Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Paint/Body Shop in Phoenix, AZ area for '64 GP

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good auto body/paint shop in the Phoenix, AZ area for my '64 Grand Prix?

I'm going to be working this winter and spring getting the car ready and I'm planning on taking my car to a shop by the beginning of summer 2018. I've heard many horror stories about paint and body work "jails" while restoring old cars and would like to avoid the trouble.

I'm starting to look into possible auto body/paint shops. The body work will be minimal...removing a few small dents and very small rust repair on the front fenders. I'm not building a $150k show car, but I'm not looking for a $500 Maaco paint job either. After the body work and prep, the car will need to be completely painted.

Thank you!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck. Most body shops wont deal with restorations. The restoration shops are a total gamble. I once sent a car to a restoration shop for some work and after a few weeks I got a call from a junk yard across town saying they had my car. The resto shop went out of business and my car ended up at the junkyard. Thank God the junkyard owner was honest. He found my # on and old receipt he found in the glove box. Be very careful when picking a resto shop.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyer View Post
Good luck. Most body shops wont deal with restorations. The restoration shops are a total gamble. I once sent a car to a restoration shop for some work and after a few weeks I got a call from a junk yard across town saying they had my car. The resto shop went out of business and my car ended up at the junkyard. Thank God the junkyard owner was honest. He found my # on and old receipt he found in the glove box. Be very careful when picking a resto shop.
Thank you, Bruce. I wouldn't want to use a regular body shop anyway, as I've heard they're only concerned about doing modern car repairs and getting them in, painted and out as fast as possible. I'm definitely looking for a restoration shop/paint shop that works on older cars.

It's stories like yours that made me want to reach out to see if anyone local on this forum has any recommendations. Stories like yours scares me and are all too common. I know of a few shops where friends have taken cars, but very few of them would recommend any of them. I do have one in mind which has been great to a friend so far in the work they have done, but he's just getting his '58 GMC into their paint shop now. I wanted to see how they did with my friend's classic truck before I reached out to them.

If anyone else has any recommendations in the Phoenix-area, I would appreciate it.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Hello,
I live in Mesa and I have a 1978 Y88 Trans Am that is getting work done at Zane's Rod and Custom http://www.zanesrodandcustom.com (62 S Center St, Mesa, AZ 85210). I found them by going to the O'Reilly Auto Parts distribution store close to my home. I thought that since they are in regular contact with most of the local repair shops they would know which ones are doing good business. The guys were able to recommend a few shops that they liked and I went around to check them out.

Since you are more interested in paint I would recommend talking to the guys at Space Age Paint http:// www.spaceagepaint.com (707 S Country Club Dr, Mesa, AZ 85210). They were sponsors of the recent Pontiac Heaven Event. They might have some good recommendations.

Feel free to drop by Zane's and look at my Trans Am. All of the body work is finished (there were a few rust spots on my Arizona car) and most of the paint work is done. They should be able tell you exactly where they worked and you can judge the results for yourself.

When I do a Google search on Zane's I see some negative reviews. I suppose that is just the nature of having a business in this Internet age. I've been happy with the staff, their friendliness and knowledge of classic cars. I will say that I am a very patient man. I check in usually once a week and I occasionally bribe some of the staff with fast food gift cards when they make a major milestone.

Usually the best day to catch Zane at the shop is Friday. Let me know if you need any other details.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTownCharlie View Post
Hello,
I live in Mesa and I have a 1978 Y88 Trans Am that is getting work done at Zane's Rod and Custom http://www.zanesrodandcustom.com (62 S Center St, Mesa, AZ 85210). I found them by going to the O'Reilly Auto Parts distribution store close to my home. I thought that since they are in regular contact with most of the local repair shops they would know which ones are doing good business. The guys were able to recommend a few shops that they liked and I went around to check them out.

Since you are more interested in paint I would recommend talking to the guys at Space Age Paint http:// www.spaceagepaint.com (707 S Country Club Dr, Mesa, AZ 85210). They were sponsors of the recent Pontiac Heaven Event. They might have some good recommendations.

Feel free to drop by Zane's and look at my Trans Am. All of the body work is finished (there were a few rust spots on my Arizona car) and most of the paint work is done. They should be able tell you exactly where they worked and you can judge the results for yourself.

When I do a Google search on Zane's I see some negative reviews. I suppose that is just the nature of having a business in this Internet age. I've been happy with the staff, their friendliness and knowledge of classic cars. I will say that I am a very patient man. I check in usually once a week and I occasionally bribe some of the staff with fast food gift cards when they make a major milestone.

Usually the best day to catch Zane at the shop is Friday. Let me know if you need any other details.
Thank you for the info, TacoTownCharlie. I'll check out their shop in the spring when I'm getting ready to make a decision. I'll speak to Space Age too. I've been in there for paint before and that's a good idea to see if they have any other recommendations.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's funny you mention Maaco. They have so so shops and I know of one that does a great job. My 68 Bird was done at the one on I-17 and Deer Valley Rd and people are constantly in disbelief as to who painted it. Turnaround time was good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141024_004.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	470100   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5328.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	470101  

Old 12-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

Wow! That is a great looking paint job...at least what I can tell in your photos. I guess it all depends on the prep and the quality of who's doing the painting. I've seen several Maaco or places like that paint cars, and the paint looks like what you think a $500 paint job would look like.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took all the trim off and the car was pretty straight to begins with. They have an excellent painter and I couldn't be happier. My 69 TransAm is next. The car was at the shop maybe 2 months. Maaco does paint jobs that cost $500 and that's what you get, but this shop will work within your budget and be honest about what your dollar will buy.