Old 05-31-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default installing chrome pedal trim

Hi all,

Has anyone installed the chrome pedal trim with the pedals installed? The chrome has metal tabs that need to be bent around the rubber/pedal to keep them in place. The tabs are fairly thick and won't bend by hand. Tried using pliers but already scratched one of the new trim pieces (through a rag) trying to bend the tab with the pliers.

Do the pedals need to come out of the car to install these correctly? Or is there a good technique for applying enough force to these?

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2020, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took mine off the car and did it on the bench so I could get around it easier. I wrapped the trim and a pair of vice grips in tape and started the bends on the trim before putting it on the pedal.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just did a brake pedal (auto) on a fullsize car that can't be removed without dropping the column support bracket. What I did was to slide the molding in place and partially bend the tabs by hand just from behind. To complete the bending without scratching or deforming the front of the moldings I cut a piece of two by four just the right length to have it span the distance from the back of the pedal to the firewall-floor area. Then I took a small two by four piece and laid it against the front of the part of the molding (not against the rubber pad itself) of the tab I was going to flatten. Then I simply pushed my foot against all this and the tab folded perfectly with no deformation are scratching on the front. I did this for each tab.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)