Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default rhoads v max

So a while ago I had my 455 rebuilt. Had a new HFT cam and rhoads vmax lifters installed also. While the intake/valley pan was off the lifters were set at .018 lash. Ran it on the dyno and had bearing issue. Engine was torn down again and fixed . A different person at the machine shop installed the lifters and set the lash. I dont believe he set them correctly.They went to run it on the dyno and they couldnt get it started,,i was told it would just pop and fart.They let it set overnight and set the lash again the next day and they got it running but never removed the intake. Its been back in the car now for awhile but since the car is still in the middle of a restoration it hasnt been driven down the road. While idling, the passenger side sounds noisier than the driver side as far as valve train noise. So,,,the car has been sitting about a week since I last started it. Today i popped the pass. valve cover off so I could check the lash and see where the machine shop set them. I rolled the motor over and checked 2 cylinders. Just when the exhaust started to open,i checked that intake. I tried my .018 feeler and couldnt get it in. Then I tried a .012 and the same thing. Then tried a .008 and had to push hard but got it in there but with too much pressure. Then I went back to the .012 and with force I got it in. To me it sounds like these are too tight but without the intake/valley pan off I cant see whats going on in there. Youre supposed to insert feeler gauge,tighten nut til the plunger bottoms out in the lifter shell and the valve begins to open. Back off til the valve closes and you can just spin the pushrod and then lock it down. At this point the plunger should be pretty much at the bottom of the shell and not against the retainer clip. But It says you can adjust these after the engine is together and has been run. If these lifters have been run and have oil in them can they give false readings? It makes me wonder if the guy didnt know how to set vmaxs,,tried to run it on the dyno,,wouldnt run ,,then they set the lash with the engine on the dyno but with the intake on how can you do it properly if you cant see the lifter plunger?

Last edited by scott70; 06-29-2020 at 09:22 PM.