THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DID ANYONE NOTICE THIS FAMOUS 67 RACER FOR SALE?

stumbled onto this..not sure its real etc..but seller claims its orig..low miles..orig paint etc..not mine just sharing

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Pontia...wAAOSwgFxe77y0

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

The Following User Says Thank You to marxjunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Cool car! But 40 grand and reserve not met? Also, a bidder already tells me that there is a shill bidder on it. Should be interesting to see where it goes but 40 grand + for a 13 second + car is all the money.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think that car is worth more than 40. I mean it’s a 5500 mile car. These cars sell for over 40 all day (not on this site) when they are restorations

Old 06-27-2020, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been pretty accurate lately playing my little guessing games on various cars like this. So I will try again. I think the car is very nice and un-restored and numbers matching. Also set the record at the time at 12.30 ET according to the rear quarter panel. But I agree the seller is on a fishing expedition to try and find the value. I also think he has an astronomical reserve on it so it won't sell on purpose. I imagine he thinks he has a 6 figure car in his possession and will be unhappy when it stalls at around 55K, well below what he "believes" it's worth. Lets sit back and see. For the record, I like the car very much. I appreciate how he did the race modifications nicely without even cutting up the dash to install switches and gauges.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I have been pretty accurate lately playing my little guessing games on various cars like this. So I will try again. I think the car is very nice and un-restored and numbers matching. Also set the record at the time at 12.30 ET according to the rear quarter panel. But I agree the seller is on a fishing expedition to try and find the value. I also think he has an astronomical reserve on it so it won't sell on purpose. I imagine he thinks he has a 6 figure car in his possession and will be unhappy when it stalls at around 55K, well below what he "believes" it's worth. Lets sit back and see. For the record, I like the car very much. I appreciate how he did the race modifications nicely without even cutting up the dash to install switches and gauges.
An unrestored "original" would certainly be worth north of that. A "modified" race car is not going to do it unless the buyer is punch-drunk infatuated. Fishing? Without a doubt and thinking its a high 5 or a 6 figure car is ludicrous thinking. And to buy it to restore it back to factory original would be a stupid move because of what the car has been all its life.

I too like the car, really like it. Love the color too. I am also a nostalgia racer that would definitely put that back on the track. But I'm also no idiot and will not pay insane money for a car "just" because its a Pontiac.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This will be fun to watch play out, and you could be 100% right. Along your line of thinking that may prove me wrong was the GeeTo Tiger replica that went to auction not that long ago. It was a replica, true enough, but very well done and a beautiful car. It was a runner too, as I saw it run many times and looked it over. At auction, it brought next to nothing compared to what it cost to build. And it was a GTO and barely brought fair condition GTO money. So this will be interesting.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the car, and I love the color. But why was the engine 'totally gone through' if the car has 5500 miles on it? And having it changed to an automatic after it's glory days is a no-no, IMO. Also odd that the driver's seat welting is worn through with that kind of low mileage. 40 years ago when I started buying these cars, that welt normally was the first thing to go, but pretty much only if the car had over 100,000 miles on the clock. I agree it's probably worth 30's, maybe high 30's in today's market, but no more than that. Still, I love the car.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I love the car, and I love the color. But why was the engine 'totally gone through' if the car has 5500 miles on it? And having it changed to an automatic after it's glory days is a no-no, IMO. Also odd that the driver's seat welting is worn through with that kind of low mileage. 40 years ago when I started buying these cars, that welt normally was the first thing to go, but pretty much only if the car had over 100,000 miles on the clock. I agree it's probably worth 30's, maybe high 30's in today's market, but no more than that. Still, I love the car.
If my math is correct, that's 22,000 passes. Get into any vehicle 22,000 times and you will find a fair amount of wear. Likewise, max out and pound on any engine 22,000 times, you will be rebuilding it many times. Honestly, I find it difficult to believe this car still has the original block. I knew one guy that raced a '64 and that engine was rebuilt 3 times in 2 seasons and lost its original engine by the time the car was 4 years old.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I made a trip to Minnesota to see this car back in the late 80's. The owner at the time had obtained it from the original family. (Murname). It is EXACTLY how it is described. One thing they didn't mention is that it is a factory seam sealer delete and insulation car. As noted on the billing card. The protect o plate shows it was an original WS car, but it had been upgraded to the XS (Ram Air) engine shortly after new. It was the D Stock National record holder back in the late 60's. That owner also told me that it was changed to an automatic at that time, not in the 80's. It sounded wicked! He had it stored in an enclosed carport with black plastic over the windows to keep the sun from breaking anything down.

