Old 07-02-2020, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default need route info for reverse lock out wire

working on my 72 and i am running some of the wiring for the car , not sure how the reverse lock out wire runs . i now how it starts at the switch , but lost after that

Old 07-02-2020, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

also need to know which hole does the tach wiring go thru

Old 07-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Reverse lockout wire? There is a mechanical linkage that goes from the base of the steering column to the transmission.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dens71TA View Post
Reverse lockout wire? There is a mechanical linkage that goes from the base of the steering column to the transmission.
sorry i meant the neutral safety switch

Old 07-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you need an assy manual...its a great investment, and you would get instant answers to your needs

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-03-2020, 12:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
sorry i meant the neutral safety switch
Your car is an automatic, The neutral safety switch is on the steering column, on the top behind the gauges and support. It is actuated, like the reverse light, with the back drive linkage which goes from the trans, to the frame and up to the column. This wiring is part of the dash harness.
Tach wire goes through a big hole by the fuse box, and has a boot with a nose on it to keep water out.
Grommet has a slice in it, which should face downward. Hole in Grommet is big enough for 10 wires , but thats whats used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tach wire hole.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	544122  

Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
you need an assy manual...its a great investment, and you would get instant answers to your needs
i suggested that quite a while ago for his 80 t/a. no reason not to get a manual when restoring or working on any car, unless you are very familiar with them or took it apart yourself with pics & bagged/labeled parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 06:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i suggested that quite a while ago for his 80 t/a. no reason not to get a manual when restoring or working on any car, unless you are very familiar with them or took it apart yourself with pics & bagged/labeled parts.
That means I will not be talking to you guys very often that’s not going to be fun
I like the input and photos that the guys here give out, plus the manual sometimes is not very clear on some items , but I guess I better get them

Old 07-04-2020, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
That means I will not be talking to you guys very often that’s not going to be fun
I like the input and photos that the guys here give out, plus the manual sometimes is not very clear on some items , but I guess I better get them
just a suggestion, a manual is usually very clear & explains or shows diagrams for almost everything you ask about or would run into. nothing wrong with posting some questions but forums can give lots of opinions that may not always be accurate or the correct way to do something.

just saying that if youre not familiar with these cars, a manual has all the info you need. even a cheap chiltons paper back one can be a huge help but a GM one is excellent even if just for things like torque specs etc.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
just a suggestion, a manual is usually very clear & explains or shows diagrams for almost everything you ask about or would run into. nothing wrong with posting some questions but forums can give lots of opinions that may not always be accurate or the correct way to do something.

just saying that if youre not familiar with these cars, a manual has all the info you need. even a cheap chiltons paper back one can be a huge help but a GM one is excellent even if just for things like torque specs etc.
Yes I agree it time for to. Buy one