Old 03-27-2019, 09:34 PM

Cool PLEASE HELP WITH MY CAR

Okay so im 20 and fairly knowledgable about older cars im a barter king i love trading and all that. Well ive acquaried a 1980 pontiac grand prix LJ with a 265 4.3 v8 and i was wondering what are the options of carberators i have to swap out the original m2me dual jet 210. Ive seen some online for cheap but idk what all fit my intake i know i have pontiacs 2 year made motor so im just curious. Its all original 67000 miles. Carb i have on it i did s rebuild kit on it and itll wanna fire but im not sure the air fuel mixture screws are correct and if they are then idk why it isnt firing. Good fuel pressure and spark. New rotor and cap and coil and plugs and im just looking for advice thank you guys! #firstforumpost

Old 03-27-2019, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think you're just limited to the later model dual jets for that intake, but I could be wrong. Possibly an older rochester 2-jet might bolt on but I wouldn't know without physically trying it out myself.
Regardless, I think you should be able to diagnose the problem with your OEM carb with a little determination. Seems like it should be something simple, that was possibly botched up when the carb was rebuilt. I wonder if the needle might be stuck in the seat. Or (Same Thing) the float is stuck in the "UP" position.
Have you sprinkled some gas down the throat of the carb to see if the engine will start for a few seconds? I would start by filling the bowl through the vent tube with a tiny funnel. Then manually pull the throttle while you look down the carb to see if the accellerator pump squirts.

There are lots of knowledgable people on here. Keep giving us feedback and we will try to get you up and running.

BTW 1978-80 Grand Prix are nice cars. They just get a bad rap because it was at the hieght of the smog era and first downsized GP.
Hope you get the problem fixed and stay on here for a while. Post a picture of your car if you have time.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 03-27-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you getting any fuel out of the carb at all? If you move the throttle back and forth you should see fuel squirt into the manifold. In most cases it wouldn't matter how the mixture was set the engine would at least fire and start. It might not stay running but it would at least try. Have you pulled a couple of plugs to see if the cylinders are getting any fuel? Too much fuel and flooded the plugs?

Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Have you pulled a couple of plugs to see if the cylinders are getting any fuel? Too much fuel and flooded the plugs?
I had an '80 Lemans that would load the plugs at the drop of a hat when it was cold. Then it wouldn't start unless I took out all the plugs and dried them with a lighter. This was incidently the same Dual-Jet carb as OP, except on a 229 V-6.
I found out after owning the car for a couple years that there was a dry rotted vacuum hose on the carb that was causing the poor idle. Don't know why I never noticed it before then. I can't remember if it was for the choke pull-off, or something else. It idled like a champ after I put a new piece of hose on.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:24 PM

Yes the squirter squirts and yes it floods it out. The plugs when i took out were gassy. The engine wants to start but then sometimes it doesnt while messing with the air fuel screws. I didnt adjust the float when i rebuilt it figured it was fine but the needles was corroded and i didnt spray it all with carb cleaner. Float causing to much fuel to pass? And drowning out spark?

Old 03-27-2019, 11:27 PM

Can someone find me a correct link for a carb that would fit on my intake? So i can put that on and check out the original one?

Old 03-27-2019, 11:38 PM

Default Im the same guy who made this thread i had account issues so i had to make another

Im the same guy who made this thread by the way had issues lol

Old 03-27-2019, 11:43 PM

Default Would this fit?

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BoCu60QAvD_BwE

Old 03-27-2019, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Float sticking open could definately cause the flooding. This was a semi common issue on the old 2-jets. They would flood so much, raw gas could be seen seeping out from the base gasket on the intake manifold. The trick of the trade was to rap the side or top of the carb body (where the float is located) with a small hammer.

Sounds like your carb might have a piece of dirt or debri stuck in the seat, if you weren't thorough cleaning after disassembly...
If you order a back-up carb, make sure it is for a 1980 or older. 1981 and up would be computerized. I think the Dual Jets for the 301 2 bbl (Y Code) are basically the same. 231 V-6 after 1977 might also be the same, but I would cross reference them on NAPA or Advance Auto website to be sure.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:03 AM

I would say its the needle n float not seated or needs cleaned more thoroughly for sure. And adjust the float. I appreciate all the help if i can get a picture to upload id upload it!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980pontiacgrandprixLJ View Post
I appreciate all the help if i can get a picture to upload id upload it!
I believe you have to have some minimum number of posts before you can upload pictures (and posts in the lobby don't add to your post count.) There are separate tech forums down below, try posting in the appropriate one - it will add to your post count, plus it may attract more replies to your problem. Good luck with it.

I'm not familiar with your specific carburetor, but in general terms often the problem is even after a rebuild there may have been some dirt or varnish or corrosion that was missed, so you have to go through and do it again. An ultrasonic cleaner can help, you can get a pretty inexpensive one from Harbor Freight.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980grandprixLJ4.3 View Post
Okay so im 20 and fairly knowledgable about older cars im a barter king i love trading and all that. Well ive acquaried a 1980 pontiac grand prix LJ with a 265 4.3 v8 and i was wondering what are the options of carberators i have to swap out the original m2me dual jet 210. Ive seen some online for cheap but idk what all fit my intake i know i have pontiacs 2 year made motor so im just curious. Its all original 67000 miles. Carb i have on it i did s rebuild kit on it and itll wanna fire but im not sure the air fuel mixture screws are correct and if they are then idk why it isnt firing. Good fuel pressure and spark. New rotor and cap and coil and plugs and im just looking for advice thank you guys! #firstforumpost
There’s some good You Tube videos for working on carbs; my son is using one to work on his Quadra Jet, might try them.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.