It tried to buy it but the owner didn't want to sell it at that time. He did call me sometime in the mid 90's and was ready to sell but I wasn't able to buy it. Wish I had been able to, it's a fabulous car.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry H. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

22,000 passes? I'm surprised that there would be anything left of an old A body after that.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:28 PM

"...for a 13 second + car"
Does it not say Record Holder at 12.31 on the car or do my eyes deceive me? D/S. Impressive for the day. Not saying anything about the value but just getting the facts straight.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:28 PM
Senior Chief

Round trip, drag racing is over 1 mile per pass. “Quarter mile at a time” doesn’t account for shutdown, driving that entire distance back to your pit, etc. As far as a 53 year old engine needing new seals and whatever else wasn’t mentioned, who knows. Cool car regardless.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
22,000 passes? I'm surprised that there would be anything left of an old A body after that.
If you have ever been to Cayuga, Niagara, Lancaster or Empire back in the day there was a black guy nicknamed Teach (because he is a teacher) that raced a black '66 GTO with multi-color side panels. Teach was the original owner of that car. The black paint was original. Teach raced that "A body" up until a few years ago when he totaled it hitting the wall. Prior to that, other than the quarter panels had some significant warpage from all the years of racing with a stick and then an automatic with a tranny brake and a BBC, the car held up very well. When they are race cars their whole life as long as they don't hit a wall there is not much reason for them not to hold up.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
"...for a 13 second + car"
Does it not say Record Holder at 12.31 on the car or do my eyes deceive me? D/S. Impressive for the day. Not saying anything about the value but just getting the facts straight.
I was going on a "stock" car, not one with an engine swap.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There aren’t too many 5,500 mile survivors around. I like it - except for Those center-dash-gauges. Particularly that cheapo auto parts store temp one.

I’d have to put a manual back in it if I bought it.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:15 AM

Yes - that center-dash temp gauge needs to be a Stewart-Warner version.
What is the gauge in the spot where the radio normally mounts? The upper gauges are oil pressure, the cheapo water temp, and an ammeter. What would the switches and warning lights be for?

This car is briefly mentioned in Peter McCarthy's book from the late 80s.
Interestingly enough, my 68 H/O was sold new (well - 3/69) in Minnesota. When I tracked down the original owner (mid-90s), he did race the Olds - but I mentioned that I was a Pontiac guy and he specifically remembered a GTO named "LIMELIGHTER" - I think he might have raced him (in practice). My Olds has idiot lights so I am finally (just did 2 today) getting around to installing some S-W gauges. I've got a mechanical oil pressure gauge and mechanical water temp; I've got a vintage Sun tach, a trans temp gauge and a vacuum gauge still to go in.
I wish I could figure out where I could mount gauges on my 69 GP.
(Sorry for the digression. Basically - my Olds might have raced this car at least once, around 50 (!) years ago.)

Old 06-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegpho View Post
Yes - that center-dash temp gauge needs to be a Stewart-Warner version.
What is the gauge in the spot where the radio normally mounts? The upper gauges are oil pressure, the cheapo water temp, and an ammeter. What would the switches and warning lights be for?
The upper center gauge is a much more modern one, probably replaced due to a failure. I agree, it should have been replaced with a S-W, especially when they are available.

The gauge in the radio delete plate is fuel pressure. Positively will not pass tech today if it is functionable. The switches will be for the fuel pumps and the lights are indicator lamps to tell the driver the pump or pumps are on.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
The gauge in the radio delete plate is fuel pressure. Positively will not pass tech today if it is functionable.
Nonsense. Add an isolator and it'll pass even the toughest of tech inspection.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Nonsense. Add an isolator and it'll pass even the toughest of tech inspection.
Yup, had a gauge inside my car for years, with an isolator. No problem.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked on many race cars, mostly Pontiac and Chevys. The biggest problem I seemed to see was guys who wanted a "Ammeter " in drag car. Many knew little about wiring Hi amp items, and many harness fires, or "cooking" occurred. All that with NO electric fans.