Old 05-13-2020, 06:58 AM
Senior Chief

Default Water Pump Wisdom

I'm installing my new Flowkooler and have a couple of questions:

1. I can't remember if I used Permatex sealant (Ultra Gray) on my last install, should I use it?

2. I purchased the new Stainless Steel divider plate and I am struggling to get it to bend for clearance. Thinking about cleaning up my old plate and using it.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 05-25-2020, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used blue permatex when I put my water pump on. No leaks. As for the clearancing of the plate I would think light taps with a dead blow should do it. Mine was already clearanced close enough when I did the water pump install

Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i always use something on water pump gaskets, the ultra grey & black is great stuff. just dont overdo it, use a very thin 1/8" bead or even thin it out with your fingers before assembly, use on both gaskets. & if the intake to cover area is pitted at all a thin layer on the rubber O-ring wont hurt either. anti seize on the bolts too & dont over tighten. after a few heat cycles snug the bolts up again.

the stainless plates are much harder metal & dont bend as easily or evenly as the stamped steel ones, if its in good shape just reuse the original if you cant get teh stainless one to clearance right.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: