Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	337652  

Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PB,

Thanks - that's perfect. Love the patina of your motor. Also, that's a great shot of the brake booster vacuum line for Judge273.

Hope you are doing well. Any definition on a paint job?

Regards,

BWB

Old 09-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
HFR - Thanks for your post(s) - this is very timely. I saw your post on the 455HO thread and the picture showing the air cleaner and RQ decal. I assume your picture shows the correct approximate location of the decal within assembly line standards?
As Pat is showing, I placed it in the appropriate area in my other picture. You would not believe the number of incorrectly restored air cleaners.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
PB,

Thanks - that's perfect. Love the patina of your motor. Also, that's a great shot of the brake booster vacuum line for Judge273.

Hope you are doing well. Any definition on a paint job?

Regards,

BWB
Did you notice the 3Q - 71 Packard Wire set?

Very nice touch Pat!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, Need more inspirational engine detail shots.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Battery Day

Well today was battery day. The weather was beautiful and I decided to drive the Yellow Car to work since there would be very few more chances to go topless. After dusting it, wiping it down, cleaning the windshield and transferring my briefcase et cetera, I hopped behind the wheel only to discover that several weeks ago when we did the four car shuffle, the key was left in the on position. Needless to say the battery was totally dead. This is the second battery I have murdered that way - the first being a $300 reproduction battery for the Green Truck.

The Black Car was in need of a new battery also since it came with a 7 year old group 75 Diehard that was too small for the hold down to hold down. I had already purchased a R89 battery topper, but the project had not moved into rotation yet. I picked up two batteries at Napa and they were kind enough to give pro rated warranty on the dead battery.

I got them home, trimmed off the handles and brackets, de-stickered them and got them installed. The Black Car looks much better with an appropriate looking battery back in place. Here's a few pictures.

BTW - I ended up taking the Black Car to the office. It sure makes the commute a lot more fun.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint???

Well, I am thinking hard about sending the Black Car off for paint. There are a couple of items that trouble me related to this decision. These are the spoiler and the body side molding. Truth be told, I like the spoiler and don't like the body side molding. The problem is of course that the car did not originally come with a spoiler, but it did come with the side molding. Am I crazy? In some respects I think that this is my car and i should do it the way I want. On the other hand, part of me thinks I should keep/return the car to it's as built configuration. I would appreciate hearing viewpoints from a few of the folks on here that are more experienced than me.

Also, I finally got the Black Car on the rack for the first time this evening. It looks really good underneath - better than I looked at 41 years old.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bentwheelbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the spoiler too Bob. Because the side moldings are black too, I don't notice it as much from the pictures. Take 'em off, don't worry about it! You can always reinstall them with 3m double sided tape, they just won't have the factory clips. That's what I'm going to do with mine on my lemans. They take away so much of the body line. I'm sure it will look better in person. Your car, enjoy it! Make it how you want, just be sure to keep the parts you change.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

From a value perspective I don't think it would hurt the car at all to take the moldings off and leave the spoiler on. From an appearance perspective I think it will be improved. JMHO.

As always - your car, your choice.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave the moldings. Part of the uniqueness of the car is the options content, more than any other 72 I've ever seen. The factory bolt on stainless steel moldings are far different than the cheapo stick-ons. I like the spoiler look so that one is a hard decision, there. I vote to keep it.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep the spoiler; keep the body side moldings. I'm not fond of the moldings either, but they don't take away from the looks so much that I would let them bother me. The car speaks for itself as it is and the moldings sort of fade into the sub-conscious after about 1.8 seconds...as the grin begins to form. By the time it is a full-blown smile and the word "Wow" is rising from your throat - they have faded to black.

BJ

Old 10-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm the purist...keep the moldings and remove the spoiler.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Remember too, that those stainless side moldings have around a two dozen holes in total, down the side of the car that the mounting studs go through. That would be not fun to weld up and make nice for a black paint job. I think the car has just the right amount of chrome/stainless on it.

The added bonus is that the body side moldings actually protect the car in its most vulnerable area: the body line.

The only I would not put back on are the vertical door edge moldings that were ordered on the car. Those things are impossible to reinstall without chipping the paint.

(BTW, the Seller's Remorse Light is now illuminated)

:-)

Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, keep the spoiler and dump the moldings...IMHO... Package on the way.......

Old 10-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Remember too, that those stainless side moldings have around a two dozen holes in total, down the side of the car that the mounting studs go through.

I am pretty sure the "nails" are CD welded on and can just be ground off to the parent metal. At least that is how the ones on my Nova were as well as all the other GM cars that I have seen from that era....and that is a whole bunch....

Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

has the car been painted? if so, then repaint it and do it however you like it. if it has original paint (except for adding the spoiler) I wouldn't touch it.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
I think the car has just the right amount of chrome/stainless on it.

The added bonus is that the body side moldings actually protect the car in its most vulnerable area: the body line.

BTW - the Seller's Remorse Light is now illuminated)

Steve - if you really start getting lonely, let me know. I'll send you an old gas tank, springs, and a 7 year old battery...Just kidding ;-) I'm loving the car - it starts right up and runs great. No squeaks, rattles or drama. It seems to be happy...

On the body side moldings, what's the best replacement option? I know you mentioned the moldings in a few posts, and even bought repop clips, but I am not sure who has the best replacement moldings, or what the best option is in this regard.

So far the vote tally has been a bit surprising. Sort of like the last election. I was suspecting that the spoiler would get the ax, but a majority say they prefer the spoiler look. Similarly, the body side moldings are getting a positive vote, but by a smaller margin. Here's the tally:

Old 10-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm from Chicago so my vote counts 25 times so that changes things a bit

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The moldngs are stainless and any dings can be easily polished out. I think there was only one small area of the black rub strip missing on the pass door piece. The endura repair material would be perfect for fixing the small section.

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The moldings don't look good. You can be assured the original designers didn't like them, either -- they sweated for hours, and probably days, on the execution of that character line and wouldn't have wanted it hidden by a molding. The moldings were a practical concession to the parking lot wars. Relevant when the car was new and a daily driver, but not so important now. If I were painting the car, I'd store them in a box for the next owner.

The spoiler would go if it were mine, too.

But it's your car, your call, of course

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue