Old 06-07-2020, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 72 exhaust muffler hanger

I'm installing my new exhaust. There was one side of the dual exhaust on the car when I got it. That hanger has another piece bolted to the hanger that has a tongue that slips under the u bolt (threads down) of the muffler to hold the muffler up to the hanger to body. The other side hanger was in parts with car, but no extra tongue hanger with it. Can these be purchased? I haven't seen them listed. Also, when using that set up, the u bolt clamp doesn't tighten the perimeter of muffler pipe uniformly. Due to the offset of tongue under the u bolt. So, not sure if this would leak when tightened. This is all using 2 1/4" u bolts. If I were to eliminate the extra tongue hanger piece that bolts to the hanger, and use the u bolts (threads up) the u bolt is too big for the hole diameters in the hanger and the spacing is too narrow about 3/16" bolting directly. What have others done with stock dual exhaust?