Old 03-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To clarify any confusion there are two Johnson Lifter companies, Johnson Lifter and Hy-Lift Johnson. Hy-Lift Johnson is the one you want and they make the superior lifter in fact the only HFT lifter I would ever use. I was a Hy-Lift Johnson distributor when I had Tomahawk Performance Products. Based on conversations I had with Dave Popp at Hy-Lift Johnson I was told their 951 is a stock replacement lifter and recommended for factory cams with spring pressures with a max of 100 Lbs on the seat. As a note Pontiac V-8 engines from the factory had around 80 lbs on the seat. For aftermarket more aggressive cams and/or spring pressures over 100 lbs on the seat the 951R is recommended. The reason is because the internal valving tolerances in the 951's are not held as consistent so the bleed down rate is not as consistent. This is not an issue at all with factory cams and low spring pressure. The 951R's the internal valving tolerances are held much more consistent so the bleed down rate is better controlled. This is the reason the 951R cost more than the 951 because it costs more to hold the more consistent tolerance. There is no downside to running the 951R it just costs a little more than the 951.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
To clarify any confusion there are two Johnson Lifter companies, Johnson Lifter and Hy-Lift Johnson. Hy-Lift Johnson is the one you want and they make the superior lifter in fact the only HFT lifter I would ever use. I was a Hy-Lift Johnson distributor when I had Tomahawk Performance Products. Based on conversations I had with Dave Popp at Hy-Lift Johnson I was told their 951 is a stock replacement lifter and recommended for factory cams with spring pressures with a max of 100 Lbs on the seat. As a note Pontiac V-8 engines from the factory had around 80 lbs on the seat. For aftermarket more aggressive cams and/or spring pressures over 100 lbs on the seat the 951R is recommended. The reason is because the internal valving tolerances in the 951's are not held as consistent so the bleed down rate is not as consistent. This is not an issue at all with factory cams and low spring pressure. The 951R's the internal valving tolerances are held much more consistent so the bleed down rate is better controlled. This is the reason the 951R cost more than the 951 because it costs more to hold the more consistent tolerance. There is no downside to running the 951R it just costs a little more than the 951.
I bought a set from you years back when you had Tomahawk.

Excellent lifter still in service today and working perfectly.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whichever lifters you end up with, disassemble and clean them very well.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-09-2020, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just be prepared, the Hylift/Johnson lifters just recently pretty much doubled in price. They are well over $100 now.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 03-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
Just be prepared, the Hylift/Johnson lifters just recently pretty much doubled in price. They are well over $100 now.
Hey bud long time no hear

Does that mean the hydraulic rollers are also now available?

Old 03-10-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
If they don't have problems, they are worth a lot more!

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
They are a lot more

Old 03-11-2020, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I forget what I paid, that was a few years back, but they weren't overly expensive. More than other run of the mill stuff but what you would expect when you get a good quality product.

Old 03-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I forget what I paid, that was a few years back, but they weren't overly expensive. More than other run of the mill stuff but what you would expect when you get a good quality product.
For a Company no to take advantage of a situation.... But that's why I'm not rich

Old 03-11-2020, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
For a Company no to take advantage of a situation.... But that's why I'm not rich

It sounds like the old saying I guess........we get what we pay for.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
I'll Pay for whatever works!!!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 03-11-2020, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
It sounds like the old saying I guess........we get what we pay for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I'll Pay for whatever works!!!
Therein lies the problem.... They are not guaranteed to work.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:59 PM

Well... My new CC Lifter just collpased out of the box, not holding pressure and bleeding oil all over the galley making top end dry... I need these GOOD lifters.

Old 06-06-2020, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karck View Post
Well... My new CC Lifter just collpased out of the box, not holding pressure and bleeding oil all over the galley making top end dry... I need these GOOD lifters.
Let me know when you find them

Old 06-07-2020, 04:36 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...r/make/pontiac

Looking at the part number. Seems to be one mentioned before in thread. Id like get orginal Johnson lifters that were in my engine probably from factory.
Way better quality than CC.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:16 AM

Found this thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...-why-some.html

Someone said:

ISKY Quiet Power 202HY Anti-Pump-Up
Hydraulic flat tappet Superlifters (2 oil holes)
Manufactured by Johnson/HyLift/Topline

Is this ture? Incase im gonna get some of those then...

Old 06-10-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of the information on the Hy-Lift Johnson website with regards to their Hyd Flat Tappet lifters for Pontiac is deceiving and some is incorrect. Their 951 is a stock replacement lifter for factory stock cams and low spring pressure 80-100 lb on the seat max. The difference between their 951 and the 951R is how consistent the leak down rate is controlled which requires closer tolerances which is why they cost more. The 951R's will handle more spring pressure and more aggressive cam profiles. I found this out when I was a Hy-Lift Johnson dealer and was told this on the phone with the guy that runs the shop. Unless you have a factory cam and valve springs go with the 951R as said above there is no down side. Ken Brewer told me that he stopped selling the 951 because some customers would complain of tickers when they ran aftermarket cams but when he started selling only the 951R's no more complaints.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Corcoran View Post
Some of the information on the Hy-Lift Johnson website with regards to their Hyd Flat Tappet lifters for Pontiac is deceiving and some is incorrect. Their 951 is a stock replacement lifter for factory stock cams and low spring pressure 80-100 lb on the seat max. The difference between their 951 and the 951R is how consistent the leak down rate is controlled which requires closer tolerances which is why they cost more. The 951R's will handle more spring pressure and more aggressive cam profiles. I found this out when I was a Hy-Lift Johnson dealer and was told this on the phone with the guy that runs the shop. Unless you have a factory cam and valve springs go with the 951R as said above there is no down side. Ken Brewer told me that he stopped selling the 951 because some customers would complain of tickers when they ran aftermarket cams but when he started selling only the 951R's no more complaints.

Which ones did you sell? I bought mine from you years ago.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed Hi-Lifts .... one or two non-rotators on new Melling 068 cam. Who knows what the problem was. Got a another new Melling 068 cam, set of NOS Pontiac lifters .... all good.

When I carefully mic'ed the Hi-Lift, two off shore but quality brands, and the NOS Pontiac lifters the Pontiac lifers were far and away the most accurate, there was one off shore brand ... the one with the hardened "cap" on the face, that was very close to the NOS Pontiac. The Hi-Lifts were somewhat inconsistent in face taper and face perpendicularity. However ... they did have about 20 minutes of run time on them when I checked them.

The NOS Pontiac lifters were accurate beyond my ability to measure. With a perfect .002" taper on the face.

Keep in mind my problems could have been the cam, could have been other factors.

Personally when it comes to the HFT failure thing, I think it has nothing to do with materials or oil, I think it's more likely inconsistent machining in either lobes or lifter faces that prevent proper rotation and all it takes is a couple of minutes of no rotation and the lifter is done.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When it comes to hydraulic flat tappets, I've used all kinds of crap for lifters. Everything from Melling, Crane, Comp, Hy Lift, mismatched brands with different camshaft brands, and even the cheapest priced over the counter lifters from the local auto parts store back when I didn't have any money, threw those on a used camshaft, then proceeded to daily drive it for 4-5 years lol.

Never once a flat tappet cam failure.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: