same era.

In 2004, the original 350-2 came out for what we thought was a lower end noise... turnout out to be loose converter bolts, but i had worked at a machine shop after school to pay for machine work on a hand me down 1970 400 that belonged in a gto originally owned by my uncle Dick and then my father. It had a hard life, and came to me in peices. It was bored over 30. but otherwise stock, built with sealed power replacement parts.
Overnight it went from running a best of 9.98 - low 10's in the 1/8 to 8.60 in the 1/6 on its first pass.. there was no turning back!

Unfotunately, the 350 or so hp pointed out a lot of weak links that the 175 hp 350 didnt show. The car was terribly inconsistent and tore up a couple th350 transmission. the worn out bushings became a glaring problem, so i did the best i could while saving up for upgrades

In spring of 2005 i had upgraded the rear suspension, bought a solid th400 trans from Coan, and decided to get the old boy cleaned up. An old friend of my dads who lived near by offered to paint the car. He installed the patch panels, took out dozens and dozens of dents, and did it all for a price i could afford.. Considering the shape it was in, and being a side time job in a dirt floor garage, it came out respectable and i was thrilled!

I had slowly tweaked on the motor, and converter, installed a 12 bolt with a 3.73 gear and knocked the e.t. from 8.60 to 7.90-8.0 in the 1/8th without changing anything internal on the motor.

Engleben and I were very successful bracket racing from 2007 - 2009 when the old 400 finally had a hiccup. It broke the oil pump drive rod and fell down the motor and actually beat its way through the windage tray and finally got caught between the crank and the bottom of a cylinder locking the motor up. To my surprise, the bearings looked great, the crank and block checked out uncracked, and the motor has since been upgraded with Edelbrock heads and a solid flat tapped cam. Using stock replacement parts again, the motor made 490 hp and 480 ft lbs on gasoline and 523 hp and 505 ft lbs on methanol. I kept the rpm limited because of the 40+ year old rods and the heavy speed pro pistons, but it was still making power as the rpm's rose, so im not sure what the peak would be.

In championship form.. 2009

It will be 6 years in september 2015 since Engleben has moved under his own power, but with ugrades from front to back, in almost every possible place, i am excited about the adventures we have yet to have, and love remembering all the ones we have had. He is getting close!

stay tuned

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

only 1 thing to say.............KOOL )

Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome story. Keep posting!!

Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thank you both.. will do. Hoping to get some of the wiring done this weekend...

Old 06-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story and great looking car! Awesome history, great family activity. Also nice to see one not turned into a GTO clone, the LeMans are great cars on their own. Keep updating.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When i was young, i always wanted GTO's... I remember growing up, we would have 4-8 GTO's at any given time at the house.. more than i can remember them all.. so when i got to driving age, it was only natural. As i've gotten older, i have kind've fallen in love with the fact that its not a GTO. I kind've think the less popular model and color are a perfect fit for my personality... It has been great to be able to share the racing and the work on it with my family.. My dad was always there to help me, but even my mom would come out and pitch in sometimes. One time on mother's day, the local track had a Powder Puff race and my mom entered in it with engleben and won her only race. Her only son screwed up and had a bad light in the final and had to settle for a runner/up that day.. But awesome moments like that never leave you. The day i won my first wally ( pictured above ) i lost another wally in sportsman by .007 then regrouped, went 3 more rounds in Pro to win one.. and along the way, i beat some big hitters, in all out racecars, even a dragster in there. The best feeling in the world was driving that car that i cleaned house in that day home that night with a check and a wally and tunes on the old am radio. Ive always been proud that it's stayed a street car and i get to enjoy it in so many different ways. I felt like John Milner in the last scene of More American Graffiti driving off in the coupe after beating the factory. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Real cool, I drive my 70 Lemans sport because I had one in high school. This one is way faster, stops better, more comfortable. I had so many memories in that car. People ask me all the time if I will clone it, I say no way. I like the chrome bumpers and riding in the past!!!

Old 06-18-2015, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice read! Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-19-2015, 04:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very cool!!!

Old 02-09-2018, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

update.. we had a had some really good results at the race track since I started this thread. We are at the point to where we need a roll bar, now going in the 7.20's in the 1.8th mile. we have had a number of class wins, and had a lot of compliments along the way. The car lost oil pressure the last weekend of the 2017 season with a buddy driving. A few weeks prior we had broke a harmonic balancer. the crank appeared fine so we through another balancer on and went to run the bracket finals at INDY. the following weekend my buddy drove it to the final round where it lost pressure.. my guess is the balancer failure allowed damage to the main bearings..

https://pix.sfly.com/HpwFOG

https://pix.sfly.com/F2w1-T

https://pix.sfly.com/msNRWO

Old 02-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

It was fall of 1965, and our family was going to buy our first new car, a Pontiac Tempest. We drove down to Tom Connolly Pontiac on the Auto Mile (Route 1 in Mass.) On the lot was a Aqua green 4 door Tempest with a green interior, Power Steering, Radio, Heater, Whitewall tires and full wheel covers. It had a 326 c.i. V-8 and a 2 speed automatic....we drove it off the lot for $2,400......my mother drove it every day from 1965 thru 1986.......200,000 miles on the original drivetrain.

But, that is not the best part of the story. While my folks were negotiating on the Tempest, my best friend Bob and I were in the showroom. There in the middle of the showroom was a 1965 GTO convertible, Red with a white top and interior, 4 speed, buckets, and Tri Power.....WOW, it was an absolute stunner! The sticker price was over $4,000....a totally loaded car. Too bad we didn't but the GTO instead......

Old 02-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Great story.