THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Classic insurance ?

For my 79 Bonneville,Hagerty or American Collectors Insurance .
Got a quote from Hagerty for $208 yr and ACI for $154 yr.
Only reason i'm thinking Hagerty is because they are affiliated with Esurance,which I have for my T/A..

Old 06-25-2020, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hagerty has been very flexible with me on different projects that were not yet finished. Even insured one while I was trailering it home.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 06-25-2020, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They’ve been good to me

Old 06-25-2020, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know some don't care, but you get a lot of extras with Hagerty. A very professional magazine, informative podcasts, their valuation tool, etc. They really cater to the hobby.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-25-2020, 10:44 PM
Suspended

FYI: Grundy quoted me $308.00 for a 2002 Collector Edition T/A convertible with 2500 miles on it at a $35k value.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as I know Hagerty is the only company that will insure a car that isn't road worthy. I have two project cars insured with them. $3,500.00 coverage for each vehicle costs me $20.00 a year. These are the two projects that are insured with them. I also have my 67 GTO insured with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	543328   Click image for larger version

Name:	front 1a.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	543329  

Old 06-26-2020, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
As far as I know Hagerty is the only company that will insure a car that isn't road worthy. I have two project cars insured with them. $3,500.00 coverage for each vehicle costs me $20.00 a year. These are the two projects that are insured with them. I also have my 67 GTO insured with them.
When my car was in the shop being restored, it was insured with them. As work progressed, each time I wrote a check, we raised the agreed value. So - I was protected if the shop burned down or something.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hagerty has a restoration policy out on my Tempest right now. I have sent them pictures on the car in it’s current condition and just a spoken agreement of how much I have spent so far and how much I plan to have in it total (about 60 Grand) and they have the restoration policy premium at 567 a year. The only stipulation is that I have to have the car and parts in a locked garage which is a no brainer. A year and two months after starting the policy someone had a crime spree in my neighborhood and broke into a few garages, mine being one of them. Several boxes of parts were stolen and while the boxes were labeled I didn’t know which boxes were missing cause they weren’t inventoried like that. The only thing I knew for sure was some of the pieces I had bought from Butler were missing and that some irreplaceable parts that I would have to find off a parts car. I knew where a parts car was because I had cut the tail panel off of it when I had my quarter panels done. Hagerty asked me to find out how much I could buy the rest of the whole care for. He said 3000, they didn’t balk, they then asked me how much other parts I thought I was missing and I told them I don’t know about 1500-2000 dollars. They sent me a check for 6200 just “in case” I missed something with me providing nothing but a police report that only listed miscellaneous items. Good enough for me

Old 06-26-2020, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s not all roses - I did have to fight them to get paid when I had a claim once. If I held a grudge against every insurance company that has tried to rip me off, I’d be shopping for insurance constantly.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had one claim with hagerty about a year ago,,mice chewed a hole in the headliner and it was 1k to get a headliner and sail panels bought and installed. Sent them a pic of the damage,,a few weeks later i got a check in the mail. My premiums seem very reasonable. Cant respond on any of the other companies since I have no experience with them. I looked over hagertys policies and what you get before signing up and it looked to me to be pretty good....in ways seemed better than others as far as written policies..

Old 06-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had American Collectors for over 30 years for 3 different cars and have been more than happy. The best way to tell how good (not how cheap) they are is to put in a claim. I had an accident on the HOT ROD Power Tour some years ago and they paid me over $9,000 with no problem at all. The adjuster came out looked at the car and my estimate and said the only problem he would have would be finding parts. I said not a problem I could get all the parts needed. He said send him a price for the parts and he would add it to the labor quote and send me a check. Like I said "no problem".

Old 06-26-2020, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I removed a bunch of off-topic posts. The question was whether to go with Hagerty or American Collectors, she wasn't asking for the usual people to have the same argument with each other that they have every time the topic of insurance comes up.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used Hagerty for over a decade...four cars and a very expensive ongoing project, and no complaints. I’ve compared costs with some of the other companies mentioned, but each seems to have different requirements, and in the end, although Hagerty tends to be a little more expensive than some of the others, I feel line it’s a good value for me, plus I love the magazine!!!

