Old 07-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 400 tranny dipstick length

I filled my newly rebuilt 400 tranny with 20 pints (manual specs 19.2). My dipstick still reads low. It is barely showing on end of dipstick when hot and running. The stick is 23 1/2 " from tip to under the pull handle (just the metal). Ames catalogue says 24" for dipstick. Not sure where that is measured. What length should it be and how is it measured? I'm thinking I got the wrong stick with this disassembled car/motor when purchased.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

6 quarts in the trans & 4 in a 12" convertor / are you using stock pan ?

Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can pull out an original stick from one of my 400 turbos and measure with a picture if that helps. I just don't think they are all going to be the same though.

It's probably going to depend on the body style it's being used in, as the tubes are shaped differently and also different lengths. Meaning the stick has to go with the tube specified.

I have A body, F body, and truck here. They are all different from what I can see.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a 72 Lemans with stock pan. I know I messed up first filling it. Not sure how much that matters. I put 7 quarts in new rebuilt tranny with new torque convertor cold. Then I fired up the engine to operating temp and began adding. I added another 3 quarts, 10 quarts in all. It still appears low. Would a different torque convertor make a difference? I assume it has to be the same size as it has to fit the confines. Don't ask what kind it is. I asked my tranny rebuilder to source a new one for me.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

On my T-400, the dipstick fill mark it at the trans case/pan flange ( where they meet ). Maybe you can figure a length from that info.