Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Nerd Restoration Experiments

As an outcome of not really being able to get some body bushing I wanted in the color, material, price etc. I thought I would use some liquid urethane I've had lying around for the last 15 years.

It's about Shore 60A, maybe just a tad too soft, wrong color etc. but I just want to play around with the stuff. I cast some body cushion donuts using a piece of 1" OD pipe, and some 2" ID exhaust pipe. Done under some of the worst possible conditions as far as age of product, no degassing, no mold release (don't want silicone in my shop).

Rubber repop donut shown also.

Anyway, results were not horrible (no I'm not going to use them). Got some damage getting them out of their metal molds. Got me thinking though, this stuff adheres tremendously to clean metal, and even smooth metal in this case. Could be used for all kinds of mounts, vibration isolators, seals etc.

Wonder if the right product was used that OEM engine mounts could be rebuilt using a product like this rather than using the POS aftermarket pieces.

Curious .... anyone else played with this stuff? I know it doesn't make a lot of economic sense, but I know there are other restorers out there that like to experiment and try to reproduce things that either aren't made, or are made very poorly. ... Kind of like my Zinc plating buddies

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UrethaneCasting-1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	543987   Click image for larger version

Name:	UrethaneCasting-2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	543988   Click image for larger version

Name:	UrethaneCasting-3.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	543989  

Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=757075

Make prototype. Refine prototype. Plate pieces before pour. Make people jealous.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's great! Kind of amazing the 15-yr-old resin cured. No reason to think you couldn't do as well as any repro and probably better if you sorted through material properties. Good to know the urethane adhesion to metal is strong. Noted!

And that motor mount thread was awesome...

Thanks for sharing your nerd materials and fabrication stuff. Materials and process development was half my career so I enjoy all related posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew someone else probably messed with this stuff ... even the same brand I had lying around.

If I get a LOT of spare time I might try to find a used set of OEM mounts, clean them up, make a mold, burn the old rubber out, put the metal pieces in the mold, pour in some urethane and see what I end up with.

Old 07-02-2020, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_0BYvTkZ0o

Neat idea. I've have used grey gasket maker to stiffen up failing mounts like a dogbone and a trans mount on a BMW that was outrageously priced. Worked out well.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following User Says Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try,try again. You'll get it. Looks good thanks for sharing. Ingenuity. When working on old 'stuff' trying to fix,I say "cant be any more broker'.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly .... when option one is .. throw it in the garbage, option two can be anything