Old 06-26-2020, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdcrazy1959 View Post
For my 79 Bonneville,Hagerty or American Collectors Insurance .
Got a quote from Hagerty for $208 yr and ACI for $154 yr.
Only reason i'm thinking Hagerty is because they are affiliated with Esurance,which I have for my T/A..
I'm curious why you have your T/A with Esurance??? Do you daily drive the T/A?

Assuming you don't use either of your T/A's as your daily driver, it would make the most sense to have all your toy cars on one policy.

Why? Because at least with Hagerty, you only pay liability on the first car. The rest are only charged for comp and collision.

Secondly, I know what Hagerty's usage restrictions are. ACI on their website has mileage limits per year (different tier levels to pick from) and mentions "occasional general use", but doesn't define it.

Hagerty is unlimited mileage and is upfront about usage. This is right from their website:

Quote:
Flexible usage
Classic and collector cars were made to be driven. Whether you’re going to a show or just taking a cruise to the ice cream shop, you’re protected. If you have specific questions about your car or usage, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We spend a lot of time and money on these cars. We shouldn't always go with the low bidder - you usually get what you pay for.

Last edited by The Champ; 06-26-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I'm curious why you have your T/A with Esurance??? Do you daily drive the T/A?

Assuming you don't use either of your T/A's as your daily driver, it would make the most sense to have all your toy cars on one policy.

Why? Because at least with Hagerty, you only pay liability on the first car. The rest are only charged for comp and collision.

Secondly, I know what Hagerty's usage restrictions are. ACI on their website has mileage limits per year (different tier levels to pick from) and mentions "occasional general use", but doesn't define it.

Hagerty is unlimited mileage and is upfront about usage. This is right from their website:

We spend a lot of time and money on these cars. We shouldn't always go with the low bidder - you usually get what you pay for.
yes the 81 is a daily driver...

Old 06-26-2020, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
When I restored my 72 T/A, I went to drop the insurance since it was going to be apart for a while and my ins co, (Condon and Skelley) told me to keep the insurance just in case any parts or anything got stolen. They lowered the value temporarily until I finished it. I have never had a claim with them going on 18 years now so I can't speak for that except a friend of mine totaled his 69 Z28 and they just cut him a check, Same Ins Co. as me.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't base you decision on whether to go with Company A vs. Company B solely on the annual premiums. Read the fine print of what each company will and will not cover, and usage restrictions, etc.

It has been a little while since I did some digging, but when I did, I found Hagerty to be the preferred choice, which is why I went with them. Plus, the Hagerty Drivers Club magazine and other perks they provide are excellent. They are good people (how often does one say that about an auto insurance company?).

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have found that Horsepower Really affects premium more than the cars rarity, etc. 2 identical cars except one is a 400, other a 455 can mean 75 bucks in premium costs. Just an observation..

Old 06-26-2020, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Have found that Horsepower Really affects premium more than the cars rarity, etc. 2 identical cars except one is a 400, other a 455 can mean 75 bucks in premium costs. Just an observation..
It's hard to imagine that playing a very big factor with classic auto insurers, though. Companies like Hagerty and American Collectors likely base their premiums mostly on market value and total loss figures, and not so much risk assessment associated with horsepower or engine displacement.

I could see the larger displacement cars having a higher market value and thus impacting premiums that way. But since classic cars are typically a very low risk item to insure, power/displacement alone seems like it would be less of a factor. Whether you have a 400 or 455, these cars are pretty much only used for getting ice cream on Sundays regardless of engine size. This is just my hunch, but it seems most likely.

Engine size absolutely does matter if we're talking about traditional auto insurers and modern daily use vehicles, though.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 06-26-2020, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to hijack this thread but everyone talking about Hagerty's keeps mentioning the magazine. I have been with them since I bought my 67 in 2005 and have never received a magazine. I guess I will have to contact them about it.