THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:31 AM

On the other side of this, I recently sold a Pontiac Quadrajet on eBay (had it posted here in the classifieds, but no takers). I clearly listed it as a core, it came in a box of parts I had, I never used it or installed it, etc. I took like 8 excellent pictures of it for the listing.
Buyer paid me $50 for it, then left negative feedback for me stating “inlet was helicoiled and I should have listed that”. My bad I guess, I looked back at my pictures and saw that I had the inlet nut screwed on and am not sure I ever really looked at the threads. I offered to give him $10 back.....never heard from buyer again
It was a core.......

Old 06-24-2020, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hardtop View Post
On the other side of this, I recently sold a Pontiac Quadrajet on eBay (had it posted here in the classifieds, but no takers). I clearly listed it as a core, it came in a box of parts I had, I never used it or installed it, etc. I took like 8 excellent pictures of it for the listing.
Buyer paid me $50 for it, then left negative feedback for me stating “inlet was helicoiled and I should have listed that”. My bad I guess, I looked back at my pictures and saw that I had the inlet nut screwed on and am not sure I ever really looked at the threads. I offered to give him $10 back.....never heard from buyer again
It was a core.......
Some people want perfection for little money no matter how its listed. Your listing spelled it out in the git go, "CORE", end of story. You did nothing wrong.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a carb off a member here that was all frozen and he tried to swap out rusty parts and broke off staked screws. The choke was even snapped off. Throttle plate and air horn was junk. I haven’t seen him on in a while, deff was stored out side in the elements. Nothing like getting $200 for a junk carb. but I heard he just got a new name, he screwed me for around $200. And wouldn’t refund my money.
Reading here, A core is rebuildable. I can’t melt it down and make a new one. Listing should say scrap, not core.
Another reason i usually sell only nos. New is new.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱

Last edited by burd; 06-24-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing how many people sell damaged parts without saying anything. I would point it out.
If near NW Indiana, come pick up a free 'real crusty' 140 if interested. So bad can hardly read casting and firing order #'s. Be great for modifying.
Also throw in a free pair of the crustiest #16 I've heads ever seen. Save me time taking to scrap yard...

Or if must have a clean 068 casting, have one along with another 140 been sitting on top of wood stove since round 1990 for heat conductors.
Both are mildly port matched and have no heat and coolant x-overs. Still have original coolant x-overs somewhere...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-24-2020, 12:15 PM
Suspended

This is why I will not deal with used heads or blocks. People want to pay $300.00 (or less) for a block and want it guaranteed. If anyone wants a guarantee on blocks or heads they need to pay for magnafluxing plus time and gas. Which they won't.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:56 PM

I looked up a couple of definitions.

Fraud: takes place when a person deliberately practices deception in order to gain something unlawfully or unfairly. In most states, the act of fraud can be classified as either a civil or a criminal wrong.

Civil fraud: In civil litigation, allegations of fraud might be based on a misrepresentation of fact that was either intentional or negligent. For a statement to be an intentional misrepresentation, the person who made it must either have known the statement was false or been reckless as to its truth. The speaker must have also intended that the person to whom the statement was made would rely on it.

Lies of omission: A lie of omission is an intentional failure to tell the truth in a situation requiring disclosure. An example could be a seller's failure to note a known defect on a real estate disclosure form.

Now the next question : How much is a seller required to disclose "in the art of the deal" ?

Sometimes it is a lot. Sometimes is it "buyer beware"? If you buy a car that has been "totaled" it has to have a salvage title to show it was totaled. If you buy a house many times you must make a total disclosure, How much do you have to tell selling auto parts? If you know something is wrong and you conceal it from the buyer is this fraud? Where do you draw the line legally or ethically? Nothing is perfect.

The seller in my case clearly knew there was defect in the part. I didn't even have to explain it to him. His answer was that it is a 50 year old part and what do you expect. There are 50 year old parts that are in good usable condition and then there are 50 year old parts that are damaged and made to look like they are in good usable condition. Fraud? Deception?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same here Chief.
Sold the 68 block the same 16 heads and 140 intake mentioned for the price of the crank cause found it sitting behind a barn guessing 20-30 yrs.
Saved it from the scrap yard. Didn't need it since had 2 spare running engines.
Rotating asm frozen SOLID and freeze plugs rusted away. Least the mains looked good and hardly any ridges top of cylinders.
Also stuck with a 78 X7 long block sitting in corner since 1980-81? Bought complete engine/trans from a totaled 1100 mile TA to use while building a 455 street/strip motor. Didn't notice the block #'s where punched out until installing it. Only used about 10k miles.

Traveler, see my post above?
Can it be repaired to function and look original?
You need an untouched 068, or just a good 68-70?

Old 06-24-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Same here Chief.
Sold the 68 block the same 16 heads and 140 intake mentioned for the price of the crank cause found it sitting behind a barn guessing 20-30 yrs.
Saved it from the scrap yard. Didn't need it since had 2 spare running engines.
Rotating asm frozen SOLID and freeze plugs rusted away. Least the mains looked good and hardly any ridges top of cylinders.
Also stuck with a 78 X7 long block sitting in corner since 1980-81? Bought complete engine/trans from a totaled 1100 mile TA to use while building a 455 street/strip motor. Didn't notice the block #'s where punched out until installing it. Only used about 10k miles.

