Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Special ordering new vehicles

I'll probably be getting a new truck in the spring, I usually order the previous years model in the last month of the next year that they still allow ordering. I'm cheap so what they have on the lots is never what I want. And I've noticed dealers will let an ordered vehicle go cheap since they have no loan cost, lot costs or advertising costs associated .... just comes off the truck, they call me and I come get it.

Anyway ... these days I can seldom order just what I want because of all the stupid "package" restrictions. Like if you want aluminum wheels you have to get a certain option package, or if you just want power windows and no power locks etc.

Well ... I was wondering if anyone knows if there is another level of "Special Order" that is not covered on the corporate websites. A method where I can get specifically the items I want irregardless of package requirements. I understand that there will be powertrain limitations ... like some transmissions won't fit some engines etc.

As recently as 2000 I was able to order a GMC with just about any combination of options I wanted ... now, as far as the websites are concerned .... you gotta do stuff like order a $1600 package to get power windows, or a $2500 package to get aluminum wheels, etc.

Can I sit down at a dealership and order a vehicle with option combinations outside of these "packages" ?

Old 06-20-2020, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm thinking about new GMC also. Be curious about your request.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the "Consumer Driven" marketplace, they know how to adjust the price point to maximize your capitol expenditure ...
Maybe they will throw in the Trucoat. "Without that Trucoat, you will get Oxidation! "

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-20-2020, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'll probably be getting a new truck in the spring, I usually order the previous years model in the last month of the next year that they still allow ordering. I'm cheap so what they have on the lots is never what I want. And I've noticed dealers will let an ordered vehicle go cheap since they have no loan cost, lot costs or advertising costs associated .... just comes off the truck, they call me and I come get it.

Anyway ... these days I can seldom order just what I want because of all the stupid "package" restrictions. Like if you want aluminum wheels you have to get a certain option package, or if you just want power windows and no power locks etc.

Well ... I was wondering if anyone knows if there is another level of "Special Order" that is not covered on the corporate websites. A method where I can get specifically the items I want irregardless of package requirements. I understand that there will be powertrain limitations ... like some transmissions won't fit some engines etc.

As recently as 2000 I was able to order a GMC with just about any combination of options I wanted ... now, as far as the websites are concerned .... you gotta do stuff like order a $1600 package to get power windows, or a $2500 package to get aluminum wheels, etc.

Can I sit down at a dealership and order a vehicle with option combinations outside of these "packages" ?

IDK but I think your best bet would be to get in touch with the “fleet sales department “ of a larger dealer. It’s worth a shot. I know when I was looking at Transit vans the fleet sales could get combos that the new car sales manager said were not available.

Good hunting!
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-20-2020, 09:53 AM

[QUOTE=Murf;6152490]IDK but I think your best bet would be to get in touch with the “fleet sales department “ of a larger dealer. It’s worth a shot. I know when I was looking at Transit vans the fleet sales could get combos that the new car sales manager said were not available.

Good hunting!

Yea, good thought on using the fleet department, but all orders submitted for a unique fleet build combination require a FIN, or Fleet Identification Number to ensure it’s a real fleet for proper discount, etc.
I don’t think a guy off the street can get a “fleet” spec build unit without a FIN.......at least not according to the manufacturers rules

Old 06-20-2020, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did not know that. The fleet manager at the local Ford store seemed more than willing to work with me on a Transit van. I didn’t end up buying, so I’m not sure how it would have worked.
Maybe the dealers use someone’s fleet number. I’ve experienced that at parts / tire stores. They would sell the product on a cash ticket to a major company that had a account and a lower price schedule.
A vehicle is a much larger item. I not sure they do it that way. It never hurts to give it a try.

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 06-20-2020, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back when I was in sales at a GMC store (2004) we could still order a truck mostly like someone wanted it. Back then we had a fleet department and I know some vehicles went out to private individuals, usually someone that was a friend or family . But a lot of things have changed since then.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-21-2020, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I once picked up some parts at a GMC "truck dealership" ... it only sold trucks, both commercial and "regular" ... I don't mean dealer that chose to only sell trucks, it is some kind of GMC truck only dealer. .... Anyway, they seemed to be able to get things other dealers couldn't. I wanted rear wheel well inserts for a brand new 1500 that are optional from the factory. They were the only place I could find that would/could order them.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:52 PM

When I ordered a new dodge ram in 2006 I ordered it fully loaded and deleted things I didn't want.dealer said never done that before,but they accepted the oderr and I got the truck. Window sticker looked different .went from 37000 to 21000 still have the truck

1977 corvette (the wifes)
The Following User Says Thank You to ctrcreek For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very interesting, I did notice that there are quite a few delete options. I'll have to look into that.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:03 AM
Senior Chief

Maybe not quite on topic but I too was in the market for a new truck. Visited the largest volume dealer for Fords in the country. They had a sign that showed the top 10 volume sales and Brandon Ford sold more than Planet Ford in Texas.

You would never know the country was in a recession by the traffic in that dealership. I was only there about 20 minutes and saw 3 new SD diesels drive off the lot. The place was packed. I had put a list together of about a dozen trucks last Sunday to look at. By midweek half were sold.

What I wanted was a little odd. I needed a specific rear axle ratio/engine combination. What I found is 90% of the time that combination was a fleet or work truck with minimum creature comforts or technology. The nicer trucks did not normally come with the lower geared axle. I also noticed there are several builds that were very common in certain trim or model levels.

Interestingly I had two dealers who said they were not getting the trucks like they used to due to Covid. With the 2021 models supposed to be out soon I imagine there won't be any orders taken for 2020 trucks. Also heard there maybe delays for 2021 SD trucks because of Covid.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My usual method would be ordering a 2020 truck in March or early April of 2021. Typically within the last couple of weeks that you can still order. By delivery date I'm good for all the incentives trying to dump the last of the 2020 models.

My typical options would be:

Regular cab, long bed, 2WD
HD suspension
Tow package
V8 (something like a 5.3)
Locking Diff ( something from 3.2 - 3.55)
HD alternator
Trailer wiring/controller
Rubber floors, vinyl seats
Standard radio
Aluminum wheels ( I usually have to buy OEM take-offs post purchase)
Spray on bedliner

Basically no luxury items other than what comes standard on a base model. I am thinking about power windows this time.

Usually post purchase I get rear wheel well liners, color matching mud guards and aluminum wheels.

Very basic truck, I have no use for sound systems, blue-tooth anything, I like keys, seat is warm after I sit in it so no heated seats, no desire for chrome goodies or flashy anything. I can usually find what I want for about $26,000 or less.

Last edited by dataway; 06-22-2020 at 12:53 AM.