Traveler, see my post above?
Can it be repaired to function and look original?
You need an untouched 068, or just a good 68-70?
I've got two projects going. I am trying to upgrade my 389 2 brl in the "65 Catalina. I want to build a "poor mans" 2+2. Install an 068 cam, 4 brl Q-jet, long branch manifolds. I also have a 3.23 posi and a continental converter for it. I am currently looking for bigger chamber heads to lower my compression. The other project is a 428 block, 455 crank, '70 #15 heads. I am slowly gathering parts for this. The 068 manifold was close and cheap, so I bought it. Finding Pontiac parts here on the central coast of California is hard. I usually drive to San Francisco, Sacramento, the central valley, even to Reno a couple of times. Finding parts close is hard to pass up. Shipping is a killer on heavy parts. Thanks for the offer.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

K, understand your situation better now.
I shipped a complete all original #s matching tri-pwr years ago. Carbs, linkage, air cleaners, stat hsg, etc separated from manifold.
Packaging weighed half as much as the intake itself. Sweated bullets till buyer said received in good shape.

428-455-15s sounds cool. Same chamber and runners as 64's. Can put in 2.11 intake valves.
There's got to be others round you with extras. I had five sitting here since the 90's.
If change mind on the crusty 140, let me know. Just pay shipping.
Good luck on your quest.

Last edited by Region Warrior; 06-24-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
K, understand your situation better now.
I shipped a complete all original #s matching tri-pwr years ago. Carbs, linkage, air cleaners, stat hsg, etc separated from manifold.
Packaging weighed half as much as the intake itself. Sweated bullets till buyer said received in good shape.

428-455-15s sounds cool. Same chamber and runners as 64's. Can put in 2.11 intake valves.
There's got to be others round you with extras. I had five sitting here since the 90's.
If change mind on the crusty 140, let me know. Just pay shipping.
Good luck on your quest.
California sent a lot of cars to the crusher for environmental reasons. This really impacted the car hobby. Do to the weather, seems the western US has the sheet metal and the east has the heavy parts. People have parts here but they tend to hoard them. The BOP cars don't have the after market support like Mustangs and Chevys. You usually end up with somebody's used parts. Then the fun starts.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Use the Water Log for the datecode and nice casting. Separate with hacksaw. Buy another manifold.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the $100 meant so much to you, you should have inspected it closely before you paid him. A repair like that would have been pretty easy to find on close inspection. Chalk it up to experience.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-25-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
If the $100 meant so much to you, you should have inspected it closely before you paid him. A repair like that would have been pretty easy to find on close inspection. Chalk it up to experience.
Whomever welded it up did a pretty good job of disguising it. The seller knew I would not probably notice. The pieces were butted up tight. Looked like a heavy scratch or gouge. The break was not visible from the other side. The weld was blended in and painted. The guy knew I would probably miss it , he probably missed it too. It was all cosmetic and tricky to see. The important part is that the seller knew it was there and failed to disclose it. Legally it is called a lie of omission. You know something is wrong and fail to tell the buyer, it is the same as lying. When I texted him he automatically knew what it was about, I didn't have to explain. He knew if he told me or anybody it was there they would not buy the part. He was trying to represent the part as usable when it wasn't. It would be totally different if he told me and I bought the part. Then it is on me. Some people will buy a rare or valuable part to restore even if it is broken. A local machine shop was welding up a V-12 Ferrari engine block to keep a car numbers matching. This is not the case. This was fraud plain and simple, an effort to deceive me. The guy knows it is a worthless piece of junk and belongs in the scrap bin. That is probably where he found it. It is also why he won't return my money. You ought to hear his bogus excuses. It is a 50 year old part and this is to be expected. I am not a business so I don't have to return your money. Huh??

Old 06-25-2020, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The seller knew I would not probably notice.
And how do you know this?

Old 06-25-2020, 10:35 PM

The part was rusty and covered with dirt. The crack like defect at first looked superficial until I bead blasted it Then I had to look two or three times until I realized what it was. Like I said whomever welded it did a good job of hiding the repair. If it was on a car you would never see it. If it was a lousy weld I would of seen It right away. You really had to look. I contacted him the next day after I found it. I'm not perfect, I know. Got cataracts in both eyes too. Let's play hide and seek for $100.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The part was rusty and covered with dirt.
So this could have been welded before the seller was even born yet he is the one that is suppose to know?

Old 06-25-2020, 10:43 PM

I'd also like to add that cracks are hard to find with visual inspection. That is why you use mag particle or liquid penetrant.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:46 PM

Chief, he knew. He knew it was there when I called him. He told me that is to be expected on 50 year old parts. He didn't deny it was there.

Last edited by Traveler; 06-25-2020 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:59 PM

don't think he welded it. That part was welded long ago and wasn't used. There was no corrosion around the thermostat housing and very little in the water passage.. That it looked unused or used very little leads me to believe it has other issues. Maybe the port flange that was weld is distorted and leaks air. It didn't appear that it had been machined flat. The unknowns are why I wont put it on my car. If it leaks air it could burn a valve. I don't put junk or broken parts on my cars

Last edited by Traveler; 06-25-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:03 PM

I sold a chevy emblem on ebay and the person left me negative feedback saying the picture was better then the part?????? The emblem was 25 and I paid shipping. I always put a description but now I see why people put nothing on their listings. That has been rare but still some people amaze me but it truly is buyer beware.